Dropped my sparring partner, so he says

No, the questions are in post #231.
You: "Yes, this is what I have been explaining repeatedly. In your image, both you and I are in the fight zone, because you can reach me. Now, do you agree or
disagree?"

My answer to this is no, we do not agree. In reality, If someone has longer legs and arms. It is possible for them to reach you but it's not possible for you to reach them at the same distance. You are in his fight zone, but he's not in your fight zone. I answered this when I brought up someone being taller. I base the fight zone as the range in which someone will attack

You :"Are you willing to answer the question? That would make it easier to understand you to start."
I just answered your question and you'll just loop back to
1. 2 arms length and
2. A step forward.
Is what a make a safe zone. I can actually move my foot back and still accomplish

None of this is going to help you. In addition None of those answers have anything to do with what you train.

Ideally, parry with the front then strike with the front - back hand for 2nd layer of defense or to continue the attack.
That's how I learned it. The rear gets what the front is not able to catch in time or the front hand may be busy so the rear has to take over the task of parry

I also do a rear hand parry while transitioning to lead hand. So I parry and move forward while my rear hand becomes my lead hand.

Last edited:
You: "Yes, this is what I have been explaining repeatedly. In your image, both you and I are in the fight zone, because you can reach me. Now, do you agree or
disagree?"

My answer to this is no, we do not agree. In reality, If someone has longer legs and arms. It is possible for them to reach you but it's not possible for you to reach them at the same distance. You are in his fight zone, but he's not in your fight zone. I answered this when I brought up someone being taller. I base the fight zone as the range in which someone will attack
Yes, the safe zone is where my opponent can't reach me regardless of how long their legs are. So, we agree or disagree?

You base the fight zone on how someone will attack or if they can reach you (conventional definition)?

You :"Are you willing to answer the question? That would make it easier to understand you to start."
I just answered your question and you'll just loop back to
1. 2 arms length and
2. A step forward.
Is what a make a safe zone. I can actually move my foot back and still accomplish
Agree. If you move your back foot to the front foot and can reach me, then you are in the fight zone. Fight zone is you can reach me. Safe zone is you cannot reach me, agree or disagree?

In your scenario when you step your back foot to the front foot, I can step my back foot to the front foot (action/reaction principle). So, we are both in the fight zone. Or, I can step back and maintain the safe zone.

Last edited:
Yes, the safe zone is where my opponent can't reach me regardless of how long their legs are. So, we agree or disagree?
Yep I answered your question and I still have no answer about what you train. Do you think you would still be on this if we agreed?

You don't count the most powerful attacks, coming from kicking with the back leg? (turning kicks, pivoting on the front leg).
Back leg kick requires moving back leg. When you do that, you have to shift weight on your leading leg. This will give your opponent a chance to step on your leading leg knee joint or sweep your leading leg.
My definition of "safe distance" is a distance that your kick and punch cannot land on me without moving your back leg.

Ideally, parry with the front then strike with the front - back hand for 2nd layer of defense or to continue the attack.
That will work too. But you will lose control of your opponent's arm. Another way (switch hands) is:

1. Parry with leading arm.
2. Let your back hand to take over the parry.
3. You then strike with your leading arm.

By adding step 2, you still have control on your opponent's arm. It's more complicate but it's safer.

Last edited:
Yep I answered your question and I still have no answer about what you train. Do you think you would still be on this if we agreed?
No, it was confusing because you kept saying you disagreed. Now, you say you agree. When someone attacks you on the street, you can't ask them what style they train. It's not relevant. What is important is situational awareness, spatial awareness, distance, position and timing.

Last edited:
I also do a rear hand parry while transitioning to lead hand. So I parry and move forward while my rear hand becomes my lead hand.
I was just about to mention this. :)

During the fight's flow there is a lot of transitioning of front to back by changing type of guard or by body movement (your or his) relative to the opponent. For me, one hand or the other may be the best one to get the job-at-hand done. During these dynamics, "front/back" loses its meaning for me. Sort of like when a chimp fights it doesn't really differentiate between using front or rear hands, feet or teeth - it just goes "ape sh*t."

During the fight's flow there is a lot of transitioning of front to back by changing type of guard or by body movement (your or his) relative to the opponent.
It depends on the distance. Switching sides during a fight can be dangerous.

If I have right side forward and my opponent also has right side forward (uniform stance), the moment that he switches side (mirror stance), my back leg roundhouse kick will kick on his chest/belly without thinking. During a uniform stance, my kick can be easily blocked by his front knee lift. But during his sides shifting (mirror stance), his chest/belly is complete exposed. The window can be as small as 1/4 second. But that's enough for me to use my roundhouse kick to charge in (one of my favor entering strategies).

Last edited:
No, it was confusing because you kept saying you disagreed. Now, you say you agree. When someone attacks you on the street, you can't ask them what style they train. It's not relevant. What is important is situational awareness, spatial awareness, distance, position and timing.
I don't agree. That's the point. Me not agreeing shouldn't be confusing.

Gee. If I was in a street fight, I would have a better idea what they train after 30 seconds. Which is more than the multiple post talking to you.

It’s relevant to the discussion because of definition and nomenclature, yet you still don’t answer.

You don’t show any “street” you only show YouTube pro fights. I don’t believe you train at all, which makes any of your assertions equate to pure conjecture.

Back leg kick requires moving back leg. When you do that, you have to shift weight on your leading leg. This will give your opponent a chance to step on your leading leg knee joint or sweep your leading leg.
If you can shift your weight on your leading leg and kick me with your back leg, then we are in the fight zone. If I can step on your leading leg knee joint or sweep your leading leg, then we are in the fight zone.

If you have to step to kick me with your back leg, I am in the safe zone.

If you can shift your weight on your leading leg and kick me with your back leg, then we are in the fight zone. If I can step on your leading leg knee joint or sweep your leading leg, then we are in the fight zone.

Your living room couch is nowhere near the “fight zone”.

What you have just said is the same as I have said. Safe zone is defined if your back leg is not moving. When you are in safe zone, the moment that you kick your back leg, the moment you are no longer in safe zone.

Assume A and B have the same speed. When A uses back leg to kick B, B's leading leg can kick on A's belly before A's foot can reach to B. In other words, when A kicks with back leg, A has put himself in dangerous position.

My definition of "safe distance" is a distance that your kick and punch cannot land on me without moving your back leg.

Last edited:
If one knows how to move, one step and the following attack can be done in a heartbeat, especially effective if you catch your opponent at the right time. When one can reach you with this, it is NOT the safe zone. I would call it the on-guard/caution zone. Beyond this is the safe zone where you can relax your guard, scratch your nose, take a deep breath, etc.

13 pages to be exact.
yeah, At this point I don't care if I'm misunderstood.
Muay Thai has a slide kick that is done at the same distance that is defined as the Safe zone. 2 arm's length apart or a little longer, Front leg cannot reach with kick.

The difference is that the front leg doesn't have to step to reach. The rear legs pushes into the kick and the kick moves forward and lands. I posted some videos but took them down. It doesn't matter anymore.

Last edited:
Back