Have any other karateka besides George Dillman been able to accomplish the point strike knockout?

This would be back in the 70s, things probably have changed since that time. I think most of the modern day medics probably use what we called "ambu bags" in applying CPR...

If one doesn't have any kind of device, ya gotta do, what ya gotta do...

As with anything medical

Always seek professional advice for questions concerning health or medical techniques..
Just offering some conversation from a long ago past..
Ambu bag is still a thing.

It’s not an argument, it’s a discussion. It’s interesting stuff, I thought you would have interest in tasting the pot you stirred. In any case, there is a lot I don’t know, I am not a physician.
calm down, big boy. It’s CPR. It’s not that interesting. I questioned whether compressions would restart the heart. That’s been well addressed.

I readily admitted I was wrong about chest compressions restarting heart in an earlier post after looking online! Sorry for derailing the thread y'all!

Last I heard CPR doesn't even recommend mouth to mouth... it's just compressions now. Maybe someone who's certification is current can confirm or correct me on that.
That is correct.
Compressions only move about 20% of the normal cardiac output. And they move air in and out of the lungs. It doesn't take much air to oxygenate that small an amount of blood. Mouth to mouth or Bag-Mask tend to insufflate the stomach. Which leads to vomiting. Which leads to aspiration. Which means less oxygenation.

I don't know man. All I can say is that the chest thing will 100% cause a person to pass out. My obviously less than amateur medical take on it is that maybe prolonged compression ain't good? It was a long time ago but pretty sure it took about ten seconds. About the same as strangling someone to sleep, which is the reason I figured it had to do with the heart. Other than that I haven't the faintest idea how it works. But I don't make stuff up just to be cute, I swear it's not bull.
I also did this as a kid. Hyper-ventilate for a few seconds and then hold your breath. Have your friend stand behind you, wrap his arms around your torso across the chest in a strong hug/squeeze. Keep holding your breath.

The next thing you will know is lying on the ground and looking up at your friends, wondering how you got there. It is very disorienting. It worked every time.

With all this first aid talk, it kind of reminds me of how every martial artist should learn some basic first aid.

But with that being the case, if you learn no-touch knockouts... it might be responsible of you to seek out one of those televangelists from that 80's that healed cripples on stage and learn how to do that. "You're HEALED!"

Chest compressions in CPR pump the heart that's not pumping itself. I won't say that they've never pushed enough blood around and given the brain and autonomic nervous system and all the other bits and fiddly parts that go into making a living functioning human live and function time to recover from something... but chest compressions do not "restart" a heart.

calm down, big boy. It’s CPR. It’s not that interesting. I questioned whether compressions would restart the heart. That’s been well addressed.
Quite calm, thanks. :)

Having been hit by George Dillman, I can assure you he does not strike lightly

He sure doesn’t, he can swat. He’s also as knowledgeable (history) a Martial Arts instructor as I’ve ever met.

And he knows an TON about the human body.

I always wondered why he got into some of the things he got into and didn’t take a different path.

I’ll tell you one thing, he sure isn’t boring. Big personality, very friendly.

If Throaty-Woaty, Touchy-Wuchy, Strikey-Wikey were a real skill, wouldn’t the police be taught how to do it? They wouldn’t need expensive Tazers or even guns. Also governments would have whole battalions of soldiers adept at Throaty-Woaty, Touchy-Wuchy, Strikey-Wikey.
Obviously never experienced industry training.

He sure doesn’t, he can swat. He’s also as knowledgeable (history) a Martial Arts instructor as I’ve ever met.

And he knows an TON about the human body.

I always wondered why he got into some of the things he got into and didn’t take a different path.

I’ll tell you one thing, he sure isn’t boring. Big personality, very friendly.
He probably believed it.

It isn't uncommon in martial arts.

But to be so deluded is unthinkable.
Not at all.

So for example you can do a course on healing crystals. People pay money to learn to use something that straight up doesn't work. There is almost no way you can be better or worse at this unless you hit people with them. Yet there is training to be good at it.

And people do it.

So that level of delusion is not unthinkable. It is so common that people can make a living out of it.

Well you wouldn't want an unqualified healing crystal practitioner treating you. Would you?

Wait. There is an advanced course.

He always managed to tap the carotid artery on the neck..What looked like a slight tap by someone trained, used on someone in a static neutral postion...

Even a slight interruption in the blood flow can cause loss of consciousness...
by someone highly trained to do so, demoing on those not trying to defend against it..

His theory, by using multiple timed strikes in a sequence on major artery points sounds plausible.
Is there anywhere you can see the original video?

I am not sure what you refer to, but the mechanism to what You describe here sound like triggering the baroreflex by mechanical strik to baroreceptors - the bodys fastest acute response to downregulation of blood pressure, via ANS control of the heart, downregulation HR within the next cycle and the result is often a temporary drop in blood pressure, fainting. If strike is hard I think the heart can almsot stop. There are baroreceptor cells (that exist in unusual high density in the necks carotid sinus. These cells are actual local blood pressure sensors, that trigger the baroreflex. So a strike to them, sets the regulatory system in panic mode.

The mechanism does not require cutting off or destructing the vessels, it is simply triggering the baroreceptor cells that triggers a natural body reflex.
Baroreceptor - Wikipedia
Baroreflex - Wikipedia

Latest Discussions

Back