Social Media Naysayers

This is why one has to create his own forms from applications (if he really needs it).

Here is an example, application -> form.

I don't think it has to reflect fighting. Fighting reflects fighting well enough.

They probably were not that fit.
People who do aerobics are fit. My brother is fit he does cross state races, cycling races, muay thai, wrestling, BJJ and marathons. He's built like a Spartan. He does a few minutes of some of my kung fu drills and he feels it. A shuffle drill that I do is enough to burn those muscles that he doesn't use.

You are welcome to try my kung fu conditioning workout.

This is false. Lift all the weights you want, and Kung Fu will make you feel like all of that weightlifting waste of time
Well, there is one kung fu expert who would be to differ. This was his work out routine:

76684722_10162543209675634_5147106734719893504_n.jpg

This is also not true.

Both of these things will make you fit but may not necessarily put you in shape to do martial arts.
So professional fighters do road work for nothing? And while there are some professional fighters who don't look very athletic, they're the exception and not the rule.

In this aspect, you can't separate professional fighting from "fighting on da skreetz" because ALL fighting taps into whatever level of athleticism that your body has. This is why I didn't 100% totally dismiss that incel guy that was trolling here a few days ago.

Well, there is one kung fu expert who would be to differ. This was his work out routine:

76684722_10162543209675634_5147106734719893504_n.jpg
As a martial artist, I can tell you that isn't a complete list. My guess is that workout is out of context. I don't see any punching or kicking drills. No skill training. Nothing for conditioning kicks or arms or training punches. I don't see any leg lifts that would help with kicking. I don't see any cardio or footwork trills

None of these exercises help with the strength that he has to hold his kick up as shown in this video.

I lift weights and I train kung fu so I have personal experience on what helps from lifting weights and what doesn't. That workout that you are looking out would be the same as if I gave you only the weight training part of my workout and not the kung fu part.

As a martial artist, I can tell you that isn't a complete list. My guess is that workout is out of context. I don't see any punching or kicking drills. No skill training. Nothing for conditioning kicks or arms or training punches. I don't see any leg lifts that would help with kicking. I don't see any cardio or footwork trills

None of these exercises help with the strength that he has to hold his kick up as shown in this video.

I lift weights and I train kung fu so I have personal experience on what helps from lifting weights and what doesn't. That workout that you are looking out would be the same as if I gave you only the weight training part of my workout and not the kung fu part.
His whole training regimen doesn't have to be listed to refute your original point - which was that weight and steady state cardio training are of no value to martial arts.

So professional fighters do road work for nothing?
Roadwork is for cardio but the cardio that is used to run is not the same cardio that is used for jumping or doing burpees. Running, jumping, and burpees are 2 different movements that put different demands on the body.

Road work will not prepare you for shuffle punch drills.

His whole training regimen doesn't have to be listed to refute your original point
Yes, his whole training has to be shown because it's the part that isn't showing that is directly related to kicking, punching, and other martial art movement. You can take his workout and let that be the only thing you everyday for 10 years and you would still suck at punching, kicking, and fighting. So for you to say that the whole training doesn't need to be shown is realistic.

Ask yourself this
Can a person learn how to kick, punch, and grapple without lifting weights?

Can a person learn how to kick, punch, and grapple only by lifting weights?

Can a person build the strength to pass a basketball by only using strength training for throwing a football?

Can a person only do that weight lifting workout that you showed and learn martial arts movement?

Yes, his whole training has to be shown because it's the part that isn't showing that is directly related to kicking, punching, and other martial art movement. You can take his workout and let that be the only thing you everyday for 10 years and you would still suck at punching, kicking, and fighting. So for you to say that the whole training doesn't need to be shown is realistic.

Ask yourself this
Can a person learn how to kick, punch, and grapple without lifting weights?

Can a person learn how to kick, punch, and grapple only by lifting weights?

Can a person build the strength to pass a basketball by only using strength training for throwing a football?

Can a person only do that weight lifting workout that you showed and learn martial arts movement?
His whole training would have to be listed IF the claim was that he substituted martial arts training with weight training (your questions imply that that was the claim being made).

That was not the claim. The claim is that weight and cardio training serve as performance enhancers with regards to martial arts training. You said "Lift all the weights you want, and Kung Fu will make you feel like all of that weightlifting waste of time." Bruce Lee didn't feel it was a waste of time, nor do professional fighters.

In every area of athletics - combat sports and non-combat sports - athletes hit the gym for a reason. That reason is to enhance their performance. Even militaries have physical fitness tests for a reason. We wouldn't want to place the security of our nation into the hands of a bunch of physically weak Soldiers who'd blow chunks after running ten steps, would we?

His whole training would have to be listed IF the claim was that he substituted martial arts training with weight training (your questions imply that that was the claim being made).
But that's not my claim either. My claim has nothing to do with bruce lee. But if someone tells me that they train martial arts and only shows weight lifting as proof of their training, then I know they are not giving the whole true of what their workout consisted of.

My only claim is that we are only strong in the movements that we train. If you do not train that movement then you will not be strong in that movement. I can train Running movement, but it will not make me a good swimmer because Running movement is not the same as swimming movement.

There are many things about Martial Art movement that are more than just pushing weight and this is true for a lot of sports and physical activities. There is more to getting strong than just being strong. People say get strong. I always ask strong to do what. Based on what strength you want to have weights can be added to help gain that strength, but that strength has to be built according to the movement to be done.

I don't know if anyone remembers this term, but at one time there was a big promotion of "Functional Training." This took over a lot of the isolation training that used to be championed which is represented in Bruce Lee's workout that you shared. But since he's a martial artist I know that wasn't the only type of strengthening and conditioning exercises that he was doing. So posting only with weight training portion and ignoring the rest is not an accurate picture of his training.

Latest Discussions

Back