U.K. Sword Ban

I received a letter today saying the antique sword has been seized by U.K. Border Force ready for destruction!😳 There is one month to trigger a magistrates hearing to contest it’s seizure. A letter has been sent to them to trigger that hearing.

It’ll be odd being in the dock, giving, rather than on the bench, hearing the deposition!

I received a letter today saying the antique sword has been seized by U.K. Border Force ready for destruction!😳 There is one month to trigger a magistrates hearing to contest it’s seizure. A letter has been sent to them to trigger that hearing.

It’ll be odd being in the dock, giving, rather than on the bench, hearing the deposition!
Draconian. Seized, as if it were a bomb or some such threat to society as a whole.

<sigh> People in the collect and own shotguns, muskets, military sabres, cutlasses

After a sleepless night pouring over the legislation I may have found an exemption that will allow the sword to be delivered-

Swords with a curved blade of 50cm or more may be imported where the weapon:

• was made before 1954
  • was made by traditional methods of making swords by hand
  • is only available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies or for martial arts
  • is for use in a historical re-enactments or sporting activity for example a martial arts demonstration for which public liability insurance is held
If you are importing a restricted offensive weapon you should have evidence to demonstrate why you require it.

The sword does fulfil those requirements!

If that sword is destroyed, it will likely end up in the private collection of some Border Agent.
They’d be cutting branches and water bottles with it 😬🤢🤮

The sword dealer has provided documentation that the purchased sword is ‘made by traditional methods and by hand’. They’ve been printed off and posted to Border Force with a covering letter. There’s nothing more that can now be done…

I’ve posted all the relevant documentation to Border Force but decided to call them to find out the status of the situation. They were very pleasant but had no record of my case despite me providing them with a ‘seizure reference number’ 🙄 They suggested I emailed all the documentation to them as ‘it’s quicker’. British service strikes again.

I’ve posted all the relevant documentation to Border Force but decided to call them to find out the status of the situation. They were very pleasant but had no record of my case despite me providing them with a ‘seizure reference number’ 🙄 They suggested I emailed all the documentation to them as ‘it’s quicker’. British service strikes again.
So effective and efficient, don’t you feel safer knowing how on top of things they are. My friend in Australia waited almost 2 years to get his lever action rifle. He lives in a very rural area, is a mechanic, and has never been in trouble with the law. There was damage and rust on his “new” rifle by the time they released it. Hope the British authorities store your blade properly and don’t go cutting the hedges with it in the rain.

There was damage and rust on his “new” rifle by the time they released it. Hope the British authorities store your blade properly and don’t go cutting the hedges with it in the rain.
😭😭😭 You’ve reinforced my fear. It’s probably propping open the staff sh*t house and they’re drying their hands on the tsuka on the way out!😭😭 and that’s not water on their hands 😭😭😭😭😭

I'm very sorry to hear the bad news. How could they destroy a historic relic? Such a tragedy. Good luck with with deposition.

I'm very sorry to hear the bad news.
Well, hopefully this story will have a happy ending!🤞🏽
How could they destroy a historic relic?
Swords are ‘illegal’ in the U.K. (with notable exceptions). Once a steel sword is exported from Japan it’s virtually impossible to re-import them back in. So what will Border Force do, melt it down for tin cans and intimate piercings 😳
Such a tragedy. Good luck with with deposition.
Thank you. The more I look at the laws and regulations, the more I think things will go my way, but how long will it take is the question.

Border Force are asking me the same questions via email and a few days later, by post: proof of ownership, proof of purchase and intended use of the sword.

Back