U.K. Sword Ban

Anything run by the government is like this.🤷🏾

Border Force have emailed me saying they are now progressing my sword restoration request after it’s seizure. They have asked for all the information I’ve already sent as both hard copies and digitally, but i’ve sent it all yet again. I’m really concerned with how they’re storing the sword: it’s been very humid here in the South of the U.K. for the last few months. If it’s rusted I’m going to demand compensation! 😤

Border Force have said that the evidence supplied is not sufficiently substantive for the sword to be restored to the me. I’ve have asked the dealer if they can get the official Japanese government certificate (NBTHK) translated into English to prove it’s traditionally made (the Japanese version will have been laminated and supplied with the sword). I have until 20th October to get an appeal in writing to a reviewing officer.

These are the criteria I must satisfy them with…

Swords with a curved blade of 50cm or more may be imported where the weapon:

• was made before 1954
  • was made by traditional methods of making swords by hand
  • is only available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies or for martial arts
  • is for use in a historical re-enactments or sporting activity for example a martial arts demonstration for which public liability insurance is held
My appeal will be along the lines of the last point, hopefully with a translated NBTHK certificate.

It’s not looking good…

Border Force have said that the evidence supplied is not sufficiently substantive for the sword to be restored to the me. I’ve have asked the dealer if they can get the official Japanese government certificate (NBTHK) translated into English to prove it’s traditionally made (the Japanese version will have been laminated and supplied with the sword). I have until 20th October to get an appeal in writing to a reviewing officer.

These are the criteria I must satisfy them with…

Swords with a curved blade of 50cm or more may be imported where the weapon:

• was made before 1954
  • was made by traditional methods of making swords by hand
  • is only available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies or for martial arts
  • is for use in a historical re-enactments or sporting activity for example a martial arts demonstration for which public liability insurance is held
My appeal will be along the lines of the last point, hopefully with a translated NBTHK certificate.

It’s not looking good…
That’s some bureaucratic bull pucky you are being made to wade through. In the name of public safety no less, what a waste of resources.

That’s some bureaucratic bull pucky you are being made to wade through. In the name of public safety no less, what a waste of resources.
There have been some high profile knife crimes including a 14 year old boy who was virtually cut in half by a ‘samurai sword wielding’ nutter. I wonder if this is steering the attitude of Border Force with regards this seizure. 🤷🏾

There have been some high profile knife crimes including a 14 year old boy who was virtually cut in half by a ‘samurai sword wielding’ nutter. I wonder if this is steering the attitude of Border Force with regards this seizure. 🤷🏾
I don’t believe in punishing the innocent for the crimes of others. There is an illusion of safety that these types of laws are intended to create. In my opinion, the effort and resources are better spent on mental health programs and helping the poor. In no case are we ever completely safe.

British governments tend to to be very ‘knee jerk’ in their actions. See a child with a vape: ban vapes. See a fat person wobbling down the street: put taxes on fast foods. See a child staring at her phone for 10 mins: ban mobile phones for the under 10s. See a 14 year old boy sliced up by a dual Brazilian/Spanish national living in London:…well, some reactions might be better than others…

British governments tend to to be very ‘knee jerk’ in their actions. See a child with a vape: ban vapes. See a fat person wobbling down the street: put taxes on fast foods. See a child staring at her phone for 10 mins: ban mobile phones for the under 10s. See a 14 year old boy sliced up by a dual Brazilian/Spanish national living in London:…well, some reactions might be better than others…
So, the problem has spread to Europe?

None of that sounds good. Let the fat eat, that’s their business. Let parents decide what’s appropriate for their child, that is parenting. What’s next? See someone drunk, ban pubs? Bet you won’t see that one happen. I don’t think you are being fairly treated. Don’t they know who you are?

None of that sounds good. Let the fat eat, that’s their business. Let parents decide what’s appropriate for their child, that is parenting.
A 14yr old was on trial for taking part in the recent riots. His mother decided the date of the trial was a good time to go on holiday to Ibiza!
What’s next? See someone drunk, ban pubs? Bet you won’t see that one happen.
Alcohol restrictions? Crikey, that’d never happen!
I don’t think you are being fairly treated. Don’t they know who you are?
Exactly. Dare ni mukatte mono itten dayo?

A 14yr old was on trial for taking part in the recent riots. His mother decided the date of the trial was a good time to go on holiday to Ibiza!

Alcohol restrictions? Crikey, that’d never happen!

Exactly. Dare ni mukatte mono itten dayo?
I mean if the UK really wants to make people safer they should just ban tobacco and alcohol. That will go a long way farther than banning imported, expensive, exotic, handmade swords.

I’ve now had a letter from Border Force (BF) saying that I have the option to plead my case in contesting the legality of seizing the sword, in the courts. If the magistrates find in BF favour I will incur not more than £2500 court fees, If I win, I will receive the sword and can ask for reasonable compensation, although this may not be granted.

I know how the courts work. The legal advisor will tell the magistrates that the onus is upon the defendant (me) to prove he has met one or more of the four criteria for restoration of the sword:

1) Has he convincingly shown the sword was made before 1954 OR
2) by traditional methods and by hand? No.
He has only provided a certificate from the sword dealer who sold him the sword and thus has a vested interest saying as much. This is not official and impartial evidence.
3) Has he shown the sword is required for ceremonial/religious purposes? No.
4) Has he convincingly shown the sword is required for historical re-enactments/martial arts demonstrations/training? No.
He is unable to verify the dates of any such future events nor does his association require him to train using a ‘real’ sword’.

The magistrates will discuss and conclude that I have not met the exemption requirements and the sword should not be restored to me plus they’ll slap on not more than £2500 court fees.

The only possibility is that all genuine Japanese swords receive an appraisal for authenticity (‘handmade with traditional methods using tamahagane steel’) and, if it passes, a certificate from the Nihon Bijutsu Tōken Hozon Kyokai (NBTHK). This is laminated and must be kept with the sword at all times. This certificate will be with my seized sword but is written in Japanese. BF will unlikely have the resources to translate it and I’ve asked the dealer, Tozando, if they can supply a translation. Tozando have been ominous is their lack of response to my request and I will suggest BF translates the NBTHK certificate. But the NBTHK are not a ‘government organisation’ although they self-proclaim to be ‘highly trusted for screening and certifying judgement onto Japanese swords’ so why would BF believe their certification, if they could read it, any more than that of the dealers?

I am resigned to the loss of my purchase and it’s not insignificant cost.

Last edited:
I’ve now had a letter from Border Force (BF) saying that I have the option to plead my case in contesting the legality of seizing the sword, in the courts. If the magistrates find in BF favour I will incur not more than £2500 court fees, If I win, I will receive the sword and can ask for reasonable compensation, although this may not be granted.

I know how the courts work. The legal advisor will tell the magistrates that the onus is upon the defendant (me) to prove he has met one or more of the four criteria for restoration of the sword:

1) Has he convincingly shown the sword was made before 1954 OR
2) by traditional methods and by hand? No.
He has only provided a certificate from the sword dealer who sold him the sword and thus has a vested interest saying as much. This is not official and impartial evidence.
3) Has he shown the sword is required for ceremonial/religious purposes? No.
4) Has he convincingly shown the sword is required for historical re-enactments/martial arts demonstrations/training? No.
He is unable to verify the dates of any such future events nor does his association require him to train using a ‘real’ sword’.

The magistrates will discuss and conclude that I have not met the exemption requirements and the sword should not be restored to me plus they’ll slap on not more than £2500 court fees.

The only possibility is that all genuine Japanese swords receive an appraisal for authenticity (‘handmade with traditional methods using tamahagane steel’) and, if it passes, a certificate from the Nihon Bijutsu Tōken Hozon Kyokai (NBTHK). This is laminated and must be kept with the sword at all times. This certificate will be with my seized sword but is written in Japanese. BF will unlikely have the resources to translate it and I’ve asked the dealer, Tozando, if they can supply a translation. Tozando have been ominous is their lack of response to my request and I will suggest BF translates the NBTHK certificate. But the NBTHK are not a ‘government organisation’ although they self-proclaim to be ‘highly trusted for screening and certifying judgement onto Japanese swords’ so why would BF believe their certification, if they could read it, any more than that of the dealers?

I am resigned to the loss of my purchase and it’s not insignificant cost.
I am so sorry. This is very unfair.

I’m going to meet up with a sword dealer on Monday 😐 He has some nice pieces…here within the U.K. 😉

Last week, a British knife wholesaler, voluntarily surrendered 35,000 ‘Zombie blades’ and machetes, receiving £10 per item in compensation (which is probably more than the profit he would’ve made on each of them).
Apparently he sold some of the knives that have been used it the recent spate of murders in the U.K. capitol. Note, he surrendered them, the police didn’t seize them 🙄

Back