U.K. Sword Ban

The most dangerous knife is a 3 inch paring knife you can conceal in your hand. Scary ā€œlookingā€ means f*ck all in reality.
I agree. It's also perfect for traveling in another country when its as easy as walking in and out of the grocery store. Also "looking scary" is perfectly logical in the eyes of the law.

Weā€™ve had another tragic mass stabbing here in the U.K. : three young children killed at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class. The assailant was a 17 year old boy, using a kitchen knife, who is widely reported in the press of being autistic (if thatā€™s at all relevant). Stabbings seem to be on the rise in the U.K. and Iā€™m so glad firearms arenā€™t available over here as I believe they would be the murder weapon of choice.

The banning of certain types of knife does work: Iā€™ve never seen a switch blade, ever, and butterfly knives since the 80s. But most stabbings are performed with cheap kitchen knives which you simply cannot legislate against.

I personally support the idea of random searches by the police (and metal detectors in all public venues). They would have to have extra training in good manners/politeness/arrogance reduction, maybe have an ethnic minority officer in each team to help avoid accusations of racism etc. Like having CCTV in public places, whatā€™s the issue unless you are a miscreant?
Read 1984?

Even simple possession of a Shuriken is a potential felony.
Which makes zero sense to me when I can walk into any of a number of shops in San Franciscoā€™s Chinatown today and buy shuriken out of the publicly-visible display cases. They may not be sharp, but they are steel and I can grind the points. Go figure.

Which makes zero sense to me when I can walk into any of a number of shops in San Franciscoā€™s Chinatown today and buy shuriken out of the publicly-visible display cases. They may not be sharp, but they are steel and I can grind the points. Go figure.
Look it up. Shuriken is a prohibited item, like a Sword Cane, brass knuckles, a sap etc. itā€™s a ridiculous state of affairs. I can have a concealed carry permit to carry a loaded handgun, but I canā€™t be trusted with a shuriken in my drawer in my home. Not that I want one, but itā€™s a silly law. Like nunchaku. Who is actually concerned with criminals armed with nunchaku? Yet itā€™s a prohibited item. I feel like some 1972 politician saw one too many Kung fu movies. I bet flying guillotines are legalā€¦

The assailant was a 17 year old boy, using a kitchen knife, who is widely reported in the press of being autistic (if thatā€™s at all relevant).
Itā€™s not relevant. And I think you know it. A pattern is emerging.

People who are neuro divergent are no more likely to commit violent crimes than anyone else, and some studies suggest they are less likely.

Nunchaku were so feared when they were made popular by Bruce Lee.

I think itā€™d be hard to kill with throwing stars . I bought a couple of shuriken when in Japanā€¦the ones like substantial nails. They are lethal!

Look it up. Shuriken is a prohibited item, like a Sword Cane, brass knuckles, a sap etc. itā€™s a ridiculous state of affairs. I can have a concealed carry permit to carry a loaded handgun, but I canā€™t be trusted with a shuriken in my drawer in my home. Not that I want one, but itā€™s a silly law. Like nunchaku. Who is actually concerned with criminals armed with nunchaku? Yet itā€™s a prohibited item. I feel like some 1972 politician saw one too many Kung fu movies. I bet flying guillotines are legalā€¦
Yeah, nunchuku too, you can pick those up in Chinatown as well. These are the wooden ones, Iā€™m not talking about the foam-covered plastic toy ones. And these are in the regular display cases, itā€™s not like you have to go in and give a password with a secret handshake to get access to the back room with the ā€œgood stuff.ā€ I donā€™t understand how they openly sell that stuff when they are illegal in the state.

I do not believe they should be illegal, Iā€™m just saying I do not understand the situation.

Yeah, nunchuku too, you can pick those up in Chinatown as well. These are the wooden ones, Iā€™m not talking about the foam-covered plastic toy ones. And these are in the regular display cases, itā€™s not like you have to go in and give a password with a secret handshake to get access to the back room with the ā€œgood stuff.ā€ I donā€™t understand how they openly sell that stuff when they are illegal in the state.

I do not believe they should be illegal, Iā€™m just saying I do not understand the situation.
Same. Kooky in so many ways.

Nunchaku were so feared when they were made popular by Bruce Lee.

I think itā€™d be hard to kill with throwing stars . I bought a couple of shuriken when in Japanā€¦the ones like substantial nails. They are lethal!
Throwing stars are the version to which I was referring. I am aware of the heavy nail type, which I would imagine are more effective vs. the star type, but less effective than a handgun in any case.

Who ever said the law was supposed to make sense? Look how many places outlaw automatic knives. As if 95% of the knives on the market weren't designed to be flipped open one handed. Somehow, that spring makes them SOOOOOOOO much more dangerous.
When Colorado banned "high capacity" magazines, they exempted ones that you already owned. The reasoning? Because according to the sponsor of the bill, people will shoot the rounds in those magazines. Apparently, in their world, magazines are a single use item.

Back