Last Poster #7

The Japanese aren’t that different and they’re really accepting

All is well. I meant “we” as in the USA. Helene is not likely to be the last major hurricane to hit land on the east coast. The season is getting worse each year.

In the PNW, we don’t see hurricanes like in the East.
Very likely it is not the last, or the worst. Helene was a 4, but the scale goes to 5; Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale is a 1 to 5 rating based on a hurricane's sustained wind speed.

But up here on the northeast coast we don't see many hurricanes, got 1, a cat 1 or 2 in the last 20 years, and that was the first one on a long time. But in New England you do get some pretty nasty Nor'easters.

Very likely it is not the last, or the worst. Helene was a 4, but the scale goes to 5; Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale is a 1 to 5 rating based on a hurricane's sustained wind speed.

But up here on the northeast coast we don't see many hurricanes, got 1, a cat 1 or 2 in the last 20 years, and that was the first one on a long time. But in New England you do get some pretty nasty Nor'easters.
Wort one I recall is hurricane sandy, and that was a cat 3

Interesting work development

Received an email today from the main IT department (state office) I work for and the corporation that is taking over and I am now....superfluous..... yet I will still get paid..... not going anywhere...and no one yet does the stuff I do here....nor are they asking about it...... I wonder if this means I can sit at my desk read books and scan the internet all day..or maybe just spend the day doing Taijiquan and XIngyiquan......while the stuff I am no longer needed for, that has to get done, goes undone.... wonder how long it will take for it all to come crashing down..... same applies ot my supervisor too.... oh well..... he retires soon, and I am hopefully not that far behind

Black and white thinking is supposed to start in early teenage years (14/15 years old) and continue until around 22/23 years old.

I'm getting concerned over the amount of people nowadays who never seem to get past that stage of cognitive development. Or even worse, past it and are for some reason regressing back.

Black and white thinking is supposed to start in early teenage years (14/15 years old) and continue until around 22/23 years old.

I'm getting concerned over the amount of people nowadays who never seem to get past that stage of cognitive development. Or even worse, past it and are for some reason regressing back.
you and me both. its like everybody choosing sides with no desire what-so-ever to even try and understand anything else

As late as 22/24? That’d explain why I used to receive visits from undergraduates with 3-4 scientific papers in their hands saying,

“…this paper says that but that paper says this and then this one says something completely different to the other two!”

“And what are you asking me?”

“Well which is it? Which one is right?”

Then we’d discuss the nature of the progression of scientific knowledge.
It’s all on a gaussian curve and you’re probably just meeting young people on one of the tail ends of the curve. A significant few do get the nature of uncertainty of the grey areas….

you and me both. its like everybody choosing sides with no desire what-so-ever to even try and understand anything else
The middle is also a side. I am very much a “see both sides” person. As I get older, though, I’ve learned that choosing gray without critical thought is the same as choosing black or white. I have come to believe that there are a lot of folks who react to the middle as thoughtlessly as those who skew to one side or the other.

As late as 22/24? That’d explain why I used to receive visits from undergraduates with 3-4 scientific papers in their hands saying,

“…this paper says that but that paper says this and then this one says something completely different to the other two!”

“And what are you asking me?”

“Well which is it? Which one is right?”

Then we’d discuss the nature of the progression of scientific knowledge.

It’s all on a gaussian curve and you’re probably just meeting young people on one of the tail ends of the curve. A significant few do get the nature of uncertainty of the grey areas….
Yes, it definitely is a curve, and people around 22 years old should be towards the end of that curve. By the time they hit their late 20s, they should definitely be past that developmental stage, unless they've got some sort of developmental disability, TBI, or mental illness, and yet many are not (anecdotally)

The middle is also a side. I am very much a “see both sides” person. As I get older, though, I’ve learned that choosing gray without critical thought is the same as choosing black or white. I have come to believe that there are a lot of folks who react to the middle as thoughtlessly as those who skew to one side or the other.
I tend towards..
Balance, aka the middle way myself

yin_and_yang_symbol_chinese_taoist_taijitu_ceramic_tile-r222eccaa3ee6443ea6973e04fd1d0869_agtbm_8byvr_630.jpg

My time in hospital and state security taught me that there are always at least 3 sides to every story, "A's" version, "B's" version and somewhere in the middle is what actually happened...but it is rare that either 'A' or 'B' will ever change.... Today, many tend towards it is not black its white or those folks are wrong and I am right, and vise versa and neither will listen to the other

I tend towards..
Balance, aka the middle way myself

yin_and_yang_symbol_chinese_taoist_taijitu_ceramic_tile-r222eccaa3ee6443ea6973e04fd1d0869_agtbm_8byvr_630.jpg

My time in hospital and state security taught me that there are always at least 3 sides to every story, "A's" version, "B's" version and somewhere in the middle is what actually happened...but it is rare that either 'A' or 'B' will ever change.... Today, many tend towards it is not black its white or those folks are wrong and I am right, and vise versa and neither will listen to the other
I hear you. What I'm trying to say though, is that the middle isn't always balanced. Sometimes, it's just a third extreme. In some things, the balanced position is black or white.

Yeah. We assume extremism is a thing that happens to stupid people in poor countries.

Back