My favorite EDC

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I leave my house every day. I always make sure I'm packing my favorite EDC. Here's a photo of it:

Oh, right. It's nothing. No gun, no knife. I'm just not tacticool.

Is it because my hands are registered lethal weapons? No. I'm barely average as a martial artist.

It's due to a variety of reasons.

The first is an honest assessment of risk. I'm an older male, (fortunately) living in a middle-class suburban setting in a western nation. My exposure to the type of violence others may face is minimal.

When I'm not at home, I'm at work, usually. My employer doesn't permit employees to carry weapons, even with state issued permits. So any weapon I'd choose to carry would have to stay in my truck.

I don't go to places where gun violence is more common. Just a personal choice.

I have nothing against guns and knives, and swords are cool although I have very little idea how to use a sword. I own lots of guns, even had a federal curio and relic collector's license for years. I routinely carry pocket knives when doing yard work, but for utility, not self-defense.

I used to engage in violence on a near-daily basis as an MP in the Marine Corps in the 70s and 80s. I loved to fight and was reasonably good at it. I was young and foolish.

I don't care if other people choose to arm themselves, except for idiots (and as I've said before, I think most people are, sadly, morons).

"It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." That's true. The same could be said of steamrollers. If I had a steamroller and discovered that I suddenly needed one, that would be great. Chances are I won't need a steamroller, though. Same for a gun in my judgment.

I also find it interesting that although those who go about armed claim that it's not a macho thing, there's a fair amount of size or caliber comparison going on. Almost like they were comparing, er, something else. Pickup trucks. Nobody ever brags about having a small one. I mean, I do. I've got the smallest one. I mean my truck. It's a 94 Toyota. Tiny. Hey, I still do a lot with it.

Finally, I'm lazy and forgetful. I frequently accidentally leave my wallet on my desk at work. I know I would not have the self-discipline to carry a knife or firearm every day. I know plenty of people who do carry who will honestly admit they don't carry every day either. Must suck to arrive at the shootout on the one day you're not strapped.

When I leave my house every day. I always make sure I'm packing my favorite EDC. Here's a photo of it:

Oh, right. It's nothing. No gun, no knife. I'm just not tacticool.

Is it because my hands are registered lethal weapons? No. I'm barely average as a martial artist.

It's due to a variety of reasons.

The first is an honest assessment of risk. I'm an older male, (fortunately) living in a middle-class suburban setting in a western nation. My exposure to the type of violence others may face is minimal.

When I'm not at home, I'm at work, usually. My employer doesn't permit employees to carry weapons, even with state issued permits. So any weapon I'd choose to carry would have to stay in my truck.

I don't go to places where gun violence is more common. Just a personal choice.

I have nothing against guns and knives, and swords are cool although I have very little idea how to use a sword. I own lots of guns, even had a federal curio and relic collector's license for years. I routinely carry pocket knives when doing yard work, but for utility, not self-defense.

I used to engage in violence on a near-daily basis as an MP in the Marine Corps in the 70s and 80s. I loved to fight and was reasonably good at it. I was young and foolish.

I don't care if other people choose to arm themselves, except for idiots (and as I've said before, I think most people are, sadly, morons).

"It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it." That's true. The same could be said of steamrollers. If I had a steamroller and discovered that I suddenly needed one, that would be great. Chances are I won't need a steamroller, though. Same for a gun in my judgment.

I also find it interesting that although those who go about armed claim that it's not a macho thing, there's a fair amount of size or caliber comparison going on. Almost like they were comparing, er, something else. Pickup trucks. Nobody ever brags about having a small one. I mean, I do. I've got the smallest one. I mean my truck. It's a 94 Toyota. Tiny. Hey, I still do a lot with it.

Finally, I'm lazy and forgetful. I frequently accidentally leave my wallet on my desk at work. I know I would not have the self-discipline to carry a knife or firearm every day. I know plenty of people who do carry who will honestly admit they don't carry every day either. Must suck to arrive at the shootout on the one day you're not strapped.

My last few employers also had the rule / requirement to NOT have in the vehicle on the property at all.
They did not want someone going to their vehicle and getting it and coming back.
Loss of job offense.

I like pens. I am much more likely to need to sign for something and to have my own pen reduces cross contamination. :D

I just carry a puppet.
Screenshot_20240818_043929_Google.jpg

I carry this.
1724040426398.jpeg

Attachments

• 1724040024393.jpeg
    1724040024393.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 5
For some reason I couldn’t delete the gerber box cutter. Jeez. But the tool on the key is used like this

Attachments

• IMG_4900.jpeg
    IMG_4900.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
EDC isn't always about weapons. It can be about many other things that you can carry on your person that can be useful in any situation. Whether it's a flashlight, a Leatherman, a poncho, a pen, a pair of binoculars, or anything else that you can think of.

Back