Dropped my sparring partner, so he says

I myself use alot of stop-punches, I like it. But not in the sense ot leaving the arm out there after a strike, that is too obvious.
When it's left out, Is more like someone running towards you and you punch but you don't let the punch collapse or return, so your punch turns into a pole that prevents your opponent from continuing to move forward. You aren't posing with it, but you are creating a "stiff arm" after the punch.

As said already for stop-punches solid structure is key. Here I prefer to be rooted properly on the heels down. Then it is like running into an iron bar. As the power comes from your opponents weight, all you have to do is time and maintain balance.
Yes this is what it felt like from the impact on my end. When I ran into someone's fist. There was nothing there, I moved in, and whatever I moved into didn't move. It didn't pop my head back. Shuffle step into a staff end, and that's what the punch felt like.

It also felt like that when I hit my sparring partner. I didn't add any power, but I tighted up that arm as he jumped towards me. He basically impaled himself and had to take a knee. When I did, it I instinctively stiffened my arm not to strike, but to stop his forward movement, because it was like he was trying to jump within grappling range.

Believing there is only one "fight zone" can lead to problems. At 3:55, Randy touches on that "If you're thinking punch [the guard or leave extended]..."

@1:33 Black thinks he's safe from a kick, but if Red brings his rear foot to his lead foot, then he will have range for a side kick. A side kick is going to have more distance than that low kick to the leg. The low kick to the leg is not the longest range kick in the tool box.
1725462264174.png

Randy touches on that "If you're thinking punch [the guard or leave extended]
He also bases his Safe Zone on the kicking ability of his opponent. Which is what I was saying earlier.

Randy touches on that "If you're thinking punch [the guard or leave extended]..."
Long fist doesn't have this issue because the same movement we use to puch is the same movement we use to hook an incoming kick or to move an incoming kick out of the way. In application Jow Ga long fist punches start either at the bottom or mid range so that the direction of the punch can be changed in the event a kick comes at the of the punch, the punch can then dive to deal with an incoming kick.

This is one of Jow Ga's swing patterns. This is as simple as it gets for Jow Ga students. A kick in any of these zones can be intercepted by Long fist. The tirection of the swing doesn't matter. I'm not saying that we can't be kicked while punching. But I am saying the defense against kicks is built in the the technique.
1725464836545.png

@1:33 Black thinks he's safe from a kick, but if Red brings his rear foot to his lead foot, then he will have range for a side kick. A side kick is going to have more distance than that low kick to the leg. The low kick to the leg is not the longest range kick in the tool box.
View attachment 31623
If Red brings his rear foot to his lead foot, then it can be a telegraph like with your sanda guy.

As the opponent steps from the safe range, you can step maintaining the safe range.

Last edited:
You say that this is a safe zone and I'm telling you that it isn't for the the very reason you are stating above. Because a good kicker can reach you.

1725385862235.png
Just want to clarify this from a BJJ perspective.

If someone calls this the "safe zone", it doesn't mean that the opponent can't quickly move in and strike. It means that the opponent has to move their feet in order to reach with any sort of unarmed attack (even a long range kick). That gives the defender significantly more time to react than would be available if the opponent could strike without moving their feet.

It also means that (assuming available unobstructed room to move) the defender can just move backwards when they see the attacker moving forward, without having to accurately read exactly what sort of attack is coming from what angle. Of course, the attacker can generally run forward while attacking faster than a defender can run backwards - but that sort of fully (over)committed charge is one of the things that classic BJJ doctrine is designed to provoke, because it makes obtaining a clinch easier.

(In one of your other posts you talk about the importance of stepping 45 degrees offline while attacking. This is generally an excellent tactic, but it doesn't allow you to move forward quickly enough to catch someone who just backs up every time you step.)

If Red brings his rear foot to his lead foot, then it can be a telegraph like with your sanda guy.
1. Anything can be telegraphed
2. Telegraph does not affect range. I could yell out the technique I will perform, and the range will still be the same.

As the opponent steps from the safe range, you can step maintaining the safe range.
This is not what happens when you bring your rear foot to your lead leg. If your lead leg is 6ft away from wall, then it will still be 6ft away from the wall when you bring your rear foot close to your lead leg.

In this example, I have increased the range of my punching and kicking without closing the 6ft distance.

I didn't add any power, but I tighted up that arm as he jumped towards me. He basically impaled himself and had to take a knee. When I did, it I instinctively stiffened my arm not to strike, but to stop his forward movement, because it was like he was trying to jump within grappling range.
Yes I get it, that is exactly what I call "stop punch", the purpose is to STOP something from charging into you, or to just maintain distance. The more they comitt to charging into you, the more damage do they take.

If someone calls this the "safe zone", it doesn't mean that the opponent can't quickly move in and strike. It means that the opponent has to move their feet in order to reach with any sort of unarmed attack (even a long range kick).
That's different from striking because many times that step is the attack and not to close the distance. The concept that my feet do not move when attacking is not a practical one for striking. So to base "safe zone" on that would be misleading.

That gives the defender significantly more time to react than would be available if the opponent could strike without moving their feet.
This would be more accurate than "Safe zone" Base the zone on rreaction time from less time to more time and then stick "Safe Zone" someone on the end at a distance where the attacker is unable to attack.

This is generally an excellent tactic, but it doesn't allow you to move forward quickly enough to catch someone who just backs up every time you step.)
lol I might have a video showing this. But yeah if they go straight back they can escape the 45. I walk back a lot and it's more difficult to get that 45 dree angle.

Yes I get it, that is exactly what I call "stop punch", the purpose is to STOP something from charging into you, or to just maintain distance. The more they comitt to charging into you, the more damage do they take.
This is what I'm wondering what the extended punches may represent. A "Stop punch" where the arm is left extended for a short amount of time to prevent people trying to run through a punch., Or to run interference to prevent or delay an incoming strike long enough to recover to a safer position.

I'll have to look at some of the blocks to see if they stop for the purpose of establishing a specific structure.

Last edited:
1. Anything can be telegraphed
I've said to step (change) when the opponent cannot change (double weighted), making non telegraphing moot. A step may be hidden. I may control when you attack by changing ranges.

2. Telegraph does not affect range. I could yell out the technique I will perform, and the range will still be the same.

This is not what happens when you bring your rear foot to your lead leg. If your lead leg is 6ft away from wall, then it will still be 6ft away from the wall when you bring your rear foot close to your lead leg.

In this example, I have increased the range of my punching and kicking without closing the 6ft distance.
I know, you are explaining a half step. However when you bring your rear foot to your lead leg, I can bring my lead foot to my rear leg (action/reaction principle) maintaining the distance.

When you kick, you have to lift your lead leg and lean. To punch, you have to land your lead leg and/or shift your weight from one foot to the other. During which, I may move too.

That's different from striking because many times that step is the attack and not to close the distance. The concept that my feet do not move when attacking is not a practical one for striking. So to base "safe zone" on that would be misleading.
You are already in the fight zone if you can strike/reach the opponent without stepping. The fight zone is not dependent on whether you step, only that you are in reach.

The safe zone means the opponent has to step in order to reach you as Tony says.

This would be more accurate than "Safe zone" Base the zone on reaction time from less time to more time and then stick "Safe Zone" someone on the end at a distance where the attacker is unable to attack.
Safe zone means we are not able to brawl or trade punches. The opponent's necessity to step gives me more reaction time to maintain the safe zone by also moving.

lol I might have a video showing this. But yeah if they go straight back they can escape the 45. I walk back a lot and it's more difficult to get that 45 dree angle.
Then get the opponent to move in. Again, you may control them by switching between ranges. Double weight the opponent before stepping.

You are already in the fight zone if you can strike/reach the opponent without stepping. The fight zone is not dependent on whether you step, only that you are in reach.

The safe zone means the opponent has to step in order to reach you as Tony says.

Safe zone means we are not able to brawl or trade punches. The opponent's necessity to step gives me more reaction time to maintain the safe zone by also moving.

Then get the opponent to move in. Again, you may control them by switching between ranges. Double weight the opponent before stepping.
We are just going to disagree with on this one.

Your definitions of Safe Zone
1725489972308.png

Is not the same as my definition of safe zone. For striking, The safe zone is the distance at which my opponent won't or can't attack from. It's like a lion hunting. If I put a person on a field with a lion. The safe zone is the distance at which the lion won't attack. if it's charging me then it's attacking. How does one know the lion has broken the safe zone? It attacks. This is how I see striking

We are just going to disagree with on this one.

Your definitions of Safe Zone
View attachment 31629
No, I agree with Randy and simply call that the fight zone, where they can reach each other without stepping. I agree with both of them on the long range safe distance.

ylSKYXi.jpg

jfg9NVw.jpg

Is not the same as my definition of safe zone. For striking, The safe zone is the distance at which my opponent won't or can't attack from. It's like a lion hunting. If I put a person on a field with a lion. The safe zone is the distance at which the lion won't attack. if it's charging me then it's attacking. How does one know the lion has broken the safe zone? It attacks. This is how I see striking
I don't agree with you that there is only one fight distance.

If space allows, I will stay in the safe zone, create an advantage, enter the fight zone efficiently and safely, attack then exit. These skills and strategy follow high level combat sports and tai chi fighting concepts.

"Going 50/50 is not good martial arts or fighting."

This is what I'm wondering what the extended punches may represent. A "Stop punch" where the arm is left extended for a short amount of time to prevent people trying to run through a punch., Or to run interference to prevent or delay an incoming strike long enough to recover to a safer position.

I'll have to look at some of the blocks to see if they stop for the purpose of establishing a specific structure.
I think this would actually go against basic principles in karate at least. Sport fighting aside, karate wants to close distance as quickly as possible, not keep the other person at a distance. Keeping them at a distance would fall more into " fighting " rather than entering in and destroying. At least by karate principles. Even the blocking techniques in karate are designed to move you in closer. Everything about traditional kata is entering in and breaking the other person quickly. It's the opposite of what a stop punch is for. There are spots in karate kata that have the attacker crashing into a punch, but the ones I know of are aimed at the liver, ribs, solar plexus. They're not trying to "stop punch"

karate wants to close distance as quickly as possible, not keep the other person at a distance. Keeping them at a distance would fall more into " fighting " rather than entering in and destroying.
I don't think keeping someone at distance goes against the concept of "entering in and destroying" in terms of striking there is a limit to how close you can get before you start reducing your options for striking and then things will enter the grappling arena. "Keeping someone at distance" should be thought of as "Keeping someone in the range of your strengths." My strength is striking, so if things get too close then I need to create distance to get someone back into my striking range.

I'll have to test it out and go through some of my strikes that hold the extension of the punch in the form and then decide if it that hold is a separation of combos or if actually meant to be held. I know that this thrust punch stays out.

We have a technque where we end up in horse while delivering the punch. It is accurate that this one holds the extension of the punch. The best way I can describe this puch is like trying to push a spear through armor. You aren't going to just quickly jab the spear and pull it back, You are going to try to push the spear through
1725539651143.png

1725539981464.png

Pushing through with spear. This is what this punch feels like when applied. It doesn't quickly come back. So maybe "Stop punch" isn't the correct comparison.

We have a technque where we end up in horse while delivering the punch. It is accurate that this one holds the extension of the punch. The best way I can describe this puch is like trying to push a spear through armor. You aren't going to just quickly jab the spear and pull it back, You are going to try to push the spear through
View attachment 31632
View attachment 31633
You are in a vulnerable position when you "hold the extension of the punch" in the fight zone. There are many KOs in that position to support this.

You are in a vulnerable position when you "hold the extension of the punch" in the fight zone. There are many KOs in that position to support this.
There's a correct way to hold and extended punch in a fight and a wrong way to do it. LOL it's people like you where I want to just put gloves and hit you and say "It's like that" lol

This is especially for you. The part about driving through with the puch. People who punch heel down understand this. If I'm going to drive a spear through someone then I'm going to push with my leg instead of twisting and pivot on the ball of the foot like boxers do.

Again the jab doesn't pop back

You are in a vulnerable position when you "hold the extension of the punch" in the fight zone.
You are in a vunerable position when you are in the fight zone period, which is why it's not called the "safe zone"

If you are thinking of the hold as "posing" then you are not using the correct time frame for how long it's held out.
When my sparring partner jumped into my fist, my fist was held out for about 1 or 2 seconds at the most. He dropped and whatever he tried to do to me when he jumped in, didn't land. The punch that I held out was a short range punch so it wasn't fully extend like a jab, but I didn't let it collapse.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back