Muslim student demands 'Year of Our Lord' to be stricken

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing new, that the usual rabble wants Christianity references removed. However, if someone is this insistent on removing such Christian references, then why did he attend a private Presbyterian school?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/29/college-students-want-lord-phrase-diplomas/

A group of students at Trinity University in Texas wants the Christian-rooted school to remove the words "Our Lord" from their diplomas, the Houston Chronicle reported.

"A diploma is a very personal item, and people want to proudly display it in their offices and homes,” Sidra Qureshi, president of Trinity Diversity Connection, told the Chronicle. “By having the phrase ‘In the Year of Our Lord,' it is directly referencing Jesus Christ, and not everyone believes in Jesus Christ."

Qureshi, a Muslim student at the school, is leading the campaign to remove the words. The Board of Trustees is expected to vote on the matter during a meeting next month.

On another note, even if they do remove "In the Year of Our Lord," from the diploma, it's still going to say "TRINITY" on it...

WTF?
Its as you say both a private and a Presbyterian school!! If I chose to attend a Hebrew, Muslim or Sikh school, I'm kinda going to expect some religious trappings from them, and I have no right to ***** about it.

It's a private school and they can presumably decide for themselves whether they want his business enough to cater to him.

I say "presumably" because we've seen a lot of government intrusion into the workings of private business lately, so for all I know there may be a bill in the works to make private religious institutions... not so religiousy.

In that case 2010 should not be a date anyone recognizes considering its origins. LOL
Sean

Muslims do use a different calendar, which dates from the time of Muhammed's migration from Mecca to Medina. According to Wikipedia the year is currently 1431.

I don't see it as a question of siding with or against the school because the school has not done anything against Islam. The language in the date may be non-inclusive; however, it is a Presbyterian school, as others have pointed, so it should not come as a surprise. I think there are other ways in which the school can be seen to be welcoming of various cultures and religions. This is IMO a fart in a windstorm.

another P.O.S. wasting our legal system and resources for a "piece of the american pie".

the real question should be... "why are you going to a christian school anyway... infidel?"

On another note, even if they do remove "In the Year of Our Lord," from the diploma, it's still going to say "TRINITY" on it...

Oh...the irony...

Well, I have to disagree with all of you.

I don't think the poor sensitive dear things should have to be offended.

Just don't give the mother ****ers diplomas and everything will be fine.

Just to clarify, the school was founded by Presbyterians. This doesn't make it a Presbyterian school. It operates under an independent board, for example.

As for the 'Trinity' on the diploma, well, a trinity can mean any three fold alliance.

"As for the 'Trinity' on the diploma, well, a trinity can mean any three fold alliance".

Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

As for the 'Trinity' on the diploma, well, a trinity can mean any three fold alliance.
Really? It's not a quote from a dictionary, it's the name of a school founded by Presbyterians.

I find it strange that a Muslim student is saying 'not everyone believes in Jesus Christ.' Muslim's do.

Here's an article from an alternatively biased sourced:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/30/trinity-students-want-our_n_518226.html

The debate started last year when Isaac Medina, a Muslim convert from Guadalajara, Mexico, noticed the wording while looking at pre-made diploma frames in the Trinity bookstore. When Medina applied to Trinity, university staff told him it wasn't a religious institution and that it maintained only a historical bond to the Presbyterian Church.

So the godly reference "came as a big surprise," said Medina, who graduated in December. "I felt I was a victim of a bait and switch."

Puts a differenct spin on the situation.

This is what Trinity University has to say about their name.

http://web.trinity.edu/x836.xml

Trinity University History:

A Tale of Three Cities

The history of Trinity University is rooted in the vision of a few hardy Texas pioneers who believed in the transforming power of higher education. Despite an unfavorable economic environment and unstable political conditions, they aspired to establish "a University of the highest order" shortly after the conclusion of the Civil War. Founded in 1869, Trinity's name reflects its Christian origins and the three regional Cumberland Presbyterian governing bodies that supported its institutional organization. Over the past 140 years, Trinity has occupied three different Texas settings: Tehuacana (1869-1902), Waxahachie (1902-1942), and San Antonio (1942-present). Including the Woodlawn campus, which Trinity occupied from 1942 to 1952, the University has resided on four campuses in three different locations.

There are clearly multiple meanings, but this description leaves no doubt in my mind that part of the meaning is quite religious in nature, and includes the meaning of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I find it strange that a Muslim student is saying 'not everyone believes in Jesus Christ.' Muslim's do.

The difference (I think) is that Muslims do not believe in the Holy Trinity. Jesus Christ is a revered and honored prophet, which is not the same thing as believing that Jesus is God. Islam, like Judaism, is strictly monotheistic.

another P.O.S. wasting our legal system and resources for a "piece of the american pie".

the real question should be... "why are you going to a christian school anyway... infidel?"
It's not a lawsuit.

Reading Fail. It was asked and is being voted on. Some oppose. Some don't, including the Student Government.

It's not a lawsuit.

Reading Fail. It was asked and is being voted on. Some oppose. Some don't, including the Student Government.

Taken a step further, the student in question is not merely a 'Muslim student,' but also a student of this University like any other. This student is challenging a tradition -- challenging sacred cows is part of the university experience. I still think there are other more important ways in which the school makes or does not make itself welcoming. So I still see this specific issue as a fart in a windstorm. If, however, this is a good school, this can be turned into a worthwhile discussion.

Let's not beat about the bush, it's attention seeking ******** on behalf of someone with nothing better to do with their time and everyone reading this thread knows it (or if you don't then you've been smacked on the head with the PC Hammer one too many times).

The Year of Our Lord is implicit before the numbers everytime any of us state a year. The only reason it's not written before the date any longer is because it is implicit. If that is not implicit as a prefix then Anno Domini is implicit as a suffix.

Kicking up a fuss about it being on a university certificate is grounds for being shown where the door is as you are clearly not a student with an eye on the proper goals but rather with one on being a disruptive jerk.

Oh dear, I said all that out loud didn't I? And me being these days decidedly Atheist rather than Agnostic as I have been for decades ... how embarassing :lol:.

Oh dear, I said all that out loud didn't I? And me being these days decidedly Atheist rather than Agnostic as I have been for decades ... how embarassing :lol:.

Embarassing? Bah! The beauty that is logic and reason, isn't it wonderful? :D

And me being these days decidedly Atheist rather than Agnostic as I have been for decades ... how embarassing :lol:.

Brother!!

The why did you let me fight the last atheist-religion battle by myself??? Damn it, even the colonies need help once in a while....:)

Latest Discussions

Back