Dropped my sparring partner, so he says

And again, you don't know if a person is a good kicker or not until they kick you.
Again, you are repeating yourself and we have covered this. It's not dependent on what anyone knows. Per physics and your statement if the kicker can reach them, they are not in the safe zone...

2. Your idea of the safe zone is incorrect. If I'm striking your guard then you are not in the safe zone.
I believe you are confused and/or overcomplicating it. Do you believe there is a distance where neither opponent can reach one another, yes or no? If yes, that is widely considered a safe zone.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the safe zone was where your opponent had to take at least one step forward to make contact with a kick.

I was under the impression that the safe zone was where your opponent had to take at least one step forward to make contact with a kick.
Yes. I control the distance with distance management.

As my opponent steps forward and kicks, I step back then forward offline creating an advantage (angle) and KO my opponent with an overhand right.

So Jowga, does your system specialize in attacking from a distance? I know nothing of longfist or CMA in general. In karate we typically close distance to apply close range attacks, is longfist different from this?

I'm i'm in the fight zone I take one step to maintain distance, If I don't step forward but you step back to retreat then my fight zone vanishes. But if I'm in the fight zone and I take a step, then I maintain the distance when you take a step to retreat.

In long fist I have to take a step at a 45 degree angle in order land my attack. If I don't step hat a 45 degree then, my opponent's attention isn't drawn. If I don't step at 45 degrees, then I increase my risk of eating a punch in the face instead of slipping the punch while throwing my punch.

Yes. I control the distance with distance management.

As my opponent steps forward and kicks, I step back then forward offline creating an advantage (angle) and KO my opponent with an overhand right.

You showed a video of a person getting punched when in the face on the step back and punched in the face on the step forward. Where is the safe zone. All of that is fight zone territory. Even the opponent landed the kick as she stepped back.

You showed a video of a person getting punched when in the face on the step back and punched in the face on the step forward. Where is the safe zone. All of that is fight zone territory. Even the opponent landed the kick as she stepped back.
Are you willing to answer the question? That would make it easier to understand you to start...

I believe you are confused and/or overcomplicating it. Do you believe there is a distance where neither opponent can reach one another, yes or no? If yes, that is widely considered a safe zone.

Last edited:
I know nothing of longfist or CMA in general. In karate we typically close distance to apply close range attacks, is longfist different from this?

What is called "long arm" is different based on a unique horse, footwork, coupled with extended arm strikes. This allows the practitioner to be able to strike while being outside the fist striking range of the opponent..
Exemplified in Tibetan White Crane, and Lama Hop gar.

So Jowga, does your system specialize in attacking from a distance?
Yes because of the long swings. It's like a bat, I don't want to hit with the part closest hand, I want to hit with the end of the bat. In Jow Ga Kung fu the end of the bat is our fist,

It's the same with kicks and sweeps. I ddon't wantthe impact of my kick to be on my thigh, I want it to be towards the end of my leg. We have to step with our punches regardless of distance.

Punching like this without taking the step causes structural and balance problems and it leaves the head on center line. It also kills power and makes you less mobile and prevents you from cutting off your opponent's angles while striking. There are some other things affected too, but in short, the technique breaks when the feet don't move.

In karate we typically close distance to apply close range attacks, is longfist different from this?
We do close range fighting in Jow Ga too. It's just that most people don't do the long-range stuff because it's difficult to get down. This is what it looks like when people are learning Jow Ga long fist techniques. I think the difficult part is due to the openings created by the swings, When I was learning, it felt like I was going to get punch in the face every time. But one day I trusted the technique and it gave me insight to what was going on and why I wasn't likely to get punch in the face so long as I follow the technique. but anyway, you can see the difficulty they are having trying to figure it out.

What is called "long arm" is different based on a unique horse, footwork, coupled with extended arm strikes. This allows the practitioner to be able to strike while being outside the fist striking range of the opponent..
Exemplified in Tibetan White Crane, and Lama Hop gar.

I just wanted to highlight that he took a step and that's normal for these types of swings.

I just wanted to highlight that he took a step and that's normal for these types of swings.

They can be practiced:

Statically, turning from side to side, or using what is called triangle in, triangle out.

Dynamic, using a stepping pattern that allows for single stepping, either backward or forward from the neutral position..

AGV_vUd3zpzaw4TmA2DrWa0BaYOwXkcHQX_UW6KDjyYL1-9zzX9SZ5Vp4OMBYOcsi7ePNP0tCB9FVKOtZRKwv-lHme1rFB4EYvvzInocIcfxkROoTniCbuy7GidMRKfJ7jqlcx78Vz7ulqKTkuuNF4MKQp67OqnFQm1UoxyBkvc=s2048
triangle_stepping (1).jpg

Practiced for 1000s of reps....until your arms are about to fall off.
Then, another set 😂

Last edited:
They can be practiced:

Statically, turning from side to side, or using what is called triangle in, triangle out.

Dynamic, using a stepping pattern that allows for single stepping, either backward or forward from the neutral position..

AGV_vUd3zpzaw4TmA2DrWa0BaYOwXkcHQX_UW6KDjyYL1-9zzX9SZ5Vp4OMBYOcsi7ePNP0tCB9FVKOtZRKwv-lHme1rFB4EYvvzInocIcfxkROoTniCbuy7GidMRKfJ7jqlcx78Vz7ulqKTkuuNF4MKQp67OqnFQm1UoxyBkvc=s2048
View attachment 31620
Practiced for 1000s of reps....until your arms are about to fall off.
Then, another set 😂

The first guy uses a similar footwork that Jow Ga uses. It's still a step, but the feet stay very close to the ground. It is not a heel-toe step. The idea of the step is that it allows the foot work to be quicker. Less time is spent lifting and planting the foot. In Jow Ga it's a way to step without letting your opponent know that you have gained ground.

I used to go to sleep dreaming about people that believed they were in a safe zone.

I had to stop doing that. It’s difficult trying to sleep when you’re laughing.

C’mon, now, you guys know what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
The first guy uses a similar footwork that Jow Ga uses. It's still a step, but the feet stay very close to the ground. It is not a heel-toe step. The idea of the step is that it allows the foot work to be quicker. Less time is spent lifting and planting the foot. In Jow Ga it's a way to step without letting your opponent know that you have gained ground.
Now this is interesting. I currently practice a style that is a mixture of sport and self defense. The footwork in your first video is something I recognize, and we spend a lot of time practicing for the sport side of it. The video windwalker posted where the guy is pivoting 45's while punching is also an exercise we practice at times. It's actually one I enjoy practicing on the heavy bag and double end bag at home. We're using straight punches and hooks though. Very very interesting. I'm guessing since we mainly do point fighting on the sport side the distances are similar enough to use some of the same footwork as y'all.
Thanks for sharing, you've sparked my interest here.

Jowga, both of your videos look a whole lot like what we do. We have a style specific kata, one of the first taught, dang near everything in those 2 videos is in that kata in some form. Pretty awesome

Any thoughts on the extended punch and why it's left extended in the form?
Sounds pretty much what we call a "stop-punch"?

I myself use alot of stop-punches, I like it. But not in the sense ot leaving the arm out there after a strike, that is too obvious. Noone will choose to run into a visible arm. If my angle is right, or my arms are longer, one can put hte arm out or strike just in time for the opponent charging a strike or a kick and stop him in the technique.

One trick is after a turning kick that completes, the opponent often sees a chance to attach, then they are baited into rushing as you turn, then you can throw a stop punch to stop such attempts.

As said already for stop-punches solid structure is key. Here I prefer to be rooted properly on the heels down. Then it is like running into an iron bar. As the power comes from your opponents weight, all you have to do is time and maintain balance.

The video windwalker posted where the guy is pivoting 45's while punching is also an exercise we practice at times.
The horse used to pivot from is called

AGV_vUckywOMRggDm3iZmUCi8bDGTqk-NauBFkYnjkX3Q7H9ke_184IPIffAbM85Z-YfWGAUbyEkSXMjKbzg6Ov241xpkkDI7mvgM7X3VSD1lPaiT1J2o8jCmi0I4299VJQ6uGlYN_10GCcKkjtvC6U4QSNYQj1dyBh1jELjoJr5p59SCqQJ5wu7=s2048

四五馬 (45 horse)

Quite interestingly, this stance allows for maximum arm extension while keeping just out of reach of the opponent's punching range.

The **四五马 (Sìwǔ mǎ)** stance reduces the chances of getting hit by presenting a smaller target area.
It allowed the practitioner to pivot to either side, effectively slipping punches.

Additionally, this stance offered protection to the groin area from kicks angled upwards from the ground, assuming it's executed correctly.

In training, the protective aspects of this were tested by having someone attempt to kick upwards into the groin. If the stance was incorrect, the kick would land as expected. 😳

Mike, the instructor, highlighted this during a lesson, mentioning the protective qualities of the stance.

He remarked, 'Now, let's see what happens when I try to kick you.' 😐

"oops, sorry about that "—😱

"Looks like that horse stance needs more practice!" 😳

Last edited:
I used to go to sleep dreaming about people that believed they were in a safe zone.

I had to stop doing that. It’s difficult trying to sleep when you’re laughing.

C’mon, now, you guys know what I’m talking about.
Believing there is only one "fight zone" can lead to problems. At 3:55, Randy touches on that "If you're thinking punch [the guard or leave extended]..."

Randy Brown said:
Learning how to manage distance is CRUCIAL in self-defense or a real fight. In this video, Sifu Randy Brown shares some key concepts on recognizing fighting ranges.

The video windwalker posted where the guy is pivoting 45's while punching is also an exercise we practice at times. It's actually one I enjoy practicing on the heavy bag and double end bag at home.
45 is the magic martial arts number. It pops up everywhere. I work on that angle on a heavy bag too because it's easier to get a feel of where I should be stepping. A nice compromise between forward and horizontal movement.
I'm guessing since we mainly do point fighting on the sport side the distances are similar enough to use some of the same footwork as y'all.
I suck at point sparring only because I'm willing to get hit if it means I can land a more powerful hit. If I was going to use Jow Ga for Point sparring, then I would probably start with the footwork and try to use it against Point Sparring Blitz. which is very linear.

I found this when looking for Blitz. He says "he blocks the back fist which is fine" Jow Ga would say. "I struck his guard with a back fist so that hand will not strike" Instead of moving to opponent's left. Jow Ga Kung Fu would start left of that lead guard, and move 45 towards the center at the same time. The is that forward movement has a high chance to trigger that lead jab. The backhand will land heavy so that it turns my opponent and opens his side. In Point sparring that back fist is really light. That's where I would get into trouble because the back fist has to be heavy. When it lands, my opponent's brain has to think "Oh crap" If I can get my opponent to think that then he's not thinking about hitting me. Unfortunately, this strike is too heavy for Point Sparring. I angle my strike so that if he drops or pulls back his guard, then my fist will hit his face, He will then turn from that and still get punched in his side. My Jow Ga classmate dropped a guy with that punch. That's the attacking side of that blitz. Also our footwork is less complicated. We just shuffle forward

The Jow Ga defense for that blitz is the same response. As he comes in with that back fist, or jab, I use a strong back fist to knock away his attack. If done correctly then you'll be set up for a nice reverse punch.

Jow Ga's response to that second Blitz would be to Parry with the lead hand and step 45 and feed him a right hook. Or I would swing his lead punch down towards my hip and feed him a right hook to his face. The problem is that you'll be forced to move fast and that 45 degree movement forward and the speed is going to multiply the power. Plus he'll be running into the punch, so it makes it difficult to land a point sparring tap with that. Circular punches are like asking someone to swing a bat as fast as they can but don't add power.

Latest Discussions

Back