Have any other karateka besides George Dillman been able to accomplish the point strike knockout?

It was for work
I bounced at a punk rock club when I was 21. There were fights every night, inside, outside, every side. It’s where as I got between two guys trying to stop their fight, one stabbed me in the face and ribs with a broken bottle and the other one chopped me on the head with a cue stick. Ah well, I made all of 50-60 bucks a night there. I can’t say it wasn’t fun, but I definitely took a couple solid beat downs there.

I’ve known plenty of people that enjoy hurting other people. Most of them have done time. Repeatedly.

I’ve also known people, on supposedly the right side of the law, that actually hope something bad happens so they can righteously hurt somebody that deserves it.

To me, they’re just as big of a problem, and a pain in the ****, as the bad guys are.

I’ve known plenty of people that enjoy hurting other people. Most of them have done time. Repeatedly.

I’ve also known people, on supposedly the right side of the law, that actually hope something bad happens so they can righteously hurt somebody that deserves it.

To me, they’re just as big of a problem, and a pain in the ****, as the bad guys are.
People in those positions went into those positions for the wrong reasons

I found it a double edged sword a bit.
If I was in a fight. I kind of wanted the other guys in that fight to want to be there.

I found it a double edged sword a bit.
If I was in a fight. I kind of wanted the other guys in that fight to want to be there.

I know what you mean. But after dealing with fights as a bouncer, doorman and cop, it got old fast. At least to me.

In high school there were always fights after school. What I noticed was, the person that usually won had the higher emotional content and aggressive component to their game plan than the other kid.

There was a kid who transferred to the school as a senior. His father was a known Wise Guy and apparently encouraged his son to make his presence respected, so he got into at least three fights a week after school, for several months. Which he won most of.

And the fights weren’t against mild mannered kids, but against other kids known to be fighters.

Then he called out a quiet kid, John, an undersized football player who was very
shy.

They fought. Come to find out John also knew how to box. He won easily. Then helped the bully up. And got suckered in the face doing so. So they went at it again, only this time the bully tackled him.

Another surprise, John also knew how to wrestle. Wiped the ground with him. Went to help him up again and said “if you hit me again I’ll get mad.”Then helped him up and said “no hard feelings” and calmly walked away.

We all stood there with our mouths open. It was then I realized that some people don’t need all the emotional bluster and offensive onslaught if they knew what they were doing.

Our sensei also tells us at unlike in our friendly dojo fighting (though with contact), when you goto these fighting bootcamps, there are sometimes some individuals that are just waiting to get the taste of blood, if they see someone weakening, they don't go easy, they go too hard just eo enjoy hurting someone.

Not nice.

Another surprise, John also knew how to wrestle. Wiped the ground with him. Went to help him up again and said “if you hit me again I’ll get mad.”Then helped him up and said “no hard feelings” and calmly walked away.

We all stood there with our mouths open. It was then I realized that some people don’t need all the emotional bluster and offensive onslaught if they knew what they were doing.
I can symphatized with this, sound a bit like me. The few "fights" I was involved with school was like that, it was strated by the school fighters, but as they realized how hard it was to take me down even when I haven't even got started, it scared them off. They didn't want to take the risk and make me mad for real. I think this psycholgoy, in that showing your self not weak, you scare those off that just want to taste easy blood.

Our sensei also tells us at unlike in our friendly dojo fighting (though with contact), when you goto these fighting bootcamps, there are sometimes some individuals that are just waiting to get the taste of blood, if they see someone weakening, they don't go easy, they go too hard just eo enjoy hurting someone.

Not nice.

I can symphatized with this, sound a bit like me. The few "fights" I was involved with school was like that, it was strated by the school fighters, but as they realized how hard it was to take me down even when I haven't even got started, it scared them off. They didn't want to take the risk and make me mad for real. I think this psycholgoy, in that showing your self not weak, you scare those off that just want to taste easy blood.

I’ve never experienced a fighting boot camp kind of place where people try to go after the weak. I don’t doubt there are places like that, but I don’t think they’d last any longer than a bad restaurant in a poor location.

Good fighters don’t do that. I know if they did and word got out, the tables would likely turn.

Which would be really funny and cool to watch.

I’ve never experienced a fighting boot camp kind of place where people try to go after the weak. I don’t doubt there are places like that, but I don’t think they’d last any longer than a bad restaurant in a poor location.

Good fighters don’t do that. I know if they did and word got out, the tables would likely turn.

Maybe if I do a fight camp for 8 year olds? Oh the shame!

We do under certain conditions because in competition people will chase you down. So we have to learn to manage that.

We do under certain conditions because in competition people will chase you down. So we have to learn to manage that.

Most of the guys in my gym were easy to chase down, they were on fast forward most of the match. They liked a distance that we called “inside their shirt.”

The more experienced, higher skilled, national competitors used to stay just out of range and pick you apart. If you let them. We didn’t let them.

Sure, you ran into some good shots blitzing in, but so did they.

The more experienced, higher skilled, national competitors used to stay just out of range and pick you apart.
This is the way I fought early on. It was fun and sort of like fencing, a game of tactics.
We didn’t let them.
This is the way I fought post-kenpo training, getting "inside their shirt" as you say. This has a joy all its own, as well as requiring a different combat mind set. Now I use both doctrines, depending on the opponent and my mood. In the street most of the time close-in is best IMO.

Latest Discussions

Back