Me teaching

Alright i will any suggestions?
Whatever takes your fancy. There’s so much brilliant stuff on here…admittedly from me…but just have a little look around.

So alot if you are coming off as arrogant know it alls ill say this meet me train with me test my stuff out then form an opinion
Thank you for posting the video.
But I don't think anyone here understands what you want done with it. Are you looking for critique, posting as a training video, or as a promotional tool?

I’ll pass.

I wish you well in your study of Martial Arts and edged weapons, sir.
I am less upset by that than by the Doug marciada types who have to come up with newer and more interesting ways to knife.

(What else do you really do with a knife?)

My issue is he isn't using any defensive movement.

But that is always my issue with these things

I'm just gonna say this: a box cutter is so short a range of weapon that if you can't fight empty handed, a box cutter isn't going to make much of a difference. You still have to get close enough to get your block knocked off by someone who would've done it even if you didn't have that blade. And by looking at your videos... that's exactly what would happen to you.

I find knife fighting an interesting mental puzzle because there is so many variables and so many preconceptions.

I get it. Nobody knife fights. So the experts are all suspect.

But one of the preconceptions we have is we imagine a certain type of knife fight. And then assume there is one knife that kind of suits.

So the biggest knife you can find to close distance and do damage.

But for example shiv works uses small knives and grappling to escape and get to a gun pretty much.

A different sort of knife fight.

I find knife fighting an interesting mental puzzle because there is so many variables and so many preconceptions.

But one of the preconceptions we have is we imagine a certain type of knife fight. And then assume there is one knife that kind of suits.

But for example shiv works uses small knives and grappling to escape and get to a gun pretty much.

And some styles prioritize slashing over thrusting. My school had 12 angles of attack, then a basic 5, and another 12 that was reserved for certain students(you had to earn the privilege to learn that particular set) 75% of the Kali system I trained In was slashes for bladework. We had a thrusting or stabbing set of techniques too. But I don't discount the idea of using a box cutter for self defense at all. Sure it's not something I'd personally use unless in a certain situation, but i think some people could make it work. The standing stationary is the biggest problem here imo, but I understand you needed to do that to stay on camera. If you are going to primarily slash your footwork needs to be your number one skill.

That's very important, but I think even more so is skill in using the other hand to check and cover openings caused by your slashing action. Both hands must work as a team.
That's true too. I don't know why I didn't think of that. So yeah Two most important things for slasher fighters footwork and checking and covering. I think the reason I said footwork is the scenario I was picturing in my head. I was thinking if this guy was going to go against more than 1 attacker(which is really almost the only legal way to use a blade in my state. We have a duty to retreat law) he would need excellent footwork. He would need to close in to slash then use his footwork to cut angles and zone in and out. A head on linear footwork would be very bad for that type of situation imo.

That's very important, but I think even more so is skill in using the other hand to check and cover openings caused by your slashing action. Both hands must work as a team.
When a lack in any of the skills can result in you losing the fight and potentially your life, it's tough for me to say that any of them are more important than the others. Footwork, body awareness, off-hand, balance, control are all important.

I like plastic knife fight game too. What's the difference between a scholar and a MA person?

- A scholar is like you take a 10-questions test. If you have problem with question 3, you skip it and go to question 4. After you have finished question 10, you then come back to question 3.
- A MA person is like when someone stabs a knife toward your chest. You have 1/10 second to respond correctly.

Knife fight with plastic knife can be interested. As long as your plastic knife can cut on your opponent's body, you win that round. Since you don't need to use too much power, the knife fight game is pretty safe and fun.

We all want to test how well that our body can move in a life and death situation. The plastic knife fight game can help us to achieve that.

I like plastic knife fight game too. What's the difference between a scholar and a MA person?

- A scholar is like you take a 10-questions test. If you have problem with question 3, you skip it and go to question 4. After you have finished question 10, you then come back to question 3.
- A MA person is like when someone stabs a knife toward your chest. You have 1/10 second to respond correctly.

Knife fight with plastic knife can be interested. As long as your plastic knife can cut on your opponent's body, you win that round. Since you don't need to use too much power, the knife fight game is pretty safe and fun.

We all want to test how well that our body can move in a life and death situation. The plastic knife fight game can help us to achieve that.
My JJJ sense I had doing rubber knife fights when I was 9. One successful cut or three successful blocks wins the fight. We had to scramble on hands and knees the whole length of the dojo to get to the knife.

Maybe I am just too naïve... but I don't get the importance of using a "box cutter." Lets say I trained in the use of a knife, in whatever style is best or available or whatever... and the only weapon of opportunity I have is a box cutter.... wouldn't all my knife fighting training still apply? Let's say I trained in this system, to use a box cutter.... but when the bad guy comes, I have the opportunity to grab either a knife or a box cutter.... I would grab the knife because it has more reach and will do more damage.... and all my skill with the box cutter would also apply.... What am I missing?

Self defense legality is not really a thing to use to differentiate here. Either I can use lethal force or I cannot use lethal force. Both the box cutter and the knife would be considered lethal force... as would a gun or most other weapons. If I can legally use lethal force in a situation, then I can legally use either one. If I am letting the other guy know that I have a weapon.... now we get into the laws pertaining to threatening people and again, I don't see much difference between threatening with a box cutter verses a knife in a legal sense.

Sure, if your work requires you to have a box cutter on you, but not a knife, then you would most likely have the box cutter... But again, training with a real knife in a knife fighting system, would translate very well here. I think the quality of the training would be more important than the make of the blade you use. But thats me.... feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

My JJJ sense I had doing rubber knife fights when I was 9. One successful cut or three successful blocks wins the fight. We had to scramble on hands and knees the whole length of the dojo to get to the knife.
Old saying said, "In a fight, you should feel that your shirt is on fire." You may not get this kind of feeling in sparring/wrestling. You will definitely get this kind of feeling in a plastic knife fight game.

If I were given a choice would actually prefer a 3 inch full tang kitchen paring knife that I can conceal in one hand, to a large or heavy knife.

Maybe I am just too naïve... but I don't get the importance of using a "box cutter." Lets say I trained in the use of a knife, in whatever style is best or available or whatever... and the only weapon of opportunity I have is a box cutter.... wouldn't all my knife fighting training still apply? Let's say I trained in this system, to use a box cutter.... but when the bad guy comes, I have the opportunity to grab either a knife or a box cutter.... I would grab the knife because it has more reach and will do more damage.... and all my skill with the box cutter would also apply.... What am I missing?

Self defense legality is not really a thing to use to differentiate here. Either I can use lethal force or I cannot use lethal force. Both the box cutter and the knife would be considered lethal force... as would a gun or most other weapons. If I can legally use lethal force in a situation, then I can legally use either one. If I am letting the other guy know that I have a weapon.... now we get into the laws pertaining to threatening people and again, I don't see much difference between threatening with a box cutter verses a knife in a legal sense.

Sure, if your work requires you to have a box cutter on you, but not a knife, then you would most likely have the box cutter... But again, training with a real knife in a knife fighting system, would translate very well here. I think the quality of the training would be more important than the make of the blade you use. But thats me.... feel free to correct me where I am wrong.
I am no knife expert, but the body mechanics probably don’t change unless the length of blade is significantly different, but there is a reason most swords are cut OR thrust. Not many swords do both equally well. Someone with more HEMA experience should probably weigh in on this. I have read a lot on the topic but I don’t know much beyond historical accounts of weapon development based on successes and failures on the battlefields of antiquity.

If I were given a choice would actually prefer a 3 inch full tang kitchen paring knife that I can conceal in one hand, to a large or heavy knife.
I prefer to have several knifes that I can throw (if firearm is not available).

throwing_knife.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back