Losing the urge

I guess it depends upon you and your past record. Have you stopped pursuits before for a "short time", to never take them up again, or have you taken such absences to give yourself a much needed rest and to avoid burnout?

If the later is the case, don't sweat it. We ALL need breaks now and then. Sometimes you emerge from a break better at a given activity than you were before.

As a painter, I have sometimes given up painting for a time - but I have always returned. Returning and continuing even when you don't "feel" like it is what separates the "also rans" from the winners.

It's hard to tell from the internet where your case stands. Like I wrote, it depends upon your personal history in other endeavors. Sometimes you need to continue even when you don't feel like it, other times you need to take a break to avoid burnout and to refresh yourself for a renewed assault upon the subject.

shesulsa said:
**Moderator Note:

**Thread split - flames removed.

**G Ketchmark / shesulsa
**MT Senior Moderator

Y'all can continue with the productive conversation.
Thank you. I'm really gonna miss the former member who flamed this thread. LOL.

Forgot in my previous post to echo the others' concerns to drink something with electrolytes, but NOT sugar, in it. Also, smaller more frequent meals may help. Your lack of energy may be solved simply by this. Heat takes a lot out of the body - and not just water, either.

Sounds like you've got a good, solid case of Kenpo burn-out.

Perhaps developing a fresh perspective, a new angle of thinking, or something along those lines would help you get over this hump.

I am not a student of JKD, but I believe that Bruce Lee wrote something in the Tao of JKD that the most important time to train is when you least feel like it. Maybe now is the time to investigate training burn-out and how it impacts all martial artists. You could then help someone else later 'down the road' in overcoming this issue.

I'm not sure that I've actually contributed anything useful, but hey, it was worth a shot.

Good luck.

Your training, your choice. Anyone in the arts for a long time knows what it's like to hit a lull, plateau or burn-out. Train when and how you feel like it. The only "rule" to remember is you can only get out what you put in. Good Luck on journey.

I agree with those that suggested a little break. Even when doing something like lifting weights, its good to take a small break, give the muscles a chance to rest and grow. Is it possible to not go back after the break? Well, anything is possible, but if the desire to train is strong enough, 9 times out of 10 the person will go back.

Mike

Yep..Take a break..Go fishing or any other type of activity that is not MA training..You'll return feeling renewed and probably train even harder..

Can I be brutally honest with you????

There is only one reason you signed up to study an MA One reason only Connect with that one reason you will find the desire to train, and if you cant then perhaps an MA is not for you, perhaps you would rather be camping. If so thats OK, and if you want to just take an MA on, on your terms, thats OK too. Please dont feel that you have to reach certain level. Perhaps there are certain external expectations on you to reach aa certain level, if so idnetify the external expectations and get rid of them, I know with me, because I had accelerated beyond my classmates ablities, my Sifu kind of wants me to carry the flame, the expectation in that actually made training a chore instead of a joy, I was no longer learning WC for the reasons I wanted to but for the reasons my Sifu wanted me too. I had to learn to take Sifu's expectations and relaegate them to HIS expectations, not MINE. Today when I train I do so because fo my singular reason, so that I will not be under the thu mb of any bully no matter size, weight or skill. That is my reason, what is yours?

bcbernam777 said:
Can I be brutally honest with you????

There is only one reason you signed up to study an MA One reason only
I absolutely disagree. This experience is very frequent not only when it comes to practicing MA but in fact in all kinds of learning processes. I am an educator and, before that, I was trained as a linguist: the process of learning a language is in fact very similar. The person learns the elementary-level basics very fast and with great deal of enthusiasm, only to then hit a "stop" at the intermediate level: this is the level where you can actually see and understand much more, but you cannot express yourself in the way you would like to (sort of like "jeee, I know this can be said, but I cannot say it yet!") Same thing with Martial Arts: at intermediate level, you begin to understand the logic behind much of your training, you become more aware of your mistakes and the reasons behind them. You know you have done something wrong and you can even say why on most occasions, but you also know it is going to take a lot of work to correct it and make it perfect. So it is quite logical to feel a little down and overwhelmed because of this awareness that you did not have when you were a white belt.

My 2 cents.

Peace,
A.T.
smileJap.gif

Several things could be going on, as you can see. You don't mention what you do to keep fit outside of martial arts, if anything but did mention that your spare tire has actually gotten bigger.

I feel it's time for you to consult three people and do three things:

1. Consult your physician and have him/her run some tests on you. You might be overtraining for your fitness level - for some people, it doesn't take much - and could be doing your body more harm than good if there's something wrong with you. I think this is what happened to me. Though I didn't train as much as others were physically training and I was in better shape and thinner than I'd been in years, my energy level absolutely crashed - I overtrained for my personal fitness level. DO Have the doc run a standard blood test on you as well as run a liver panel, a thyroid check, cholesterol, and a urinalysis. I don't know how old you are, but if you're nearing 40 and you're a male, have him run a PSA test - they don't do it until your 50 if you don't request it. Talk to your doc about supplements and stopping smoking.

2. Consult a personal trainer with the results you get from your doctor and your fitness history. Let them evaluate you and give you some ideas for expanding your fitness level without doing your body damage. Do take the program to your doctor to see if he concurs, and crosstrain.

3. Consult a dietician and share your status and goals with him/her. Sports nutrition is an important part of your training - you need to know you're getting all the protein you require, eating clean carbohydrates and combining foods properly. Do stay away from the Atkins diet and creatine.

Finally, know there will be lulls in your training, periods of disinterest (much like in a marriage or sig relationship). It's how you get through those that will test your character.

shesulsa said:
Several things could be going on, as you can see. You don't mention what you do to keep fit outside of martial arts, if anything but did mention that your spare tire has actually gotten bigger.

I feel it's time for you to consult three people and do three things:

1. Consult your physician and have him/her run some tests on you. You might be overtraining for your fitness level - for some people, it doesn't take much - and could be doing your body more harm than good if there's something wrong with you. I think this is what happened to me. Though I didn't train as much as others were physically training and I was in better shape and thinner than I'd been in years, my energy level absolutely crashed - I overtrained for my personal fitness level. DO Have the doc run a standard blood test on you as well as run a liver panel, a thyroid check, cholesterol, and a urinalysis. I don't know how old you are, but if you're nearing 40 and you're a male, have him run a PSA test - they don't do it until your 50 if you don't request it. Talk to your doc about supplements and stopping smoking.

2. Consult a personal trainer with the results you get from your doctor and your fitness history. Let them evaluate you and give you some ideas for expanding your fitness level without doing your body damage. Do take the program to your doctor to see if he concurs, and crosstrain.

3. Consult a dietician and share your status and goals with him/her. Sports nutrition is an important part of your training - you need to know you're getting all the protein you require, eating clean carbohydrates and combining foods properly. Do stay away from the Atkins diet and creatine.

Finally, know there will be lulls in your training, periods of disinterest (much like in a marriage or sig relationship). It's how you get through those that will test your character.
Great advice!! If you are not going in the right direction then you need to make a list of things that can be contricuting to your downslide. Then focus on fixing or reducing the effects of each one.

Set goals and set up the steps to get them completed. Also set a date that you want them to be completed by. It will all help.

Hello, I did quit many times in my younger days. How many times we look back and say " If I only kept going? I would be so much better now!"

It is the looking back to the past....you will see the growth or the lost.

One step at a time..................there is no other way.......

Many of us set goals to learn self-defense and as time goes along we realize it takes hard work..................it is very easy to give-up.......One day you will find martial arts does build's good charcter in your self..........and one day will you find helping others achieve their goals too.............Aloha

GOOD LORD! That is a lot of support. THANK YOU! I feel better about myself already :)

Couple reasons I wanted to learn MA:
Engage the brain. I enjoy learning new things.
Get in better shape: Used to be a Gymnast in Highschool and Collage. I was pushing buttons for 7 years and the most excersice I got was carring in the groceries.

As far as over training, I don't think thats a prob, the classes I usually go to are the technical classes, and we don't do alot of cardio or drills. So I guess I can blame that on myself (it's so much easier to blame others though :)

So, my first 2 goals are:
1- Attend 1 sparring class a week for 2 months.
2- Prior to all classes, 15 v-ups for 2 months.

Discipline is found throughout the MAs in every style system (whatever) that I have ever come across. Not wanting to attend class, because it's hot, leads to not wanting to attend class cause it's to cold, or because a movie I want to see came out, or my dog needs a bath, etc. etc. In time it also leads into your statement of wanting to teach, but on your own terms, not having a set time or schedule. But when you set your mind that I will go to class on these dates (classes during the week) even when I don't feel like it you start training your mind as well as your body (discipline). Then you will teach when you are needed and just not when you want or feel like it.
There is were my biggest issue is. I used to catch myself starting to make excuses not to go to class, and I always said "no, don't start that, you will do it all the time. Just go to class". I'm not sure when my excuses started winning out, but it ends now. Increasing my Self Disipline was a minor reason I joined MA. I just didn't realize it took Discipline to learn Discipline!

3- Sched my class time and go. 100% attendance for 2 months

As far as being an instructor. Having a set time to teach is usually part of the package
That is not an unreasonable statement. I was being selfish.

4- Get with instructor, see if he will let me finish the instructor courses and start teaching a class within 2 months.

So what do you think? Sound like a plan? I'm anxious to get it going now. Thanxs alot for the support and direction. :asian:

'A journey of 1, 000 miles begins with a single step.' Lao-tzu

Any time you set a goal for yourself, you are going to run into obstacles, but it is overcoming those obstacles that make you stronger. That is one of the reasons that achieving your goals taste all the more sweet. However, if it ever becomes painful to achieve your goal, or you lose the desire to do so not out of fear but simply out of interest, then maybe you should try something else. Before you do that, ask yourself why it was you took up a martial art, Kenpo in particular and if you are currently getting something positive out of it.

Good for you and your goals. Out of curiosity, how did you come up with a 2 month plan? Not saying its bad, just wondering how you came up with that number? Also, no wonder you lost the urge. All slower paced classes and nothing to get the blood flowing, anybody would be bored. I need high intensity training pretty much constantly (not saying this is a good thing) or start to wonder why Im bothering very quickly.

1- Attend 1 sparring class a week for 2 months.
2- Prior to all classes, 15 v-ups for 2 months.
3- Sched my class time and go. 100% attendance for 2 months
4- Get with instructor, see if he will let me finish the instructor courses and start teaching a class within 2 months.

I like your goals, but I think two months is very short term.

For goal 1, also give your self specific areas you need to improve, offense, defense, intensity, whatever. Then make the sub-goals you need to achieve it (better combos, better vertical punch, better timing, better non-telegraphic motion, etc).

And remember to have fun!

Lamont

ave_turuta said:
I absolutely disagree. This experience is very frequent not only when it comes to practicing MA but in fact in all kinds of learning processes. I am an educator and, before that, I was trained as a linguist: the process of learning a language is in fact very similar. The person learns the elementary-level basics very fast and with great deal of enthusiasm, only to then hit a "stop" at the intermediate level: this is the level where you can actually see and understand much more, but you cannot express yourself in the way you would like to (sort of like "jeee, I know this can be said, but I cannot say it yet!") Same thing with Martial Arts: at intermediate level, you begin to understand the logic behind much of your training, you become more aware of your mistakes and the reasons behind them. You know you have done something wrong and you can even say why on most occasions, but you also know it is going to take a lot of work to correct it and make it perfect. So it is quite logical to feel a little down and overwhelmed because of this awareness that you did not have when you were a white belt.

My 2 cents.

Peace,
A.T.
smileJap.gif
Great post!

The biggest downer can be when you reach the point where you are just good enough to realise how little you know! Can also be motivating though, as it is also the point where one realises that there is so much awesome stuff out there to play with and learn!

Dan

ave_turuta said:

My 2 cents.

Peace,
A.T.
smileJap.gif
I totally agree with you, because I also reached this point in my training, I am relating the view of what I had to do, which was to go back and remember what that one reason why i started Wing Chun, it did not automatically fix my "downer" but it did give me the impetus to keep training.

Peace,

cfr said:
Good for you and your goals. Out of curiosity, how did you come up with a 2 month plan?
I went with 2 monthes cause they are short, attainable goals. That and with the fall coming up, kids going to school, dojo sched will change and so will mine.

Blindside said:
For goal 1, also give your self specific areas you need to improve, offense, defense, intensity, whatever.
Good idea, I think I'll focus on getting to class and instructing first, then next set of goals I'll know better what I want to work on add it to my new goals. Thanxs

Hello, Everyone here knows you will be glad you did not quit!
A year from now when you look back.....you will know you did the right thing buy attending every class...............

For those who have been doing it for a long time know the benfits the training has provided in all these years. Not only the skills and excerise but the many friendships and good people you will meet and know... .. plus the self improvements to the mind and body ............Aloha

Back