Last Poster #7

British people are adopting another U.S. verbal trope: answering the question previously posed with ‘right?’

“It’s hot today, right?”
His stupidity should make him unelectable, but his voter’s stupidity means that he will be, right?”
“Monkey’s are cute, right?”

I’ve just heard this in a British advertisement! 😳 In the U.K., young people used to pepper their sentences with “errrr…”, now the say, “…like..” and now, “…right?”

British people are adopting another U.S. verbal trope: answering the question previously posed with ‘right?’

“It’s hot today, right?”
His stupidity should make him unelectable, but his voter’s stupidity means that he will be, right?”

I’ve just heard this in a British advertisement! 😳 In the U.K., young people used to pepper their sentences with “errrr…”, now the say, “…like..” and now, “…right?”
May be a regional thing, but I thought this was a British thing from jump. Not common here, at least. Kids do say “like” a lot, though.

Last edited:

“It’s hot today, right?”

May be a regional thing, but I thought this was a British thing from jump. Not common here, at least. Kids do say “like” a lot, though

May be a regional thing, but I thought this was a British thing from jump. Not common here, at least. Kids do say “like” a lot, though

You hear a lot of “like” and “right” in New England.

I love slang. There is so much, and it evolves quickly. You know how people used to say rad, or awesome, or bitchin to imply something is great or wonderful? Here is my personal contribution to that, “Yoga pants!”

Like, Awesome dude.

Slang changes a lot. It ages like us I guess. When I first heard the word f-a-g -g -o -t it meant a cigarette. I was told that before that it meant a bundle of sticks tied together.

When we were young teens it meant someone who couldn’t fight. Not because they were effeminate, they just couldn’t fight.
We know what it means now.

Fifty years from now it might be a model of Pickup Truck.

Slang changes a lot. It ages like us I guess. When I first heard the word f-a-g -g -o -t it meant a cigarette. I was told that before that it meant a bundle of sticks tied together.

When we were young teens it meant someone who couldn’t fight. Not because they were effeminate, they just couldn’t fight.
We know what it means now.

Fifty years from now it might be a model of Pickup Truck.
It might

I use some slang terms that my kids have no idea what it means....and I don't know their slang either....but my daughter takes one of mine every now and then and uses it at school.... and none of her friends have any idea what she is talking about

Latest Discussions

Back