Training at Multiple Dojos?

I will add that I should have made it clear that, in responding to the original poster's query, I am sharing my opinions and experiences as someone with a background; I would not, however, recommend that this be done by a white belt or by a novice with no prior martial arts training.
I disagree. Trying to learn two or more styles from scratch is a Big ask. A person who is well experienced in one style, continues to train in it, and begins to train in another will have a much easier time of it.

I disagree. Trying to learn two or more styles from scratch is a Big ask. A person who is well experienced in one style, continues to train in it, and begins to train in another will have a much easier time of it.
I respect that opinion

What would be the problem with doing so? To me, it’s simply polite to do so.

By count you should be doing everything from embroidery to monster truck…whatever it is they do.

Best of luck to you
Hello Gyakuto,

To avoid needless drama, I personally don't give it much thought, although there truly isn't a problem. As I previously stated, I'm from the US, where everything is a business. To me, this is no different than attending separate college courses or purchasing burgers from two distinct establishments. Most of my current instructors are "Americanized"; they either see you in class to provide instruction or they don't. They have enough experience in the field to realize that managing a dojo entails a rotating door of pupils who come and leave. I am aware of Japanese etiquette, but I'm not sure how I would feel if I were receiving instruction there. Once I am more immersed in the culture by actually training there, then my opinions may alter. A very interesting documentary video can be found on YouTube about a man who left his life in the UK to train with a high level Shorin Ryu instructor in Okinawa. He lived and trained there, paying the teacher with yard work and other odd jobs—the traditional method of giving back to a teacher for allowing you to live and train at the dojo, among other things. That's something I completely understand and appreciate, but in all honesty, none of those opportunities happen here in the US; Okinawa and Japan are just different, here you have the money to pay or you dont. In any case, I don't know whether I'll ever get the chance to experience what that man from the UK did, but I'll make the most of my time here in the US before I can't.
Here is the YT link to that documentary if anyone is interersted

best regards

Last edited:
Back