Last Poster #7

what is the current value of a driven mile. for tax and billing purposes?
I keep thining $1 a mile, but that was so 20 years ago.
Also, is Satelite Radio still a thing?
65.5 cents/mile in TN.
I recently had the same thing with my wife's new Lincoln. It had a 3-month free activation. It was great for our recent trip to the Gulf and back but neither of us drive long distances regularly enough to justify the $22ish it cost per month. If I still had to commute, I would have it or something similar like Amazon.

what is the current value of a driven mile. for tax and billing purposes?
I keep thining $1 a mile, but that was so 20 years ago.
Also, is Satelite Radio still a thing?

The thread about the feedback from a 7-year-old prompted me to read through some old threads on training for kids. I ran across this post from like 13 1/2 years ago in a thread about McDojos and literally laughed out loud:

1698094435651.png

Another gastritis attack today.... thank you yogurt with stevia in it.... but at least, by comparison to the previous attacks, it was the the easiest to deal with. My biggest issue uis it zapped my energy and I didn't get any training in.... getting a bit more energy though, probably go to some standing and taijiquan before bed.

Just more proof that this getting old thing...... ain't for wimps

Another gastritis attack today.... thank you yogurt with stevia in it.... but at least, by comparison to the previous attacks, it was the the easiest to deal with. My biggest issue uis it zapped my energy and I didn't get any training in.... getting a bit more energy though, probably go to some standing and taijiquan before bed.

the stevia gets you?
you know it's a simple fix: Have some bacon instead!

Yeah avoid stevia. It has a lot of negative GI syndrome side effects associated with it and other additives commonly found with it. A lot of the food science on stevia in the US and EU has focused on safety (it was banned in both for years), but not necessarily gut health, and more recent studies have shown the combination of it with other things (like alcohol sugars) can cause all sorts of GI issues, especially bloating which combined with typical gastritis is probably pretty gnarly, as you are finding.

Honestly I love yogurt but there is a lot of crap yogurt out there loaded with junk like this. IMHO, natural yogurt is better than all of them combined.

Ever notice how the yogurt aisle in many groceries is one of the biggest selections? My local one takes up half of an entire aisle. It's because breakfast yogurt is a huge seller, and 90% are basically junk food desserts parents feed their kids (complete with candy, cookies chocolate, and other unhealthy bits).

Yeah avoid stevia. It has a lot of negative GI syndrome side effects associated with it and other additives commonly found with it. A lot of the food science on stevia in the US and EU has focused on safety (it was banned in both for years), but not necessarily gut health, and more recent studies have shown the combination of it with other things (like alcohol sugars) can cause all sorts of GI issues, especially bloating which combined with typical gastritis is probably pretty gnarly, as you are finding.

Honestly I love yogurt but there is a lot of crap yogurt out there loaded with junk like this. IMHO, natural yogurt is better than all of them combined.

Ever notice how the yogurt aisle in many groceries is one of the biggest selections? My local one takes up half of an entire aisle. It's because breakfast yogurt is a huge seller, and 90% are basically junk food desserts parents feed their kids (complete with candy, cookies chocolate, and other unhealthy bits).

I generally stick to Chobani, but Mrs Xue got Okios last time and I did not think to read the ingredients, which is weird, I always read ingredients, ever since the Acid Reflux stuff

I have had Stonyfield, Two Good, Wallaby, Noosa, before the gastritis stuff. Had Siggis since the gastritis diagnosis, and, Siggis did me in too, worst attack I have had in awhile.... but that was the first day of medication.

I generally stick to Chobani, but Mrs Xue got Okios last time and I did not think to read the ingredients, which is weird, I always read ingredients, ever since the Acid Reflux stuff

I have had Stonyfield, Two Good, Wallaby, Noosa, before the gastritis stuff. Had Siggis since the gastritis diagnosis, and, Siggis did me in too, worst attack I have had in awhile.... but that was the first day of medication.
I've had a lot of success with this. Something my roomie offered me once after I ate too many hot wings.

It's basically peppermint oil in pill form. It says it can work in "as little as 24 hours" but I've had it work in under one.

1698157230337.png

I've had a lot of success with this. Something my roomie offered me once after I ate too many hot wings.

It's basically peppermint oil in pill form. It says it can work in "as little as 24 hours" but I've had it work in under one.

View attachment 30179
I made a peppermint tincture with apple cider vinegar rather than vodka. Took maybe 5 bucks to make 20 tincture bottles, and take it in the morning or before I eat something that will give me heartburn. Not sure how much is placebo vs. actual help but seems to work wonders for me.

I made a peppermint tincture with apple cider vinegar rather than vodka. Took maybe 5 bucks to make 20 tincture bottles, and take it in the morning or before I eat something that will give me heartburn. Not sure how much is placebo vs. actual help but seems to work wonders for me.
ACV is one of those things that seems to work for some people and not others. There's definitely evidence out there that it's helpful (it's actually a decent source of important minerals (being made from apples and all). Kind of depends what's ailing you...if you have low potassium or magnesium, it's a positive thing. If you're on certain meds where you should watch your potassium intake, be wary.

But it's also one of those "miracle cure" things that people think cures everything from zits to cancer, and I'm skeptical about its use as a heartburn remedy. Any acid really. ACV has a higher pH than stomach acid, which naturally raise it, but I think it depends on WHY someone has heartburn. If it's just from acidic food, it might help things. If you have full blown GERD on the other hand...

Personally, the best use of ACV is as a spritz on baby back ribs, imho, around the 4-6th hour of smoking at 220. IMHO!

ACV is one of those things that seems to work for some people and not others. There's definitely evidence out there that it's helpful (it's actually a decent source of important minerals (being made from apples and all). Kind of depends what's ailing you...if you have low potassium or magnesium, it's a positive thing. If you're on certain meds where you should watch your potassium intake, be wary.

But it's also one of those "miracle cure" things that people think cures everything from zits to cancer, and I'm skeptical about its use as a heartburn remedy. Any acid really. ACV has a higher pH than stomach acid, which naturally raise it, but I think it depends on WHY someone has heartburn. If it's just from acidic food, it might help things. If you have full blown GERD on the other hand...

Personally, the best use of ACV is as a spritz on baby back ribs, imho, around the 4-6th hour of smoking at 220. IMHO!
The main reason I use ACV is just as something to extract the peppermint from; it's the peppermint that's actually supposed to help the heartburn. Traditionally using some strong grain alcohol is what's recommended for most tinctures, I just figured that'd be more problematic for the purpose of the peppermint then ACV would.

And for my reason for heartburn; it's been probably close to 10 years since I saw a doc about it, so I might be misremembering. But pretty sure they said that my stomach itself was physically elevated, causing it. My mom and her brother have the same issue. I can't remember why exactly that caused it, I think it's either that it meant food will rise to my esophagus and cause issues there, or that it caused more stomach acid.

That doesn't sound right to me so i might have to double check my old medical notes.

The main reason I use ACV is just as something to extract the peppermint from; it's the peppermint that's actually supposed to help the heartburn. Traditionally using some strong grain alcohol is what's recommended for most tinctures, I just figured that'd be more problematic for the purpose of the peppermint then ACV would.

And for my reason for heartburn; it's been probably close to 10 years since I saw a doc about it, so I might be misremembering. But pretty sure they said that my stomach itself was physically elevated, causing it. My mom and her brother have the same issue. I can't remember why exactly that caused it, I think it's either that it meant food will rise to my esophagus and cause issues there, or that it caused more stomach acid.

That doesn't sound right to me so i might have to double check my old medical notes.
Sounds like a hiatus hernia, which I actually have had since I was a teen. It's a BIG leading cause of heartburn, reflux pain, and GERD. The stomach never really closes off from the throat, and acid being what it is tends to splash around. It's worst when lying down, but also bad when sitting because of how the stomach is pushed up through the esophagus. Controlling stomach acid with this is important for preventing or limiting some nasty esophageal things, but there are a few exercises you can do that help out.

Sitting up straight vs. slouching is a big one for keyboard warriors. All that slouching in a chair for long periods pushes the stomach up too far. Another great reason to never sit for more than 30m at a time if you can help it. Stand, stretch your body vertically, and you can actually pull your stomach back where it belongs. It'll return to protruding, but this can help alleviate symptoms for a while. It's more beneficial after meals etc when your stomach is busy churning HCL.

I don't really suffer much from heartburn nowadays, but it takes a combination of efforts. Staying active (ie standing), keeping lean helps, watching diet helps, certain supplements and/or medications if necessary. Avoiding alcohol helps across the board.

Sounds like a hiatus hernia, which I actually have had since I was a teen. The stomach never really closes off from the throat, and acid being what it is tends to splash around. It's worst when lying down, but also bad when sitting upright because of how the stomach is pushed up through the esophagus. Controlling stomach acid with this is important for preventing or limiting some nasty esophageal things, but there are a few exercises you can do that help out.

Sitting up straight vs. slouching is a big one for keyboard warriors. Another great reason to never sit for more than 30m at a time if you can help it. Some people believe sitting too much actually causes this, I don't know. Not a medical doctor, but I know the condition well.

I don't really suffer much from heartburn nowadays, but it takes a combination of efforts. Staying active (ie standing), keeping lean helps, watching diet helps, certain supplements and/or medications if necessary. Avoiding alcohol helps across the board.
Sounds about right to what my triggers are (posture is the biggest). It's not a huge deal for me, for similar reasons. Worst for my uncle, but he's also heavier, likes to drink beer (at least more than me or my mom) and works from a computer all day.

Working in the yard doing one of my least favorite jobs and I realized, when you like the worst job at home better than the best job at work..... it is time to retire

I actually read that peppermint may be contributing to reflux issues.

It depends on the cause. IF it's from food or an inflammatory issue, peppermint is heat absorbing.

If it's GI damage, like a scarred esophagus, almost anything chemically reactive is going to cause an issue. In those cases you usually need medicine (before meals).

The typical test is pretty easy: have GI symptoms, take peppermint, is fixed? Continue. Have symptoms, they get worse, don't.

A very natural remedy is celery or carrots, which combined with just plain water, also absorbs acid (Buffalo wing eaters mastered this a century ago).

Someone else got let go today from my job. A support person that they asked to do implementation work/dev work in addition to his support work, because the department is understaffed (due to their previous layoffs/firings). He was doing it, even came in last saturday because of the extra work, but let them know he wasn't happy his workload got tripled. Apparently that was enough to fire him..and now they have no one on the support team for that product. Someone new is starting on monday, with no one to train him. Doesn't seem like the smartest solution to their staffing shortages.

And the guy who was accepting that he had to do triple work, is also here on a work visa. So he's got 60 days to figure out his next plan of action.

Latest Discussions

Back