Last Poster #7

you and me both. its like everybody choosing sides with no desire what-so-ever to even try and understand anything else

The middle is also a side. I am very much a ā€œsee both sidesā€ person. As I get older, though, Iā€™ve learned that choosing gray without critical thought is the same as choosing black or white. I have come to believe that there are a lot of folks who react to the middle as thoughtlessly as those who skew to one side or the other.
For the record, I'm referring to more than just political sides here. But people who can't differentiate between all good and all bad. Simple example (there are much better, I'm just drawing a blank) would be stealing life-saving medicine for your significant other.

The good: You're protecting your family, and potentially saving a life. The bad: You're breaking the law, and potentially condemning someone else who was going to buy that medicine to dying themselves. People not being able to understand both perspectives (which doesn't mean you can't agree with one vs. the other).

Yeah. We assume extremism is a thing that happens to stupid people in poor countries.
I have to admit, the first two times I read that I was confused...... however the third time I read it right

What I read below

Yeah. We assume existentialism is a thing that happens to stupid people in other countries

The joys of reading the internet with my eyes

For the record, I'm referring to more than just political sides here. But people who can't differentiate between all good and all bad. Simple example (there are much better, I'm just drawing a blank) would be stealing life-saving medicine for your significant other.

The good: You're protecting your family, and potentially saving a life. The bad: You're breaking the law, and potentially condemning someone else who was going to buy that medicine to dying themselves. People not being able to understand both perspectives (which doesn't mean you can't agree with one vs. the other).
I am talking about more than political too

Black and white thinking is supposed to start in early teenage years (14/15 years old) and continue until around 22/23 years old.

I'm getting concerned over the amount of people nowadays who never seem to get past that stage of cognitive development. Or even worse, past it and are for some reason regressing back.
Well, I am north of 60 and my thinking is often very binary (black/white, 0/1, etc). I can do interpolated thinking very good, but not a fast as I used to.

Well..... THEMS FIGHTIN' WORDS!!!!!!!
haha. šŸ˜†

when Iā€™m looking for future leaders and managers, one of the things I pay attention to is comfort level with ambiguity and uncertainty. A lot of people arenā€™t prepared for leadership because they get squirrelly when things donā€™t fit in neat containers.

Iā€™ve been watching quite a few youtube clips about this kind of thing. People are asked if they are in favour of law and order and the rule of the court system to which they reply, ā€œOf course!ā€. Then theyā€™re asked why theyā€™re in favour of someone who is, say, a convicted felon convicted in those very courts. They pause and say ā€œIā€™d vote for her no matter what!ā€

People are asked if they are they in favour of banning certain types of book in schools? ā€œYes, some books are terrible for young people to read and they should read spiritual text X, Y, Z instead.ā€ ā€œWhat about a book which states itā€™s fine to sell your daughters into sexual slavery or promotes genocide and reports the killing of the first born child of an entire nation?ā€ They immediately say, ā€œOh thatā€™s disgusting and those books should be banned!ā€ Then itā€™s pointed out thatā€™s those examples are from spiritual book X, Y, Z that they mentioned earlier. Blank looks.

Itā€™s all very strange.

Iā€™ve been watching quite a few youtube clips about this kind of thing. People are asked if they are in favour of law and order and the rule of the court system to which they reply, ā€œOf course!ā€. Then theyā€™re asked why theyā€™re in favour of someone who is, say, a convicted felon convicted in those very courts. They pause and say ā€œIā€™d vote for her no matter what!ā€

People are asked if they are they in favour of banning certain types of book in schools? ā€œYes, some books are terrible for young people to read and they should read spiritual text X, Y, Z instead.ā€ ā€œWhat about a book which states itā€™s fine to sell your daughters into sexual slavery or promotes genocide and reports the killing of the first born child of an entire nation?ā€ They immediately say, ā€œOh thatā€™s disgusting and those books should be banned!ā€ Then itā€™s pointed out thatā€™s those examples are from spiritual book X, Y, Z that they mentioned earlier. Blank looks.

Itā€™s all very strange.
That's more like a gotcha moment and impacting their cognitive dissonance, then an issue on black and white thinking.

That's more like a gotcha moment and impacting their cognitive dissonance, then an issue on black and white thinking.
Yes I suppose so, but youā€™d think in that on the presentation of new data (for forgotten/ignored data) they might say, ā€œOh I seeā€¦if what youā€™re saying is true then I need to adjust my point of viewā€

Yes I suppose so, but youā€™d think in that on the presentation of new data (for forgotten/ignored data) they might say, ā€œOh I seeā€¦if what youā€™re saying is true then I need to adjust my point of viewā€
They might, in the future. But what you're seeing in those videos is the moment of cognitive dissonance, before the psyche has time to fully absorb the information and decide how it wants to react. This is pretty common, and has nothing really to do with what stage of development a person is in.

Had a bit of a reversion to smoking today. Got rid of the fags, flushed them down the toilet, gonna have to start again at square one. Expletives. Lots of expletives.
You donā€™t make things easier on yourself, do you? Youā€™re more likely to be successful, if you do things in gradual stages.

By the way, youā€™re not supposed to flush anything but poop, pee and toilet paper down the loo. šŸ¤Ø

Well it happens to stupid people in rich countries too. We have a guy that just talks gibberish word salad sprinkled with misogyny and racism that has half the population under his influence.

ā€¦.which is why I recently started mental health therapy. Itā€™s rather interesting. Odd that I find it comfortable.

My therapist thinks I have a history of violence. When I responded with ā€œthatā€™s a pretty good movieā€ he was at first confused, then his eyes lit up because he had seen it.

Iā€™ll try to help him all that I can. šŸ¤£

ā€¦.which is why I recently started mental health therapy. Itā€™s rather interesting. Odd that I find it comfortable.

My therapist thinks I have a history of violence. When I responded with ā€œthatā€™s a pretty good movieā€ he was at first confused, then his eyes lit up because he had seen it.

I learend a long time ago...joking with psychologists can be dangerous..... this was a friend, but I was having a bad day and he asked me how I was doing...I responded with...Well... I haven't decided to get my gun and climb to the top of a tower yet....... he gave me this concerned look and started counseling me....to which I responded...... stop it, it was a joke, you know me...don't make me hit you...he realized the error of his ways... but I hit him anyway :D

But I too had to see one professionally after my first marriage went belly up...I had major anger issues.... it was helpful

My father was an associated, violent, sociopathic, lifelong career criminal of the show boating, wants you to know who he is type. At a point late in life when my mother was dying of cancer he decided to go see a psychiatrist. I asked him what he told the guy, my dad said ā€œeverythingā€. I asked himā€ everything?!ā€ A lot of what my dad did had no statute of limitations. I asked what the response was. My dad replied with a chuckle, ā€œ he started writing really fast, and then sent me to the pharmacyā€. I asked ā€œ arenā€™t you worried about telling him ā€œ everythingā€? My dad chuckled again, and said ā€œno, I told him that if he doesnā€™t help me, I wonā€™t be able to help him.ā€ The psychiatrist called me 2 days later to ask me how best to release my dad from his care without offending him. Iā€™m betting the poor guy didnā€™t sleep well after that first session. I gave him some good advice on how to gently extricate himself saying, ā€œ I will try to help you as much as I canā€.

I learend a long time ago...joking with psychologists can be dangerous..... this was a friend, but I was having a bad day and he asked me how I was doing...I responded with...Well... I haven't decided to get my gun and climb to the top of a tower yet....... he gave me this concerned look and started counseling me....to which I responded...... stop it, it was a joke, you know me...don't make me hit you...he realized the error of his ways... but I hit him anyway :D

But I too had to see one professionally after my first marriage went belly up...I had major anger issues.... it was helpful

I get your point, but I wasnā€™t really joking with him, it was a pretty good movie. And a rather definitive term that is easily associated with that film.

My father was an associated, violent, sociopathic, lifelong career criminal of the show boating, wants you to know who he is type. At a point late in life when my mother was dying of cancer he decided to go see a psychiatrist. I asked him what he told the guy, my dad said ā€œeverythingā€. I asked himā€ everything?!ā€ A lot of what my dad did had no statute of limitations. I asked what the response was. My dad replied with a chuckle, ā€œ he started writing really fast, and then sent me to the pharmacyā€. I asked ā€œ arenā€™t you worried about telling him ā€œ everythingā€? My dad chuckled again, and said ā€œno, I told him that if he doesnā€™t help me, I wonā€™t be able to help him.ā€ The psychiatrist called me 2 days later to ask me how best to release my dad from his care without offending him. Iā€™m betting the poor guy didnā€™t sleep well after that first session. I gave him some good advice on how to gently extricate himself saying, ā€œ I will try to help you as much as I canā€.

Yeah, Iā€™ve known a few of those as a cop in Boston. Certainly nowhere even remotely as close as you. That must have been something. šŸ™

Yeah, Iā€™ve known a few of those as a cop in Boston. Certainly nowhere even remotely as close as you. That must have been something. šŸ™
I grew up around a lot of them. Secret service landed a helicopter in our pasture when I was a little kid. My dad was arrested for counterfeiting money. The main witnesss was murdered on his porch in L.A. 48 hours later. My dad was sentenced to 9 months at Terminal Island minimum security federal prison where he spent his time as a trustee gardener. His cellmate was Bill Bonano, ā€œJoey Bananasā€son. Several of my uncles and great uncle were involved. Two were murdered, one died in Pelican bay doing double life plus 40. I didnā€™t know they were different, I just knew people were afraid of them, even my other family members. Now that theyā€™ve all passed away itā€™s fine to tell the stories, I have lots of themā€¦

I grew up around a lot of them. Secret service landed a helicopter in our pasture when I was a little kid. My dad was arrested for counterfeiting money. The main witnesss was murdered on his porch in L.A. 48 hours later. My dad was sentenced to 9 months at Terminal Island minimum security federal prison where he spent his time as a trustee gardener. His cellmate was Bill Bonano, ā€œJoey Bananasā€son. Several of my uncles and great uncle were involved. Two were murdered, one died in Pelican bay doing double life plus 40. I didnā€™t know they were different, I just knew people were afraid of them, even my other family members. Now that theyā€™ve all passed away itā€™s fine to tell the stories, I have lots of themā€¦

ā€œThe Secret Service landed a helicopter in our pasture when I was a little kid.ā€

Thatā€™s not a sentence you hear every day. šŸ˜³

Have you ever thought of writing a book? Iā€™ll bet Iā€™d would be fascinating.

Back