Dropped my sparring partner, so he says

There us a dichotomy in fighting. In that to be good you have to understand the rules. Which is generally, when you punch. Your hand goes back to guard as quickly as you can so you can do something cool with it.

And we use the term high percentage and low percentage.

In theory high percentage methods are the best because they are statistically most likley to work.

But they are also what your opponent will spend the most time defending.

So they can cancel out a bit.

So you can be successful with something low percentage if their level of defence is less than your ability to apply that technique.

I do what I call the joust.
I throw a jab, leave it there and run at them with my hand outstretched.

It will work, not because it is good technique. But because it does not follow the rules of fighting.
I have had success with throwing a handful of coins at a guys face for that same reason, he didn’t realize I had something in my fist. He threw his hands up to block the coins but never saw the kick coming.

2 dirty things from my younger days that both worked to great advantage- spit on their face or flick a lit cigarette in their face. Both instances resulted in the person closing their eyes and turning their heads. As gross and " dishonorable" as these are, they're still in my little emergency toolbox.

We use stop hits all the time. If it’s a left jab it’s usually followed with an overhand right, unless they go into a Philly shell, which we use all the time as well. If they shell off a stop hit it depends on where you both are relative to each other, and what you have in your tool box.

We use a lot of front foot sidekicks to the body as stop hits as well.

As for leaving a technique hanging out there, unless you’re doing it on purpose as a setup, you might end up paying for it.

We always used to tell students “You leave that hanging against a Kung Fu guy or a wrestler it ain’t going to be pretty, he’s going to own you.”

2 dirty things from my younger days that both worked to great advantage- spit on their face or flick a lit cigarette in their face. Both instances resulted in the person closing their eyes and turning their heads. As gross and " dishonorable" as these are, they're still in my little emergency toolbox.
Your honor is something used to address a judge.

We use stop hits all the time. If it’s a left jab it’s usually followed with an overhand right, unless they go into a Philly shell, which we use all the time as well. If they shell off a stop hit it depends on where you both are relative to each other, and what you have in your tool box.

We use a lot of front foot sidekicks to the body as stop hits as well.

As for leaving a technique hanging out there, unless you’re doing it on purpose as a setup, you might end up paying for it.

We always used to tell students “You leave that hanging against a Kung Fu guy or a wrestler it ain’t going to be pretty, he’s going to own you.”
Right into a Chin na lock that will change the way they feed themselves.

It will work, not because it is good technique.
I would call a good technique in my book because it works. If it works within the rules then it's good, if it works outside the rules, it's good, if it just works, then it's good. It's especially good if you can follow up with other techniques right after that.

It's like you stated "There us a dichotomy in fighting. In that to be good you have to understand the rules"
When in doubt.

Pocket sand.

ha ha ha.. you beat me to it lol. Anything thrown at the eyes triggers a natural response to protect the eyes.

Kung Fu Wangs department. Rock thrown in a fight

Yeah this is something that should be a specific time for the right opportunity. It shouldn't be the default. If the technique misses or land light, then the fist should come back ASAP

Yeah this is something that should be a specific time for the right opportunity. It shouldn't be the default. If the technique misses or land light, then the fist should come back ASAP
It should leave you open. But I struggled with people doing that and had to invent a bunch of strange counters.

Your honor is something used to address a judge.
Yes.... Had to do that very thing a couple of times. When someone is in your face and you know it's coming.....well you do what needs done. Around here people say you're not fighting fair. I don't believe in a fair fight for the most part. Someone's always at a disadvantage. Is that fair? All I care about is being able to work and pay the bills.

Right into a Chin na lock that will change the way they feed themselves.
Yeah this is something that should be a specific time for the right opportunity. It shouldn't be the default. If the technique misses or land light, then the fist should come back AS

Why should it come back ASAP? Why can't it continue the attack?
Didn't mean to attach the first two. Still learning forums. Questions are directed at JowGaWolf

There us a dichotomy in fighting. In that to be good you have to understand the rules. Which is generally, when you punch. Your hand goes back to guard as quickly as you can so you can do something cool with it.

And we use the term high percentage and low percentage.

In theory high percentage methods are the best because they are statistically most likley to work.

But they are also what your opponent will spend the most time defending.

So they can cancel out a bit.

So you can be successful with something low percentage if their level of defence is less than your ability to apply that technique.

It will work, not because it is good technique. But because it does not follow the rules of fighting.

When I used to train in a boxing gym it was a year or two before one of the guys said I could spar him using MA techniques.

After sweeping him all over the place and dazzling him with some kicks, I did something similar. I extended both my arms out straight and just walked into him. He didn’t know what to do. He tried knocking them away, tried going under them, tried grabbing them under his arms. I tired him out. I only hit him with two uppercuts the whole time I was doing the arms out thing, but he didn’t hit me at all.

He didn’t want to play any more after that. We only boxed from then on out.

Why should it come back ASAP? Why can't it continue the attack?
Didn't mean to attach the first two. Still learning forums. Questions are directed at JowGaWolf
Because your target is no longer where you wanted him to be and he may be in a position to counter. The danger comes not just from missing but comes from being low in a position where you may catch a punch as your raise your stance or you may catch a knee or kick.

There is a counter prevent to this.
1. Use a rear hand parry to slip to the outside of the punching arm. This screws up the mechanics of his counter

2. Riskier. slip to the outside of the punch without the parry. This puts your head far away from the rear hand punch. Your opponent will use their lead hand / arm to deal with the body shot which removes the threat of the jab. Unless they have a longer reach then you. If that's the case then #1 is safer.

1725683379224.png

Here's a another angle of what that looks like.
1725683897965.png

My left hand must deal with the jab. My right hand must punch across my body. Also had he used his rear hand to parry my lead hand, He would have been able to get a deeper punch. He's taller than me and has long arms. Boxing him was frustrating.

Last edited:
The only thing I would change is that I wouldn't go in under a long guard unless I could move the long guard out of the way. A Jab would be preferrable for me. I'm always pessimistic about moving into the power hand unless I can somehow jam that power hand so that I can interfere with the extension of that punch.
The long guard (e.g., pawing jab) slows the pace down. Body jab is effective when the opponent brings his guard up or walks in. From closed stance, you are more in line with the jab.

From open stance, you are more in line with the power hand. At 4:10, you can step to the outside of the lead foot then throw the body jab.

Counters to the open stance body jab.

Because your target is no longer where you wanted him to be and he may be in a position to counter. The danger comes not just from missing but comes from being low in a position where you may catch a punch as your raise your stance or you may catch a knee or kick.

Are you looking for closed stance, open stance body jabs or both?

From closed stance, Floyd's body jab and exit against Canelo.

From closed stance, how to set up Floyd's body jab.

The long guard (e.g., pawing jab) slows the pace down.
It doesn't slow it down for TMA because we drow our stance, Boxers widen their stance. In TMA dropping our stance doesn't mean that we make our stance wide to get low. It means we bend our knees to get low. Do get to a low stance quickly we basically stop standing and allow the body drop. Depending on how the body is being dropped, one may say "we are jumping down"

Notice the bend in my knees. This is a TMA drop stance.
1725732582264.png

This is a boxer's drop stance His stance becomes wider to get lower. It's like doing a split to lower the body.
1725732931425.png

Tyson used TMA drop stance this entire video shows it well

TMA drop stance on the right. If you watch this portion of the video, his stance doesn't widen he just bends his knees.
1725733228853.png

From open stance, you are more in line with the power hand.
I fight with power hand forward. People try to stay away from the power at the rear without realizing that it's in front. Even if I tell them they soon forget.

Counters to the open stance body jab.
The solution would be to change stance this will put the power hand at the front and your face away from their power side. One of the benefits of learning how to fight in an opposite stance.
1725733598813.png

The counter to this would be a thrust punch. if you punch to my rear and then I'm going to use my rear hand to move that jab across my opponent's body, advance through the opening that it creates outside that arm and jab with my left. I think some of these things are easier because the size of the gloves make it a good technique. I'm not sure the way they jam that rear hand works with mma gloves or barefists.
1725733920202.png

Are you looking for closed stance, open stance body jabs or both?
I can do either. When I do jabs to the body is usually haver I have countered their jab. Even if I'm going to be offensive with it, I want to trigger their jab so I can move their lead hand across their body, or so I can pull the punch so they are caught in a position where they get pulled off balance. It's a done deal if they go off balance, but if I can delate the return of the hand that I'm moving then I still have a good chance to land a hard shot to the body.

If I do a body shot to the body without the parry then it's probably a lie. (hence the reason I got called Pearl harbor), Me doing a body shot without the parry, it's an attack that I'm using to misdirect.
1725734947723.png

You can see Tyson do this same type of drop (without the pucnh) in the video that I posted of him. It's a TMA drop. Notice the sance doesn't widen.

Back