Last Poster #7

Thank You, I looked into GERD diets when I was first diagnosed with Acid Reflux, and as long as I follow it, I'm good. Problem is holidays... Thanksgiving and Christmas and all the foods I probably should not eat. But it makes sense that the worst Gastritus symptoms appear not to long after the holidays.

As for Omeprazole, been on it, but they changed it yesterday to something else I need to go pick up today. The Omeprazole actually causes me stomach upset, nothing compared to what the Gastritis can do, Omeprazole just gives me an all day long discomfort.
This is me. I know what foods hurt it..but there are definitely some time periods where I eat those foods anyway. And I regret it.
That said, I'd much rather have reflux then cancer.

I feel like a sort of expert on reflux, because I cause it all the time (a chef's curse).

The natural sequence is long term reflux leads to Barrett's Esophagus (raw, eroded spots), which can lead to esophageal cancer untreated.

So once you get diagnosed, you probably have to watch and control your stomach acidic levels in general, mostly through medication. Omeprazole and similar. These meds aren't meant to be taken for more than a few weeks but for people with serious reflux, it's not a choice. But these are over the counter meds, $$ but easy to pick up.

It's doubtful you can fully solve the issue with just diet changes, but knowing "triggers" and avoiding or dealing with them is key. For example one of the worst is tomato sauce. If you're gonna have Italian, pop an Omeprazole the morning before. It takes a couple days to work but it nips almost any food-related GERD.

Soda, alcohol, greasy food, spicy stuff, all common triggers for people.

Reactively, you have various options. People diss on Tums but as long as you don't overdo them, they work. Or a spoonful of baking soda in a full glass of water. Drink, burp, Instant karma.

Just don't overdo it. Tums have a limit of like 4-6 per day, but if you are doing that daily, you probably want to take a daily med instead. Talk to your GI first obviously. You don't want to take those OTC meds regularly unless you are at the "do I want cancer or just an overmedicated kidney" stage.

Some foods that always help: anything relatively neutral or alkaline in pH.

My personal go to for GERD: Keep a nice stock of celery sticks. Most veggies are alkaline, but celery is full of water and won't make you gassy or bloated (which is why it's often served with buffalo wings).

Milk, lactose free or not, is a fast acting remedy for most people because of how it coats the stomach lining (also why it's often served as an antidote for ultra spicy foods like Carolina Reaper sauce).

Also, make sure you sleep with your head elevated with pillows or an adjustable frame. The worst damage from reflux comes during overnight sleep while you are lying down.
Wait so prilosec can prevent cancer? I take prilosec for gerd...it doesn't bother me much anymore the Gerd, but I'm on this medicine long term, I've tried stopping it and the Gerd is unpleasant.

Man some sales people upset me a bit. Like I went to a book store and was only gonna spend like $39 there...but the lady at the checkout convinced me that I'd save money by getting the rewards card...she said the card cost 20 but they would give me a 15 dollar gift card. Long story short I did get the gift card but the rewards membership was not what it seemed. Ended up paying $70 total for a card that saves me 10% and free shipping from their online store and the $15 gift card. Definitely not worth it and can't believe I fell for it. Facepalm.

Man some sales people upset me a bit. Like I went to a book store and was only gonna spend like $39 there...but the lady at the checkout convinced me that I'd save money by getting the rewards card...she said the card cost 20 but they would give me a 15 dollar gift card. Long story short I did get the gift card but the rewards membership was not what it seemed. Ended up paying $70 total for a card that saves me 10% and free shipping from their online store and the $15 gift card. Definitely not worth it and can't believe I fell for it. Facepalm.
yeah, back in the day I had the card but I am trying not to buy that many books.
So I haven't bothered getting one again in years.
the math is a little too involved

Wait so prilosec can prevent cancer? I take prilosec for gerd...it doesn't bother me much anymore the Gerd, but I'm on this medicine long term, I've tried stopping it and the Gerd is unpleasant.
Yes, chronic, untreated reflux eventually erodes the tissue in the esophagus leading to Barrett's, which is considered pre-cancerous.

All of those meds have long term health effects though, (e.g. kidney/liver issues, I think calcium deficiency) so if you are going to take them longer than the recommended time (about 3 weeks), you should only do so with a doctors observation.

Finally finished my 0-60 minute running program, today doing my final run of 60 minutes nonstop! Am over the moon!

I initially started it not because I wanted to BE a runner, but just to be ABLE to run. Also to improve my cardio and introduce a different stimulus to my body and also knee. After years and years of my chronic pelvic pain issues I did not think I would ever, ever be able to run again, have come such a long way. I very much like the eased progression of the program too, it definitely starts you off lightly and progresses slowly.

It's a 13 week program, yet took me over a year to progress through and finish it haha. Also perfect timing and good prep for my grading in 3 weeks. A very big deal. Iced coffee celebration for sure!!!

20231002_141150.jpg

Share a beautiful poem. Xu Zhimo studied in the University of Cambridge. When he graduated in 1928 and left Cambridge, He wrote this poem.

Taking Leave of Cambridge Again

By Xu Zhimo (6 November 1928)

Softly I am leaving,
Just as softly as I came;
I softly wave goodbye
To the clouds in the western sky.

The golden willows by the riverside
Are young brides in the setting sun;
Their glittering reflections on the shimmering river
Keep undulating in my heart.

The green tape grass rooted in the soft mud
Sways leisurely in the water;
I am willing to be such a waterweed
In the gentle flow of the River Cam.

That pool in the shade of elm trees
Holds not clear spring water, but a rainbow
Crumpled in the midst of duckweeds,
Where rainbow-like dreams settle.

To seek a dream? Go punting with a long pole,
Upstream to where green grass is greener,
With the punt laden with starlight,
And sing out loud in its radiance.

Yet now I cannot sing out loud,
Peace is my farewell music;
Even crickets are now silent for me,
For Cambridge this evening is silent.

Quietly I am leaving,
Just as quietly as I came;
Gently waving my sleeve,
I am not taking away a single cloud.

Cambridge.jpg

Not sure, but ain't a single hick from the sticks that I know of, gonna drive any fiat down here no how

Back