The essence of Tai Chi push hand kung fu

In my experience and practice, this intent is one of the things that blocks the development of the skills we practice.
I'm sorry, but the following families would disagree, Chen, Yang, Wu, Sun and Hao... also Zhaobao village, Cheng Manching, Willaim CC Chen, TT Liang, Liang Shouyu, Yang Zwing Ming, Fu Zhongwen, Tung Ying Chieh, Mak Ying Po, my Shifu, and the Tung/Dong family and many many more, and I disagree too

But that begs the question, intent where? or intent When?

This is why competitive push hands is not ideal as a practice, outside of the competition itself
which people practice for....
Competitive push hands, from a traditional perspective, is garbage

I'm sorry, but the following families would disagree, Chen, Yang, Wu, Sun and Hao... also Zhaobao village, Cheng Manching,

Me too. For others not understanding a shared experience, it can seem like they expect what's shared to be some kind of canon for everyone to follow.

Have met with practitioners from each of the families listed. For most of them, their practices are different, perhaps due to their level or other factors. They were not very effective in whatever they were trying or thinking of doing.

A common expression was, "Let's try that again." 😂

To be clear, "push hands" for me is a practice to develop certain skill sets. Others may feel differently.

When I have met with them, it was in the spirit of testing "my" practice, not theirs.

You might know that within the Yang family traditions, there are things that were not passed down outside of the family.

wang yen-nien talks about zhang qinlin
Something in Jianhou's heart had changed. Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan was not something that was taught to many
students. It was taught to just one person -only to one who would keep it and pass it on.
Why not teach it to two or more?

During the Qing Dynasty, Yang Luchan had become famous, and was invited by the emperor to teach at the emperor's court.
Luchan was unwilling to teach his personal martial art to a foreign ruler that he felt was suppressing the country. In addition, Yang was a Han, and the emperor was a Manchu.

Last edited:
Me too, sorry for others not understanding an experience that has been shared.
Seemingly expecting what is shared to be some kind of canon for others to follow..

Have met with practitioners of each of the families listed,,,for most of them their practices are different.
Maybe due to level or what ever...not very effective with what ever they were trying or thinking of doing..

A common expression " lets try that again" 😂

To be clear, "push hands" for me is a practice..to develop certain skill sets..
Others may feel different.

When I have met with them it was in the spirit of testing "my" practice not their practice.

To develop what skill set?

You might know that within the yang family traditions there are things that were not passed down outside of the family..

wang yen-nien talks about zhang qinlin
I know there are always things the all hold back from all but their best students or family. But I will be honest, I do not buy into the whole Yangjia Michuan thing, anymore than I believe Yang Zhenduo learned from his father, because he didn't, sorry.

I believe the entire Yangjia Michuan thing comes from only one source Wang Yennien...who also claims Cheng Manching as part of the Michuan group too, a claim no one in the CMC camp seems to make.... But then I don't believe all of CMC story either.

That's my question too. Why does anybody want to develop any skill that cannot be used in fighting?

I have a partner drill that look very similar to Taiji PH.

1. A use right under hook on B's left shoulder.
2. B use over hook and cracking to counter A's right arm. B then force A to move in circle.
3. A use left under hook on B's right shoulder.
4. B use over hook and cracking to counter A's left arm. B then force A to move in circle.

1, 2, 3, 4 can be repeated over and over (just like Taiji PH). The purpose of this training is for A to develop "under hook", and for B to develop "over hook and cracking".

I know there are always things the all hold back from all but their best students or family. But I will be honest, I do not buy into the whole Yangjia Michuan thing, anymore than I believe Yang Zhenduo learned from his father, because he didn't, sorry.

I believe the entire Yangjia Michuan thing comes from only one source Wang Yennien...who also claims Cheng Manching as part of the Michuan group too, a claim no one in the CMC camp seems to make.... But then I don't believe all of CMC story either.

good for you 👍

No need to be sorry, or anything else, it's a discussion...🙂
I speak from experience....ours and others might be different.
It's the differences that make life interesting...

The skill set of my teacher, and others reflects
the teaching of this teacher.

Master Wang Yongquan
內勁兒即太極勁兒,是神、意、氣的化合,不是神、意、氣的集中。
Internal strength, which is the strength of Tai Chi, is the fusion of spirit, intent, and energy;
it is not the concentration of spirit, intent, and energy.

Back