Why You (Probably) Should Not Carry A Weapon

Knives, chains with handles, sabers, pepper blasters. Those are all potential weapons and really a handgun is just a more powerful weapon and honestly a knife is every bit as deadly. I carry a knife everywhere, usually more than one and I know how to fight with it, if I had to, but that isn't why I carry it. I carry a knife for cutting things, it's a darn handy thing to have in your pocket.

If you feel that your life could be threatened then carrying a weapon makes sense. If carrying a weapon makes sense then carrying a really, really, good one makes sense.

Many of us, me included, feel that our life could be threatened because at one point or another our life was threatened and it was damn scary. Nothing worse than feeling helpless and powerless while someone tries to kill you, take it from me.

I study martial arts today because I enjoy martial arts, but in the beginning it was because someone hurt me and made me feel powerless.

I didn't carry a firearm for decades then one day I watched rioting in three major cities happen simultaneously, one not an hour from my home and I thought that I needed something more powerful than martial arts and pepper spray. I needed a gun.

I can’t imagine who you are talking about, I carry a knife, I have a very nice piece of fire hardened hickory in my truck. I have a chain with a grip. A keen edged saber in my bedroom. I have a staffy and a pit bull(okay these two are worthless for self defense). A Kimber pepper blaster sits in my car door. Lots of options. Never have I ever been shy about a thing, anything at all. Oh and I’m quite gunsy so I have quite a few of those as well. BTW it’s not murder when you are defending yourself. You yourself have said you would choke someone to death for biting you in a confrontation.
Yes. But if they didn't bite me I would let them live. It is because I can change the damage my chokes will do.

Unless you are belting people with a gun
You basically have kill them or yell at them.

And by the way. Sticking someone with a knife wasn't exactly the force options point I was trying to make.

"But hey. I also have a flame thrower. So you're wrong".

Last edited:
Not at all true. I don't carry a bat, but I do always carry a knife. This is extremely common among those who have chosen to arm themselves. I've also spent a couple days studying unarmed combat. Another thing that is quite common for armed citizens.

And of course, your binary view of how a handgun is used is, bluntly, ridiculous. A gun does not have to be used to kill to be effective. In the vast majority of cases, drawing a handgun will end the attack without any shots being fired. And if you DO fire, there is no requirement that you keep firing until the other person is dead. Only that they no longer pose a threat.
Shoot to incapacitate? Draw to threaten?

From my gun training I remember something along the lines of never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

I notice people who are all gunsy tend to be shy when it comes to things like handcuffs and bats and stuff.

So they really only give themselves two options. Which is run away or murder someone.
Some of that has to do with legal issues in some areas. In my area, I could easily get a permit to carry a gun (and have had one in the past). I cannot get a permit to carry a baton or bat.

I choose to carry neither these days.

Some of that has to do with legal issues in some areas. In my area, I could easily get a permit to carry a gun (and have had one in the past). I cannot get a permit to carry a baton or bat.

I choose to carry neither these days.

Handcuffs laws are quite often treated foolishly. In security we were allowed Handcuffs if we had bats. But not otherwise.

I could also wait for forty minutes with minutes with my knee in someone's neck for the cops.

If you carry, you should do it everyday and be used to it. If you choose to not carry that’s fine too, just be consistent and responsible whatever the choice. The only time I don’t bring it, is when it isn’t legal, or practical, like the courthouse or a friends swimming pool party, in which case it’s locked in my safe inside my vehicle.
I’m asking why some people don’t want others to carry at all.

My advantages from training go up significantly if the person coming at me has no weapon. And I’ve had some people get purple-faced, “pull over and fight me” angry over perceived slights that didn’t even happen.

I’d prefer those people not carry, ever.

Handcuffs laws are quite often treated foolishly. In security we were allowed Handcuffs if we had bats. But not otherwise.

I could also wait for forty minutes with minutes with my knee in someone's neck for the cops.
Your last sentence is the main reason I carry. Up to 45 minute response time and large areas of no cell phone coverage. The gun is for facing others with lethal weapons in defense of my life, not for threatening, or road ragers , or drunks in public.

Yes. But if they didn't bite me I would let them live. It is because I can change the damage my chokes will do.

Unless you are belting people with a gun
You basically have kill them or yell at them.

And by the way. Sticking someone with a knife wasn't exactly the force options point I was trying to make.

"But hey. I also have a flame thrower. So you're wrong".
I’m always wrong, so no biggie, the knife is a tool. I could just as easily stick someone with a screwdriver, which I have in my vehicle tool kit. Pistol whipping someone is what you do if you haven’t carried a large enough magazine.(I’m kidding).

Knives, chains with handles, sabers, pepper blasters. Those are all potential weapons and really a handgun is just a more powerful weapon and honestly a knife is every bit as deadly. I carry a knife everywhere, usually more than one and I know how to fight with it, if I had to, but that isn't why I carry it. I carry a knife for cutting things, it's a darn handy thing to have in your pocket.

If you feel that your life could be threatened then carrying a weapon makes sense. If carrying a weapon makes sense then carrying a really, really, good one makes sense.

Many of us, me included, feel that our life could be threatened because at one point or another our life was threatened and it was damn scary. Nothing worse than feeling helpless and powerless while someone tries to kill you, take it from me.

I study martial arts today because I enjoy martial arts, but in the beginning it was because someone hurt me and made me feel powerless.

I didn't carry a firearm for decades then one day I watched rioting in three major cities happen simultaneously, one not an hour from my home and I thought that I needed something more powerful than martial arts and pepper spray. I needed a gun.
I've been shot at and stabbed. Decades ago, in the Corps. That's not going to happen now. And I think that's true for the majority of us.

An hour from my house is an hour from my house. I'm fine. No riots here. No riots will happen here. And even where the riots happened, they were simple enough to avoid. Those involved chose to be there.

Weapons have to be defended. I want both my hands free. The world isn't that dangerous for me that I need a gun, knife, pepper spray, pocket sand or whatever.

Because this happened a mile from my house.

Idiots with guns are dangerous. Most people are idiots. Neither statement is debatable, they're facts.

I don't have much fear of shoplifters. I do have fear of being shot by a gun owner shooting at a shoplifter's car when I'm in the parking lot.

My advantages from training go up significantly if the person coming at me has no weapon. And I’ve had some people get purple-faced, “pull over and fight me” angry over perceived slights that didn’t even happen.

I’d prefer those people not carry, ever.
Yep. The most recent one was my fault. Guy cut me off, I flipped him off. Stupid of me. He stopped, blocking the road, and challenged me to fight him. Was he armed? Dunno. Glad he didn't shoot me, he was apoplectic with rage. Now I keep my fingers to myself.

Shoot to incapacitate? Draw to threaten?

From my gun training I remember something along the lines of never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.
If I point a gun at you, you may be assured that I am willing to destroy you. Doesn't mean I have to, though.

Idiots with guns are dangerous. Most people are idiots. Neither statement is debatable, they're facts.

I don't have much fear of shoplifters. I do have fear of being shot by a gun owner shooting at a shoplifter's car when I'm in the parking lot.
as a practical matter, the most imminent danger to me are idiots with guns.

I think you made some very good points, sensei Mattocks, and agree with much of what you said. I rarely (almost never) carry a gun around with me and can't recall the last time I did. But I am always armed, even though appearances seem to refute that. I am disabled and absolutely, positively cannot fight. The best I could do - and this is my strategy - is cause sudden hurt/damage as quickly as possible and vacate the premises. I'm only 77 yoa but have to walk with a cane (my primary weapon). I always have one or more knives with me, very small but effective, should they become necessary. I'm an Army Veteran, former LEO and shooting instructor at the police academy, and have been around firearms nearly all my life. I'm trained in firearms, knife work, cane-of course and many other weapons and environmental weapons. I also cannot run or even walk fast.

I fall often enough that I keep one or more injuries from it even though I know how to fall properly. I've always carried when in the woods but now can't even safely go there. I've found most people are pathetic, maybe dangerous with any type of gun. My sensei, now sadly deceased, always taught weapons first before having to use MAs. He meant serious danger and not simply a name calling or road rage situation. He knew when to let things slide and was not a violent man. At a hotel bar he had a drunk start harassing him to the point of pouring a beer over his head. He not only stayed cool and bought the drunk another beer. The guy was quite civil after and no damage was done.

Staying cool is ALWAYS the first and most important option available when your life isn't at risk.

I’ve never met a gun owner who accidentally shot anyone and I live in Texas. 38 years

secondly I rather idiots have guns then criminals being allowed to harm me and my family

Back