The essence of Tai Chi push hand kung fu

In the many parks, local meeting places push hands is practiced..in Beijing

The audio seems to be bad...recommend muting it
enable cc for English subtitles
Note the leg skill some claim to never see being used.

In China, and Taiwan, what is shown is pretty much common for the practice.

For those who claim this is not push hands or taiji skill sets, ect.
the best way to show this is to meet up with the locals and demo
your skill..

A good way to test one's own skill 👍..among what may be considered as taiji
peers...

The commentator mentions push hands has become the default for taiji combat. If so, a sad commentary for taiji as a combat method

IMO not a good practice method for those wanting to learn
Taiji skill sets that can be used outside of push hands contexts. ☯️

Last edited:
what happens when push hands is used outside of a training device.

The man in red, a teacher, was demonstrating push hands. As often happens, someone from the crowd asked if they could try.

In this case, the man in the black coat gave it a go, and you can see the results.

Push hands has become the default method for what some consider Taiji sparring. Among certain teachers, when they lose, they may claim the other person doesn’t understand push hands; when they win, they might say it exemplifies how push hands works.

IMO a risky outlook should one expect to use taiji as a martial art.

Nevertheless, push hands has become the common way for Taiji skill sets to be tested within the Taiji community.

Last edited:
what happens when push hands is used outside of a training device.

The man in red, a teacher, was demonstrating push hands. As often happens, someone from the crowd asked if they could try.

In this case, the man in the black coat gave it a go, and you can see the results.

Push hands has become the default method for what some consider Taiji sparring. Among certain teachers, when they lose, they may claim the other person doesn’t understand push hands; when they win, they might say it exemplifies how push hands works.

IMO a risky outlook should one expect to use taiji as a martial art.

Nevertheless, push hands has become the common way for Taiji skill sets to be tested within the Taiji community.
Nothing wrong with push hands per se. This contributes to the myth that tai chi is not a martial art. Playing in public attracts attention. Public players should not be surprised when people want to try. No one should be surprised to find out that an exercise is not a contest. “Can you do it while I hit you?” That doesn’t apply to an exercise, but that’s how most people will view it. Outside of the form and the teaching, it’s out of context. It is important, but it’s just an exercise. Someone who does the form correctly with good instruction may not gain much benefit from push hands. The fighting sets are a better test because the feet move. The opportunity is the same. Losing balance or root is gentle compared to a missed block in the fighting sets.

Nothing wrong with push hands per se. This contributes to the myth that tai chi is not a martial art. Playing in public attracts attention. Public players should not be surprised when people want to try. No one should be surprised to find out that an exercise is not a contest. “Can you do it while I hit you?” That doesn’t apply to an exercise, but that’s how most people will view it. Outside of the form and the teaching, it’s out of context. It is important, but it’s just an exercise. Someone who does the form correctly with good instruction may not gain much benefit from push hands. The fighting sets are a better test because the feet move. The opportunity is the same. Losing balance or root is gentle compared to a missed block in the fighting sets.
agree, except for one thing, push hands is trained with some foot work, at least in my lineage.

agree, except for one thing, push hands is trained with some foot work, at least in my lineage.
I’m sure that it has gourmet practitioners. No doubt. They/you/your lineage are likely a few of those. I’m mostly speaking to the public display in the park style. “ please come ask me about my mystical practices”.
Dont get me wrong. I believe in it. It’s just that the number of half *** bull shido ists far outnumber legitimately skilled people.

No one should be surprised to find out that an exercise is not a contest.
Some people do think Taiji puh hand is contest.

One day a stranger and his girlfriend knocked on my front door and challenged me Taiji push hand in my living room. I told him that I could spar/wrestle with him, but I don't do push hand. He said he had bad knee and could not spar/wrestle. We ended up just talking.

Later on, I heard he went to every MA school in town and challenged instructors for push hand.

One day a stranger and his girlfriend knocked on my front door and challenged me Taiji push hand in my living room. I told him that I could spar/wrestle with him, but I don't do push hand. He said he had bad knee and could not spar/wrestle. We ended up just talking.

Later on, I heard he went to every MA school in town and challenged instructors for push hand.
One day a Tai chi teacher came in and challenged my Sifu to push hands. My Sifu said ok, but first we fight for 1 minute, then we can push hands as long as you want. You guess what happened. So many of these guys are just BS, but I respect the real thing very much.

Not just some “people” ☯️

Push hands (推手, tui shou) became a formal competition event around the 1970s.

In doing so, many of the combative aspects of Taiji seem to have been lost. The recognition of Taiji skill within the community often isn't based on practical application but rather on the skill sets tested in push hands—a method originally designed to develop skill but now, for some, has become the end goal itself.

Training for competition has strayed from the original intent, which was to develop certain skills essential for using Taiji as a combative system.

That said, it remains a standard within the Taiji community. To gain respect, one must still possess the skills that push hands was meant to develop to demonstrate or share something beyond the competitive aspects with those who focus on them

Still, it serves as a valuable testing ground outside the competitive scene for those interested in developing their practice with new people within a familiar context.

Also a good way to connect with others and make friends.

Last edited:
I’m sure that it has gourmet practitioners. No doubt. They/you/your lineage are likely a few of those. I’m mostly speaking to the public display in the park style. “ please come ask me about my mystical practices”.

Dont get me wrong. I believe in it. It’s just that the number of half *** bull shido ists far outnumber legitimately skilled people.
Well, it isn't mystical, it isn't magic, and it is not fighting. It is a tool training you can apply to fighting and it is simply that.....training

And based on experience, if you pushed my shifu like that guy was pushing, he would back up fast, as many times as he needed to take you off balance

Well, it isn't mystical, it isn't magic, and it is not fighting. It is a tool training you can apply to fighting and it is simply that.....training

And based on experience, if you pushed my shifu like that guy was pushing, he would back up fast, as many times as he needed to take you off balance

The guy had to back up because he did not understand how to Zhan, Lian, Nian, Sui.

Julian Chu explains that in order to gain the Tai Chi capabilities of Sensing, Leading, Neutralizing, Controlling, and Discharging one must first learn how to Zhan, Lian, Nian, Sui. Julian Chu is a senior student of Benjamin Lo.

He talks about leading into "emptiness"

The demos in most cases use very big movement, allowing the student to feel it.
In usage, it's very small movement....just a touch....
They have no time to recover, or adjust depending on level of skill..

It happens before touch....something not always understood...
just watching if one has not experienced it before .

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back