Training at Multiple Dojos?

It is definitly possible. I myself train 3 different styles of Karate, although, I have a very strong base in 1 style which allowed me to easily adapt to the other 2 I train. All the senseis know and tell me the same ole "cross training can hinder your current progress in our current system"..
They have been laxed on me cross training and did not give ultimatum or anything. Id never train with a school thats possesive like that, so I consider myself priviledged to have open minded instructors.

It is definitly possible. I myself train 3 different styles of Karate, although, I have a very strong base in 1 style which allowed me to easily adapt to the other 2 I train. All the senseis know and tell me the same ole "cross training can hinder your current progress in our current system"..
They have been laxed on me cross training and did not give ultimatum or anything. Id never train with a school thats possesive like that, so I consider myself priviledged to have open minded instructors.
What styles?

Has it been mentioned? If one train regularly in two(ore more) dojos, which one does one represent when entering competition ?

Back in my karate days(Shotokan(JKA)), in order to advance at least up at 4-1 kyu and 1-3 dan grades one had to enter competition to some extent .

Besides that , my personal view is to stay with one dojo/organization, if the dojo is affiliated with a respectable major organization the quality of dojo/teacher should be well enough for students positive advancement in the style.

May I ask if you hold a Dan grade in any of these styles? That is, are you accomplished in any/all of them?

Learning any martial art is about ingraining itā€™s movements through hard repetition so that the movements arise, as if by themselves, in a critical situation. Itā€™s almost reflexive, so I can only imagine a person training in several arts will unconsciously exhibit bits of all their practised arts.

Has it been mentioned? If one train regularly in two(ore more) dojos, which one does one represent when entering competition ?

Back in my karate days(Shotokan(JKA)), in order to advance at least up at 4-1 kyu and 1-3 dan grades one had to enter competition to some extent .

Besides that , my personal view is to stay with one dojo/organization, if the dojo is affiliated with a respectable major organization the quality of dojo/teacher should be well enough for students positive advancement in the style.
It doesnā€™t really matter.

Mabye if you are fighting your own guys. But otherwise..

May I ask if you hold a Dan grade in any of these styles? That is, are you accomplished in any/all of them?

Learning any martial art is about ingraining itā€™s movements through hard repetition so that the movements arise, as if by themselves, in a critical situation. Itā€™s almost reflexive, so I can only imagine a person training in several arts will unconsciously exhibit bits of all their practised arts.
I have a Dan grade in Shorin Ryu and started Kyokushin from scratch a few years ago, I am pretty much at blue belt level currently. I also cross train at a Shotokan school. I'm having fun with it and haven't had much trouble adapting; if anything, kyokushin's Sanchin stances and goju techniques took some getting accustomed to.

I don't really adhere to the practice of informing the instructor when practicing at other schools because I'm from the United States, and most dojos here run as businesses, unlike in Japan. Life is brief, and I enjoy karate; different styles are like different flavors of coffee; you only have one life, So i intend to explore the arts that fascinate me as much as my mind and body allow me. If I can handle the cross training, and If the dojo wants my business and is prepared to teach me for money, they have a student; it is none of their business what I do outside of the dojo; in fact, my instructors train in a variety of disciplines, including grappling (BJJ and Judo). Competitions are not a factor either as they are completely different organizations and style and I myself are not training to mainly compete, I just want to learn about the style.

Last edited:

I respect that, I just see the beauty in what the other Karate styles offer, I see what one style can offer that another can not, other ways of doing technique instead of this way or the highway type thinking. In regards to the JKA, (and this is not personally directed to you in response as an individual)it is a skillful org, but they are not for somone like me that explores, the JKA is a good example of the "possesive" kind I tend to steer clear of (especially with that letter that leaked giving their members a warning of "disciplinary action" if their members attended a seminar of another certain organization) nothing personal, but the thouhght of that just makes me aggravated..

I think alot of us underestimate our abilities as human beings in regards the capacity our mind and bodies can learn, if we can learn different instruments, school courses,why not different movements?

Last edited:
You have been asked 2 direct questions and have answered neither:
please LOOK closer and expand the quote response on first response, I have answered both

"I have a Dan grade in Shorin Ryu and started Kyokushin from scratch a few years ago, I am pretty much at blue belt level currently. I also cross train at a Shotokan school. I'm having fun with it and haven't had much trouble adapting; if anything, kyokushin's Sanchin stances and goju techniques took some getting accustomed to. "

I will add that I should have made it clear that, in responding to the original poster's query, I am sharing my opinions and experiences as someone with a background; I would not, however, recommend that this be done by a white belt or by a novice with no prior martial arts training.

I respect that, I just see the beauty in what the other Karate styles offer, I see what one style can offer that another can not, other ways of doing technique instead of this way or the highway type thinking. In regards to the JKA, (and this is not personally directed to you in response as an individual)it is a skillful org, but they are not for somone like me that explores, the JKA is a good example of the "possesive" kind I tend to steer clear of (especially with that letter that leaked giving their members a warning of "disciplinary action" if their members attended a seminar of another certain organization) nothing personal, but the thouhght of that just makes me aggravated..

I think alot of us underestimate our abilities as human beings in regards the capacity our mind and bodies can learn, if we can learn different instruments, school courses,why not different movements?
I absolutely understand you in exploring karate from several angles . I too did thatā€¦.i went to Okinawa and China. Just first, get a good solid base in one style, at least 5years I would say, however, thereā€™s a Japanese saying - ā€œthree years on a rockā€ meaning something as - to try something earnestly for three years then one cans make a good judgement if to go on with it or something else/other.

Itā€™s a long many years now I quit karate(but i still hold a liking and fascination in it). About the recent JKA letters can understand why they sent it out, already back when I trained there were students that jumped over to other Shotokan org that was to establish themselves in my hometown, they were literally coming to ā€œourā€ dojo trying to recruit over students, especially trying towards those who were the top competitors.

I don't really adhere to the practice of informing the instructor when practicing at other schools because I'm from the United States, and most dojos here run as businesses, unlike in Japan.
What would be the problem with doing so? To me, itā€™s simply polite to do so.
Life is brief, and I enjoy karate; different styles are like different flavors of coffee; you only have one life,
By count you should be doing everything from embroidery to monster truckā€¦whatever it is they do.
So i intend to explore the arts that fascinate me as much as my mind and body allow me. If I can handle the cross training, and If the dojo wants my business and is prepared to teach me for money, they have a student; it is none of their business what I do outside of the dojo; in fact, my instructors train in a variety of disciplines, including grappling (BJJ and Judo). Competitions are not a factor either as they are completely different organizations and style and I myself are not training to mainly compete, I just want to learn about the style.
Best of luck to you.

Back