How far would you travel to train......

Travel is an issue, but it all depends on your dedication and objectives in learning American Kenpo! If you feel a break in your training would not be detremental, go for it.
But be true to yourself and your training, and dont let anyone knock you down for that decision!

I travel 2 hours one way. Did that once a week for a year and a half for an hour private lesson. Now, I travel twice a month (every other week) for a 2 hour private each time. There were other instructors closer but once I met my instructor and what he had to offer I didn't want to train anywhere else. I would have to agree with most on here and go with the best instructor. Everything else will fall into place.

It's less than a 20 minute commute for me. But depending on the detours I may have to make based on the traffic, I end up driving right past up to five other karate dojos (but a minimum of two, if traffic on the main route is clear) just to get to mine. One of them is two blocks down the street from me - about a 10 minute walk.

If the commute between several options are all less than 45 minutes, I don't let the commute time (or distance) dictate my choice.

I have an approximate 30 minute drive to class depending on traffic. Thursdays & Sundays. Sometimes the process can be difficult, but the reward is good.

Before I ever trained I met a guy who was a green belt in Greek Gojo-Ryu. I didn’t have a car, but he did and drove us to class. Then he quit a few months in.

So I went by public transportation. A bus, a train, switch to another train, then walk a mile. Did that for a whole five months. The two hour trip just wasn’t worth it for an hour long class.

Then a dojo opened in the next town. I was all in. Twenty minute bus ride and a short walk.

Then I got my first car and went everywhere to train.

Cars are awesome.

I want to learn Hyakuhachiho (the Shotokan version of Suparenpai) which is very rare in Shotokan. To my knowledge, only SKIF and JKS teach it and I'm several hundred miles away from the closest of either one. I'm actually willing to purchase the plane tickets for it.

It's an approximately 25-minute drive to my Kenpo school. Sometimes end of the day traffic affects that. My class starts at 7:30.

Latest Discussions

Back