What is Budo in today’s fragmented and jaded Martial Arts world?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Straying too far from the Path
Lately, I have been watching the various consultants trying to convince hundreds of martial arts school owners via remote ZOOM sessions, webinars, and other mediums from throwing in the towel and looking for another career. While the attempts by these successful school owners and consultants are admirable, the changing paradigm that is now the martial arts business is not really conducive to those whose training did not involve so much marketing, salesmanship and basically babysitting, more so than a true path to martial arts enlightenment.

Budo is in the eye of the beholder. He often carries a red tipped, white cane.

I don’t know how much the search for good dojos has changed over the last fifty years. On one hand you have information at your fingertips. On the other hand belt promotions have become the participation trophies of adults.

We just have to do the best we can, I guess.

There's a lot of sludge out there. Some of it is non-intentional; the instructor just doesn't know any better. Some is by design; the instructor has made a business decision. But there are good instructors and schools out there. Those with experience in MA can figure out how to find them. Those who are just starting out, well, I wish them good luck. Sometimes a lesson is learned at a cost of time and money. The good news is that life is long and if one is serious about their MA goal they will eventually find a home.

And you can be 30 yrs into your path, and self realize that you may have been misled or misleading yourself all that time. Unintentionally. Maybe not bad Budo by heart, likely a bad product.

There's a lot of sludge out there. Some of it is non-intentional; the instructor just doesn't know any better. Some is by design; the instructor has made a business decision. But there are good instructors and schools out there. Those with experience in MA can figure out how to find them. Those who are just starting out, well, I wish them good luck. Sometimes a lesson is learned at a cost of time and money. The good news is that life is long and if one is serious about their MA goal they will eventually find a home.
Very well said sir. Took me 16 years of martial arts training to find my martial art “soul mate” style (Taekwondo) then another 5 after that before I found MY perfect school and instructor. In that time I trained under some VERY toxic, self centered people. There were times in that journey I thought “is this worth it??” It may take time but if one is truly smitten with martial arts, you’ll find your forever home.

Latest Discussions

Back