Social Media Naysayers

So aside from added mass and being able to muscle techniques into working. What really are the benefits of great physical strength in fighting?
Remember the tell-all book by Jose Canseco about rampant steroid use in baseball? I never read it myself, but I remember all the hoopla when it when it was released.

So why would baseball players be interested in steroids? Likely the following:

1. Enables pitchers to throw harder and faster, increasing the likelihood of strikeout.
2. Enables batters to swing harder and faster, which has two benefits:
- Increases the likelihood of a homerun
- Allows batters to delay the swing and keep their eye on the ball longer
3. Gets the ball to the bases faster, increasing the number outs on the part of the runners, and
4. Reduces the likelihood of bases being successfully stolen.

If increased physical strength does this for baseball, then how can it not do anything for martial arts?

Okay. The only viable solution I see is... we get me and @isshinryuronin to learn and perform an XMA kata, and @Steve and @drop bear to learn and perform a traditional kata. We film them, then post and share! @JowGaWolf can be adjudicator.

How is this a solution I hear you ask? Well okay, it doesn't really solve anything, but heck it'd be so fetch seeing that!
Yes! I want to see this! I second your idea.

Every kung fu guy who has come though our school has not been able to finish our conditioning.

They just are not fit.
I believe you, but it’s sad. It’s why I focus on fitness, balance, coordination, and posture.You can take those things and use them regardless of style. Being fit will help everything else, not just fighting, but that too. I find that I am more able to explore other gyms and other martial arts experiences because I’m fit, I have good balance, posture and coordination. It lends itself to any activity, which IMO is more useful and valuable to me in my daily life. My teachers were of the opinion that if you gas at the workout, you aren’t able to effectively learn martial arts anyway.

Remember the tell-all book by Jose Canseco about rampant steroid use in baseball? I never read it myself, but I remember all the hoopla when it when it was released.

So why would baseball players be interested in steroids? Likely the following:

1. Enables pitchers to throw harder and faster, increasing the likelihood of strikeout.
2. Enables batters to swing harder and faster, which has two benefits:
- Increases the likelihood of a homerun
- Allows batters to delay the swing and keep their eye on the ball longer
3. Gets the ball to the bases faster, increasing the number outs on the part of the runners, and
4. Reduces the likelihood of bases being successfully stolen.

If increased physical strength does this for baseball, then how can it not do anything for martial arts?
Good point. Sounds like all those things have to do with being able to explosively accelerate your mass/skeleton into motion faster correct? Guess I was thinking more along the lines of hulk smash strength

Every kung fu guy who has come though our school has not been able to finish our conditioning.

They just are not fit.
One of my students was in United States Marine Corps. When I asked him to do the "uphill single leg hopping with wooden fence pole", he said Kung Fu training is harder than his marine corps training.

Some Kung Fu training is hard.

So aside from added mass and being able to muscle techniques into working. What really are the benefits of great physical strength in fighting?
In any unarmed combat situation, having proper skills means that you rely on biomechanics to maximize the result given your strength. You get much more out of each movement, so to say. The more you are skilled and the less is your opponent, the more this moves probabilities in your favor.

However "much more" may not mean "enough" - also considering that very rarely any application will be optimal: you aim for the optimal, but any confrontation is messy and chaotic.

So having great physical strength may allow an opponent to overcome your attempt even when it's properly executed, or you to overcome his. In other words, it moves the probabilities in the opposite direction. You can be as good as you want in throwing, but nobody can throw an elephant, or a truck.

It's also the reason for which, everything else being equal, the probabilities are always in favor of the people with the greater physical strength (usually the size) and stamina. Speed (and therefore power) and precision can compensate, but for the biggest person it's enough to hit you once...

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back