Why You (Probably) Should Not Carry A Weapon

You didn't. But also, if you don't care that means you're not sorry, just fyi.

I didn't mention my opinion anywhere, I was just trying to figure out if you actually didn't understand the opposing side, or if you had failed to read, and I've got my answer through your posts.

And I've actually had my opinion swayed multiple times on different things as a result of what people have said on this site. But if you're someone who's unwilling to see/understand the other viewpoint, then yes there likely won't be any changes of opinion, as you've closed off that option.
No it just means I don’t care about the discussion. I gave my reasons for my viewpoint, it doesn’t mean I’m not open to others view point. it Just means I don’t agree

hence why I find these discussions stupid.

Well, then please start a more interesting and thoughtful thread. I'm sure some of the more intelligent and insightful members of the forum will weigh in. And then of course there are always people like me waiting in the wings with a snarky comment.
Like what, about rank, or critiquing aikido…I’ll leave that to you guys.

A gun is a tool like a hammer or saw. You need to know how and when to use it.
Yes, with a couple of exceptions. A hammer or a saw probably won't kill the neighbors across the street. And as you said, you have to know when and how to use a firearm, but most people don't. Oh, they're all experts if you ask them. Do they know the laws regarding use of deadly force? Nope. Do they train regularly? Nope. But they bought a gun so they're experts.

Like what, about rank, or critiquing aikido…I’ll leave that to you guys.
Don't know much about Aikido and don't care too much about rank. If you decide to start a new thread, do it on something you like to talk about, right?

A gun probably won't either. 99.98% of the guns in the US will never shoot anything other than targets
Good point. Let's say that between saws, hammers, and guns, only the gun is capable of shooting a projectile a long distance with deadly results. I mean, I can chuck a hammer a ways, but probably not through a wall of a home.

A gun probably won't either. 99.98% of the guns in the US will never shoot anything other than targets

Exactly the idea that a criminal would shoot you is incredibly low.

Not worth the effort to carry a gun really.

He seems to agree with you, when he doesn't have his gun advocate jersey on:

I don't think most criminals are really looking for a fight either. They want an easy, fast, score. We always have outside lights on. Coming on our property turns on more and basically rings the doorbell. Which activates the dogs. Between them, I think that's likely to deter the average opportunistic crook.

The chance that a criminal will punch you is incredibly low. But we still train for that possibility.
The chance that I'll have a flat tire is incredibly low. But I still carry a spare.
The chance that my kitchen will catch fire is incredibly low. But I still have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.
The chance of a CO leak in my house is incredibly low. But I still have CO detectors.
Then don't. But you don't get to make that decision for me.

The chance that a criminal will punch you is incredibly low. But we still train for that possibility.
Some people do, but I'm skeptical that it's even a large minority of them. I'd wager most train for health and exercise, for professional application, or as a hobby.

The chance that I'll have a flat tire is incredibly low. But I still carry a spare.

This is a funny one. There are literally hundreds of millions of flat tires every year in the USA. I don't think that's low odds. It's not just possible, but likely that everyone will have a flat tire multiple times in their lives, depending upon how much they drive. I think about 1/3 of new cars don't have spares anymore, but the ones I'm familiar with that don't come with a spare have run flats or at least a tire repair kit. And it's just a good idea to have some kind of roadside assistance, particularly if you don't carry a spare. Given the likelihood you'll need some help at some point, it's just good sense.

The chance that my kitchen will catch fire is incredibly low. But I still have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

According to FEMA, there were 170,000 kitchen fires in 2021, resulting in hundreds of deaths, thousands of injuries, and hundreds of millions of dollars in property damage. The risk/reward is very favorable. Extinguishers are safe, cheap, and easy to use. I guess you could argue that someone might bash a person over the head with a fire extinguisher, or possibly try to drink the powder, which I suspect might kill you. I couldn't find any statistics about how many people died in recent years from misapplication of a fire extinguisher. Is it a real issue?

The chance of a CO leak in my house is incredibly low. But I still have CO detectors.
This is a great point. Like spare tires and fire extinguishers, CO detectors are a simple, easy, effective way to mitigate a risk. It's passive and safe. Like a spare tire or a fire extinguisher, there is little, or no training required to benefit from it, and there is very little danger that the device could be misused.

For many people, though, having a gun is analogous to having a CO detector in a household that has no gas appliances. I mean, you could buy one for a few bucks and install it, but your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning are functionally nil. The difference, of course, is all of the stuff that's already been discussed relative to guns that simply doesn't apply to a passive device that poses a danger to no one.

Then don't. But you don't get to make that decision for me.
No one is arguing that you can't have a gun. That decision is yours alone. The discussion is about whether "you probably should not carry" one. "You" being the generic "you". You're making this very personal, as though a guy in Australia is really suggesting he should make a decision for you, a retired dude in Colorado somewhere. You are going to get the thread locked if you don't chill out and discuss the topic rationally. Or perhaps that's your goal.

Back