Have any other karateka besides George Dillman been able to accomplish the point strike knockout?

Only summer, that much structure wasn't something I appreciated. My parents should've made me stay. Several of my friends went the same time, a couple of them loved it and stayed.
It’s only fun after you suffer and succeed and get promoted. Like some martial arts…

The fact of the matter is that CPR is capable of restarting the heart. Don’t take my word for it. Look it up.
Good idea...

If compressions alone revive someone, it is extremely unlikely that their heart was not beating. It may have been beating ineffectually, but it was beating.

Last edited:
It does sometimes. Chest compressions are too maintain circulation until you can get a defibrillator in on the action.

Well, CPR instructors reassure trainees that doing compression on someone who’s heart is still beating won’t kill them, all things being equal.
I don't know man. All I can say is that the chest thing will 100% cause a person to pass out. My obviously less than amateur medical take on it is that maybe prolonged compression ain't good? It was a long time ago but pretty sure it took about ten seconds. About the same as strangling someone to sleep, which is the reason I figured it had to do with the heart. Other than that I haven't the faintest idea how it works. But I don't make stuff up just to be cute, I swear it's not bull.

And yet you are conscious.
Allegedly. The neurologist told me that the damage clearly happened a long time ago, and the blockage was not instant, or I would have simply perished at that time. He also told me it's not operable, but the good news is that the right artery has grown three times larger to compensate and the blood flow to my basilar artery combined is nearly what it should be. So unless I am held down and kicked in the back of the head by three Army guys again, this time on the right side of my head, I should be OK.

In medical talk, the diagnosis was:

(1) Migraine headache without aura 346.10/G43.009
(2) Vertigo 780.4/R42
(3) Vertebrobasilar artery insuÉ°ciency 435.3/G45.0

Good idea...

If compressions alone revive someone, it is extremely unlikely that their heart was not beating. It may have been beating ineffectually, but it was beating.
Sure, this gets into the weeds quick. You have done more of this than I have for sure. Flatline equals adrenaline and chest compressions, you don’t shock a flatline. So, in this case electricity does not restart the heart, drugs and compression do. That said, it is possible that compressions may perfuse the cells in the heart enough to trigger enough action to restore function. If you have a conscious Vtac you commonly tell them to bear down to create a Vagus response that may act as a low grade cardio version. If that fails to restore normal rhythm then you give Adenosine but not compression. We could go on and on here but I think you know what I am speaking to here. My point is that the treatment varies depending on circumstance and that an absence of rhythm is not shockable, and therefore in that case electricity does not restart the heart.

Good idea...

Maybe. Certitude in medicine is dangerous.

Good idea...

Consider why we do cardio massage and in thoracic surgery rather than shock it. I am shocked we are having this discussion, it hurts my heart. Just kidding. I definitely don’t think I know more than you.

In the article you posted…

Attachments

• IMG_0303.png
    IMG_0303.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
Maybe. Certitude in medicine is dangerous.
🤔.

Was a infantry field medic, US Army 🪖... long ago...

at that time if there was a pulse...we did not give chest comparisons.
Only mouth to mouth, or might use an "oropharyngeal airway" if the patient was unconscious keeping the air way open.

Maybe times have changed 🤔

We did have a soldier one time who was brought into the ER not breathing...the doctor called it..
had us practice chest compressions on him...watching the results on an EKG... monitoring the heart action. Surprisingly some that looked like they had good technique were relatively ineffective.
Those who looked like they had bad technique showed effective compressions...

Last edited:
🤔.

Was a infantry field medic, US Army 🪖... long ago...

at that time if there was a pulse...we did not give chest comparisons.
Only mouth to mouth, or might use an "oropharyngeal airway" if the patient was unconscious keeping the air way open.

Maybe times have changed 🤔

Last I heard CPR doesn't even recommend mouth to mouth... it's just compressions now. Maybe someone who's certification is current can confirm or correct me on that.

Last I heard CPR doesn't even recommend mouth to mouth... it's just compressions now. Maybe someone who's certification is current can confirm or correct me on that.

This would be back in the 70s, things probably have changed since that time. I think most of the modern day medics probably use what we called "ambu bags" in applying CPR...

If one doesn't have any kind of device, ya gotta do, what ya gotta do...

As with anything medical

Always seek professional advice for questions concerning health or medical techniques..
Just offering some conversation from a long ago past..

Always thought that's what they're for- I could be wrong, basic first aid is the extent of my medical know how. I guess I should've googled before posting that.
Chest compressions in CPR pump the heart that's not pumping itself. I won't say that they've never pushed enough blood around and given the brain and autonomic nervous system and all the other bits and fiddly parts that go into making a living functioning human live and function time to recover from something... but chest compressions do not "restart" a heart.

It used to be, even if you scored one hundred percent on a Civil Service test you might be waiting years to get called to the Academy. If you scored ninety eight percent you had no chance. That’s how many people wanted that job back in the day.

Very few want that job now. But we still need cops, so, unfortunately, the pool to draw from has shrunken considerably. What the public gets is not the same.

We're definitely seeing people get through the hiring process today and even through the academy and field training who wouldn't have in the past. Lots of factors, including the quality and quantity of the applicants... When I started, we advertised a test, with 200 seats, and there was a line an hour before the test. After 200 were seated, many were turned away. Now? We're struggling to get people to apply at all. Again, lots of factors in that... People have different expectations today, and police work isn't always in line with that.

For brevity, I'm omitting the rest of your post... Suffice to say, on the front of bad cops or too many community ties, both have been problems since the first cop walked the first beat. Even the best agencies seem to cycle through peaks and "what they hell" periods.

"Public" CPR is compressions only; research supposedly showed that rescue breathing/mouth-to-mouth didn't really do all that much in the outcome, and people were reluctant to do anything. So the breaths got taken out of the ordinary range of CPR. EMTs and others doing more advanced care do use bags or other means, and we've been taught it and issued masks... but the real focus is on compressions until the EMTs arrive.

I like how multiple pages of tangent started because people couldn't agree on something that was asserted as something no one would question.
I’m generally skeptical of everything. Some might say, to a fault. I don’t take people’s word for much of anything. Which has gotten me into no small amount of trouble around here from time to time.

Don't drag me further into this. I've said my piece. 😅
It’s not an argument, it’s a discussion. It’s interesting stuff, I thought you would have interest in tasting the pot you stirred. In any case, there is a lot I don’t know, I am not a physician.

Latest Discussions

Back