Six Harmonies in Wing Chun

WC is not the proper system to train 6H. A beginner needs to learn how to coordinate foot with hand. But the 1st WC form lets the beginner to stand still and only move arms without moving the feet.

The difficult training level can be:

foot coordinate with hand < knee coordinate with elbow < hip coordinate with shoulder

WC doesn't give beginners an easy training form even for "foot coordinate with hand".

WC is not the proper system to train 6H. A beginner needs to learn how to coordinate foot with hand. But the 1st WC form lets the beginner to stand still and only move arms without moving the feet.

foot coordinate with hand < knee coordinate with elbow < hip coordinate with shoulder

WC doesn't give beginners an easy training form even for "foot coordinate with hand".
I think you are only partly correct, and even then, that's not considering the sweeping generalisation about what Wing Chun does.

Generalisation first: Wing Chun is so fractured into various groups that saying wat Wing Chun does about foot hand coordination is impossible. Some would train at it from the get-go, some might not, some somewhere in between.

Then about standing in one spot: Yes, we do the first form stationarily. This is to develop a strong stance and correct alignment of the body in relation to the centreline. Indeed, when I learned Sum Nung Wing Chun the only training, I did for about 4 months was stance work, nothing else. However, you do learn to coordinate the whole body, including the arms when you open and close your stance.

The idea of this training is that, without a strong stance you won't have as highly developed basis on which to build hand-foot coordination.

Followong the stance training comes learning to punch then the Turning Stance. When you learn Turning Stance, one of the primary points of the training is to develop coordination between hips, stance and hands. When I leaned that, and everything following it in Sum Nung Wing Chun, it was foot-hand coordination for about the next 7 years.

So, as is standard, Wing Chun already incorporates what you are talking about, at least how I learned it.

If you want to train

- kicking, your form needs to have a lot of kicks.
- 6H, your form needs to have a lot of footwork.

To train 6H, you need to have a form that's designed for that training purpose. The form needs to be moving around. This way, it's easier for a beginner to check whether or not his

- hand and foot start to move at the same time, and also
- hand and foot stop at the same time.

Last edited:
If you want to train

- kicking, your form needs to have a lot of kicks.
- 6H, your form needs to have a lot of footwork.

To train 6H, you need to have a form that's designed for that training purpose. The form needs to be moving around. This way, it's easier for a beginner to check whether or not his

- hand and foot start to move at the same time, and also
- hand and foot stop at the same time.

you do realize we are in a Wing Chun section talking about Wing Chun right?

I don't know how anybody can use the 1st WC form to train 6H. I show an example why the 1st WC form is not proper for that purpose.

Actually, the 1st WC form has violated the 6H principle big time - freeze the body and only move the arm.

Last edited:
Hands/feet
elbows/knees
Shoulders/hips

I disagree
In this video, where are the coordination of

- Hands/feet,
- elbows/knees,
- Shoulders/hips?

At least, in this video, you can clearly see the elbow/knee coordination.

- elbow bend, knee bend.
- elbow straight, knee straight.

Last edited:
In this video, where are the coordination of

- Hands/feet,
- elbows/knees,
- Shoulders/hips?

At least, in this video, you can clearly see the elbow/knee coordination.

- elbow bend, knee bend.
- elbow straight, knee straight.

I think you have a bit of a misconception as to what the 6 harmonies are about....

I think you have a bit of a misconception as to what the 6 harmonies are about....
My definition of 6H is

所谓“外三合”是指“肩与胯合,肘与膝合,手与足合”
内三合”是指“心与意合,意与气合,气与力合”

EXTERNAL
Foot corresponds to Hand
Elbow corresponds to Knee
Shoulder corresponds to Hip

INTERNAL
Mind leads Intent
Intent leads Blood
Blood leads Chi

Do you have different definition of 6H?

Last edited:

Have you learned wing chun's second form/chum kiu?

He is always preaching about how "his" wing chun seems to be lacking. Honestly, not sure why he even converses here in this forum.

I have learned all 3 WC forms. I'm talking about the 1st WC form for beginners.
If you think the 1st form lacks these things, and you can't wait to learn them in the 2nd form, then perhaps wing chun isn't for you.
Wing chun forms are the alphabet.
1st form = ABC's etc.
2nd form = basic grammar, punctuation.

If you think the 1st form lacks these things, and you can't wait to learn them in the 2nd form, then perhaps wing chun isn't for you.
Wing chun forms are the alphabet.
1st form = ABC's etc.
2nd form = basic grammar, punctuation.
The 1st beginner WC form is to build WC foundation. the 6H foundation is not built during the 1st WC form training.

If WC care about 6H, 6H should exist in the first WC form. After the beginners get used to "freeze the body and only move arms", it will take extra time for beginners to learn 6H after that.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back