It was only a matter of time. McDojo vitcim beaten up

How do you know what’s part of my training?
I was talking about general YOU.

It doesn't matter what respond you may have as long as your training become your natural body reflex.

Somone slaps you, your natural reflex is to slap back. If someone slaps me, my natural reflex is to kick out my leg without thinking (leg is longer than the arm).

The only reality is that people hit others when they think they can get away with it. Will wasn't going to go up there and just hit anyone. Will and his family are dysfunctional all of them are messed up, they should have just had a normal life. All of that fame is toxic for them.
I’ve seen people completely triggered. Not just mad, but where something just uncorks a whole lot of baggage that releases without thought to consequences. I wouldn’t be surprised if Will Smith had no clue what he was doing until after it was over.

I mean, you may be right. No way to really know for sure. But my money would be that Will wasn’t thinking for a moment whether he would get away with it or not. He just heard the wrong joke at the wrong time about something that was deeply personal and embarrassing and he saw red.

I’ve seen people completely triggered. Not just mad, but where something just uncorks a whole lot of baggage that releases without thought to consequences. I wouldn’t be surprised if Will Smith had no clue what he was doing until after it was over.

I mean, you may be right. No way to really know for sure. But my money would be that Will wasn’t thinking for a moment whether he would get away with it or not. He just heard the wrong joke at the wrong time about something that was deeply personal and embarrassing and he saw red.
It would be interesting to get an honest account as to why he did it.

Your gymnastics class would want to be pretty clear if it didn't teach gymnastics though.
By the way, in this particular case, "what I'm teaching you is not meant to hurt others" makes expectations pretty clear, doesn't it?

By the way, in this particular case, "what I'm teaching you is not meant to hurt others" makes expectations pretty clear, doesn't it?

Ah, yes. The big red button. No one knows what happens when you press it; all you know is that you were told not to press it under any circumstances. But can you resist your desire to find out what happens?

People dance around the concept of martial arts in a way that nobody would put up with in any other activity.

If someone is simulating an attack and successfully defending it. And it is not absolutely driven home that this activity is for entertainment purposes only. (Say you were doing stage fighting, stunt work or professional wrestling)

It is implied that you are learning to fight.

Pretty much.

Now you might specifically make that distinction. But martial arts in general has a very bad habit of sidling up to this idea that they are trying to fight. While pretending they are not.(while pretending they are)

Where gymnastics does not pretend to be anything other than gymnastics. And it works within its own scope.

If I took you from your gymnastics training and placed you in a real world gymnastics problem. You could still gymnastics your way out of that.

If I took you from your knife defence training and put you in a real world knife defence problem. Not so much

Hey guys martial arts is not about fighting.

(Simulates fighting)

Last edited:
Side question. What is is about pretend fighting that develops character in a way that actually learning to fight doesn't?
Shouldn't your martial arts training have "pretend fighting" embedded within it?

I will say that, when I was a kid, the boys who engaged in "pretend fighting" in their backyards had an advantage over the boys who didn't.

I remember one particular thing I used to do when playfighting as a pre-teen. The second kiai point on Pinan/Heian Yondan, where you grab the head and pull it down in order to plant their face on your knee. Except that's not where I first saw/learned it. I first saw it when playing Double Dragon (the difference is that instead of one big knee strike, it was several lighter ones). I incorporated that into my backyard pretend fighting. And when it came time to use it for real, it worked like a charm. Twice.

That said, there's no safe way to make things in the dojo exactly how they're gonna be in real life. However, if you're showing up to train on a regular basis, you're doing something that your potential attackers likely are not. That counts for a lot.

I don't doubt it. All of that drama in his life and how they put it out in public doesn't create any mental or emotional safe havens. His wife doesn't love him, nor does she want to be married to him, one of his kids is having a major identity crisis and recently said he's changing his career to become a "full time-Inventor." Him and his wife air their family hardships on tv, radio shows, and books. So yeah I can see him losing it.

I used to work with a guy whose brother killed his wife. He said that she just complained about something and wouldn't stop and he snapped and he didn't realize what he had done until it was over, and she was unresponsive. We he came to his senses he called the police on himself. One of the things I talk to people about is to "not push buttons." Some do it because they know they will "get a rise out of someone" others do it to "get back at someone" My personal view is say what needs to be said but only say it once. Don't keep saying it over and over. Don't belittle. Some people just don't know when to stop. Even if the person put up with it in the past. Things accumulate. Then things break.

It would be interesting to get an honest account as to why he did it.
He gave one. It falls in line what Steve was getting at about Rage. But he didn't go into it any further than that. The jokes were just "the last straw that broke him."
Side question. What is is about pretend fighting that develops character in a way that actually learning to fight doesn't?
Pretend fighting doesn't develop the same character. Pretend fighting is like playing. It's like 2 kids running around pretending to shoot lasers from their fingers. It's Entertainment, the most that you'll develop out of Pretend Fighting is social skills and creativity.

Kids will often stop Pretend fighting when things get too serious for them.

I don't doubt it. All of that drama in his life and how they put it out in public doesn't create any mental or emotional safe havens. His wife doesn't love him, nor does she want to be married to him, one of his kids is having a major identity crisis and recently said he's changing his career to become a "full time-Inventor." Him and his wife air their family hardships on tv, radio shows, and books. So yeah I can see him losing it.

I used to work with a guy whose brother killed his wife. He said that she just complained about something and wouldn't stop and he snapped and he didn't realize what he had done until it was over, and she was unresponsive. We he came to his senses he called the police on himself. One of the things I talk to people about is to "not push buttons." Some do it because they know they will "get a rise out of someone" others do it to "get back at someone" My personal view is say what needs to be said but only say it once. Don't keep saying it over and over. Don't belittle. Some people just don't know when to stop. Even if the person put up with it in the past. Things accumulate. Then things break.
Yeah, I think that the one big slap was actually about a dozen smaller slaps that he knew he couldn't get away with giving to Jada, so he unleashed them at all once on Chris Rock. I've known several men over the years like this. They're henpecked at home and they really want to go Ike Turner on their wives - but they can't, so they take it out on other men.

I will say that, when I was a kid, the boys who engaged in "pretend fighting" in their backyards had an advantage over the boys who didn't.
My guess is that it wasn't pretend fighting. Probably social ranking among friends which decided who was going to be the alpha.
This is pretend fighting

This is social ranking

This is pretend fighting

This is social ranking

Rough house play is social ranking. It a way to determine the order and social rank among friends. It's definitely not pretend.

eah, I think that the one big slap was actually about a dozen smaller slaps that he knew he couldn't get away with giving to Jada, so he unleashed them at all once on Chris Rock. I've known several men over the years like this
Add me to the list. I used to be like that in my 20's I had a roommate that was just like me. We both said at the time that if we got into the fight that will would take as an opportunity to beat the guy up for all the things that happened in the past. We laughed at it but we were dead serious. I was able to release some of that anger, where as he took much longer. Even today I worry that he's still holding onto that anger. I think I got rid of my anger when I started kung fu or after I took a break from college. Kung Fu gave me an outlet to channel the aggression in a more constructive way. My break from college allowed made it possible for me not to be around the things I hated the most about people and their maturity.

Now my anger tank is empty and there's nothing in the past that haunts me in terms of anger. I don't hang around people or listened to radio that causes me to be angry.

Yeah, I think that the one big slap was actually about a dozen smaller slaps that he knew he couldn't get away with giving to Jada, so he unleashed them at all once on Chris Rock. I've known several men over the years like this. They're henpecked at home and they really want to go Ike Turner on their wives - but they can't, so they take it out on other men.
He would be happier if he just removed himself from the toxic people in his life. Chalk up the past as a lost and move forward. Dont' marry another Hollywood or musical star. Find someone normal with normal stuff to worry about..

Shouldn't your martial arts training have "pretend fighting" embedded within it?

I remember one particular thing I used to do when playfighting as a pre-teen. The second kiai point on Pinan/Heian Yondan, where you grab the head and pull it down in order to plant their face on your knee. Except that's not where I first saw/learned it. I first saw it when playing Double Dragon (the difference is that instead of one big knee strike, it was several lighter ones). I incorporated that into my backyard pretend fighting. And when it came time to use it for real, it worked like a charm. Twice.

That said, there's no safe way to make things in the dojo exactly how they're gonna be in real life. However, if you're showing up to train on a regular basis, you're doing something that your potential attackers likely are not. That counts for a lot.
Yeah. It should have an element of play. But that play should have some sort of skill building.

As a child you play hide and seek. You get good at hiding and seeking.

Yeah. It should have an element of play. But that play should have some sort of skill building.
Play is more rooted into reality than Pretend. Pretend is more of a mental exercise that is geared more towards creativity and imagination. The entire concept of pretend is to act as if something is true when it is not.

So when people pretend to fight, they act like they are fighting but they are not. I don't want my martial arts to be like this. I don't want to act like I can fight when I really cannot. This would be the definition of a bluff.

When someone calls it then reality will be a sobering and painful thing.
Pretend Fighting meets Play

Latest Discussions

Back