U.K. Sword Ban

The police have just been around to my house. Border Force asked them to deliver a letter to me stating that the importation of bladed weapons to the U.K. is illegal and I mustn’t do this in future. I explained the whole situation to her over a cup of tea and she was very sympathetic saying there was clearly more to this seizure than met the eye. She was very understanding and even sweet and must’ve been all of 13 years old! 😳 They let her drive a big police car!

I’m awaiting the decision of a reviewing officer of my case. Border Force’s own rules say:

Swords with a curved blade of 50cm or more may be imported where the weapon:
  • was made before 1954
  • was made by traditional methods of making swords by hand
  • is only available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies or for martial arts
  • is for use in a historical re-enactments or sporting activity for example a martial arts demonstration for which public liability insurance is held
I’ve highlighted the two that apply to my case. I’ve already supplied a letter from the sword dealer (Tozando) saying the swot]rd is traditionally made by hand and my British Kendo Association public liability insurance and grade details to show I actively train in Iaido.

I’ve supplied two additional pieces of evidence for this review - 1) a letter from the swordsmith’s son and apprentice saying his deceased father made the sword with traditional methods and by hand including two photos of them, dressed in Shinto priest garb whilst forging it. 2) a letter from a noted British antique Japanese sword dealer, giving the entire career of the swordsmith including prizes and awards he won in life and an statement saying that this sword is registered in Japan as an authentic Japanese sword and indeed, only traditionally made and by hand swords are allowed to be exported from Japan. I suggested the famous dealer would be happy to speak to them about this. after over the phone. I added, in my covering letter, that confirmation of it’s authenticity could be obtained by calling the Japanese consulate in London.

I cannot imagine what other evidence I could possibly give them that confirms it’s fulfilment of their criteria. Would you accept this evidence?

I’m awaiting the decision of a reviewing officer of my case. Border Force’s own rules say:

Swords with a curved blade of 50cm or more may be imported where the weapon:
  • was made before 1954
  • is only available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies or for martial arts
  • is for use in a historical re-enactments or sporting activity for example a martial arts demonstration for which public liability insurance is held
I’ve highlighted the two that apply to my case. I’ve already supplied a letter from the sword dealer (Tozando) saying the swot]rd is traditionally made by hand and my British Kendo Association public liability insurance and grade details to show I actively train in Iaido.

I’ve supplied two additional pieces of evidence for this review - 1) a letter from the swordsmith’s son and apprentice saying his deceased father made the sword with traditional methods and by hand including two photos of them, dressed in Shinto priest garb whilst forging it. 2) a letter from a noted British antique Japanese sword dealer, giving the entire career of the swordsmith including prizes and awards he won in life and an statement saying that this sword is registered in Japan as an authentic Japanese sword and indeed, only traditionally made and by hand swords are allowed to be exported from Japan. I suggested the famous dealer would be happy to speak to them about this. after over the phone. I added, in my covering letter, that confirmation of it’s authenticity could be obtained by calling the Japanese consulate in London.

I cannot imagine what other evidence I could possibly give them that confirms it’s fulfilment of their criteria. Would you accept this evidence?
Yes, you are already being inappropriately targeted. Is there someone in authority with independent thought you can appeal to? Or are your forms and evidence just being sorted by some clerk? I think it’s a ridiculous thing considering all the efforts you have expended thus far. Their budget for antique sword investigation is apparently quite large. Stupendous.

I do wonder if they sent the police officer to my house simply to intimidate me. They could’ve posted the letter, after all.

If this appeal doesn’t work I think I can take it to civil court which I’ve now decided I will do despite the threat of £2,500 legal fees should I lose, because I feel the behaviour of BF is unjust. Using the ‘C.R.A.C’ method of argument I can’t see how three magistrates won’t allow me to have the sword:

1) Conclusion- The sword should not have been seized by BF and should be released to as soon as possible because it fulfils three of their four criteria for import.

2) Rule -BF’s own exceptions from prohibition to import a curved blade greater than 55cm long are
  • was made before 1954
3) Analysis - This sword was hand made and by traditional methods as evidenced by…the sword dealer from whom I bought it, a statement from the son/apprentice of the (deceased) swordsmith who made the sword (with photos), a letter from a respected British antique sword dealer who gives the pedigree of the swordsmith who only made traditional swords by hand. I will use this sword for training in martial arts and I have supplied evidence of my membership of the BKA complete with evidence of third party liability insurance.

4) This sword should not have been seized by BF since it clearly fulfils three of the criteria it sets out as an exception from prohibition to import into the U.K. and it should be returned to me immediately.

Doesn’t that all sound reasonable and watertight?

I do wonder if they sent the police officer to my house simply to intimidate me. They could’ve posted the letter, after all.

If this appeal doesn’t work I think I can take it to civil court which I’ve now decided I will do despite the threat of £2,500 legal fees should I lose, because I feel the behaviour of BF is unjust. Using the ‘C.R.A.C’ method of argument I can’t see how three magistrates won’t allow me to have the sword:

1) Conclusion- The sword should not have been seized by BF and should be released to as soon as possible because it fulfils three of their four criteria for import.

2) Rule -BF’s own exceptions from prohibition to import a curved blade greater than 55cm long are
  • was made before 1954
3) Analysis - This sword was hand made and by traditional methods as evidenced by…the sword dealer from whom I bought it, a statement from the son/apprentice of the (deceased) swordsmith who made the sword (with photos), a letter from a respected British antique sword dealer who gives the pedigree of the swordsmith who only made traditional swords by hand. I will use this sword for training in martial arts and I have supplied evidence of my membership of the BKA complete with evidence of third party liability insurance.

4) This sword should not have been seized by BF since it clearly fulfils three of the criteria it sets out as an exception from prohibition to import into the U.K. and it should be returned to me immediately.

Doesn’t that all sound reasonable and watertight?
I have just received an email from BF’s reviewing officer. They are letting me have the sword 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🤩😍😳

I can’t feel my legs!🤢🤢

You will never get to be a real boy if you keep telling lies.
I made a ‘vow to the universe’ that if I got my sword, I’d recommence training with my teacher. I felt is was a suitably unpleasant prospect that the pixies and elves would grant my wish to watch me suffer 😐 I have to honour that now…

Was this ban enacted after you ordered your sword?
No it’s been in place for quite some time, but it fulfilled a few of the exemptions and I’ve only heard of one person having their (blunt) sword seized because of CITES concerns about the ray skin in the handle. To circumvent this issue, I ensured the Japanese dealer added a letter that the skin was from the common ray not anything endangered. I didn’t anticipate any other issues.

I’ve told the dealers that if they have any future customers from the U.K., I’d be happy to advise them. I’ll write it all out and publish it somewhere…🤔

Latest Discussions

Back