What's wrong with his kicking skill?

Not necessarily. Sport is focused on winning. Sparring can be sport, but it needn't be. If its focus is on learning, not necessarily winning.
That is exactly on point. I don’t care about a sparring win, I only care to practice and learn. It’s not sport to me, but again, nothing wrong with sport or sparring or competition.

Not necessarily. Sport is focused on winning. Sparring can be sport, but it needn't be. If it's focus is on learning, not necessarily winning.
In sparring, if you intentionally to let your opponent's kick/punch to land on your body, that's called "partner drill".

In sparring, you try to land your kick/punch on your opponent's body. You also try not to let your opponent's kick/punch to land on you. You have a goal, and you want to achieve your goal. When you try to achieve your goal, and your opponent also tries to achieve his goal, does that fit the definition of "competition"?

Last edited:
In sparring, if you intentionally to let your opponent's kick/punch to land on your body, that's called "partner drill".

In sparring, you try to land your kick/punch on your opponent's body. You also try not to let your opponent's kick/punch to land on you. You have a goal, and you want to achieve your goal. When you try to achieve your goal, and your opponent also tries to achieve his goal, does that fit the definition of "competition"?
No. If I am competing I will try to win using the most expedient means I have available. If I am sparring, I will try to learn something new or work on something specific but in both cases I will resist my partners attempts. In no case do I let someone land punches and kicks on me. Partner drill means we are helping each other to learn a technique correctly so we don’t learn a sloppy version and we don’t injure one another. I feel like you know exactly what I mean here so I won’t belabor the point. Again, nomenclature is not important since I just defined it for you, but you may call a snake a noodle for all I care.

Latest Discussions

Back