Attacking the Guard

When I attack the guard I try to do so in a manner that still protects me from counter attacks.
100% This is a must, which is why Jow Ga has 3 main options for the big wheel punches. I will only cover the first option
1. Send the punch towards the face. This addresses this issue that you state below about someone limping the arms. When I do this I my opponent 2 options:

A: Allow my strike to strike his guard
B: Limp his arm and allow my strike to continue towards his face.

Even if the punch is not close enough to land it is close enough to cause the opponent to reposition as a response to the fist pasing close to his face. In Jow Ga we "steal steps" by "small step advancing" during an attack so that our opponents will miscalculate the distance of the follow up strike. It's like how an animal stalks. If we advance to far to fast then our opponent will flee. If we advance slowly our advance doesn't trigger our opponents "distance warnings." The trick for animals that stalk is to advance in such a way that the prey doesn't see the advance and that the prey doesn't realize that they are now withing attack range. So for me. I don't want my opponent to see my advance which is why it's best to do it during attacking, and to make it small enough so that he thinks that my punches are still out of range. Jow Ga kung fu isn't the only fighting system that does this type of advancing. I'm only speaking of it in terms of discussing the other elements that should occur when striking the guard.

If this is your guard position then "limping your guard" will allow a strike that attacks your guard, but travels on a path to your head to land on your head instead of the guard. Even if my strike is too far out, it should still travel on a path that would reach the head. This way if my opponent advances or if I "steal a step" then the strike will land. When a limb is damaged then people will take priority to remove the limb from danger and forget that limb needs to stay where it is in order to defend the head.
1729817552917.png

If I smash down on one side and he limp arms. Then I have attacked my own guard.
"White shirt" can throw a long fist strike with his lead hand. That strike travels from right to left on a path that will reach the head. If the strike attacks the guard then the max power of the power will land on the guard. If no shirt limps his arm then the strike will continue on the path towards the head. If the strike falls short, then it's no issue so long as the strike is close enough to the head to cause the person to choose "Adjust position". If "White shirt" advances during the strike, then he should be close enough to land a secon strike so long as the the advancing step doesn't make the "no shirt" retreat straigh backwards. Keep in mind that this is Jow Ga. I do not strike the guard with boxing techniques.

In other words, when I grab my opponent's wrist, I do want him to respond so I can take advantage on. My goal is not on his wrist but on something else.

I don't see much covering movement in your approach to closing the gap.
We practice this outside the kicking and punching range by doing what we call "walking the circle."

We start from a range of about 6 feet, with one person in the center of the circle and the other on the perimeter.
The drill is to close the gap in 3 steps using a covering movement. The person in the center claps if they can spot the starting point of the movement.

Eventually, this is reduced to 2 steps, with the ultimate goal of closing the gap in just 1 step.

David Chin, closing the gap
Penetrating the space.

I don't see much covering movement in your approach to closing the gap.
We practice this outside the kicking and punching range by doing what we call "walking the circle."

We start from a range of about 6 feet, with one person in the center of the circle and the other on the perimeter.
The drill is to close the gap in 3 steps using a covering movement. The person in the center claps if they can spot the starting point of the movement.

Eventually, this is reduced to 2 steps, with the ultimate goal of closing the gap in just 1 step.

David Chin, closing the gap
Penetrating the space.

thanks for posting this video. @1:34 the teacher was going for a sweep but stopped.

MA is like playing chess, you make 1 move, your opponent also makes 1 move.

The normal fight should not be.

- A attack B and knock B down.
Good MA or chess: Your first move lures your opponent out of position. As your opponent moves out of position (double weighted), your next move finishes them.

- A safely lures B. As B moves out of position, A finishes B.

The normal fight should be:

- A attack B.
- B counter A.
- A counter B again.
- B counter A again.
No...

Martial arts should teach one to fight with an advantage (e.g., positional) rather than trade punches.

Last edited:
MA is like playing chess, you make 1 move, your opponent also makes 1 move.

The normal fight should not be.

- A attack B and knock B down.

The normal fight should be:

- A attack B.
- B counter A.
- A counter B again.
- B counter A again.
- ...m
This is certainly the case in competition - like chess, it's a type of game. This is sometimes the case in an actual fight as well, but ideally, shouldn't be. One's attitude should be "defend" and counter in a manner (thru position, physical control, pain or balance loss) that the attacker has no way to re-establish his attack. Once you have the advantage you should aggressively close and subdue him. This is the essence of Okinawan combat karate that Motobu Choki embraced. Seeing a fight as a give and take affair is contrary to this spirit. The attacker gives (opportunity) and you take him out. I think this is the main goal in a real fight.

This is certainly the case in competition - like chess, it's a type of game. This is sometimes the case in an actual fight as well, but ideally, shouldn't be. One's attitude should be "defend" and counter in a manner (thru position, physical control, pain or balance loss) that the attacker has no way to re-establish his attack. Once you have the advantage you should aggressively close and subdue him. This is the essence of Okinawan combat karate that Motobu Choki embraced. Seeing a fight as a give and take affair is contrary to this spirit. The attacker gives (opportunity) and you take him out. I think this is the main goal in a real fight.
Not really. It's about risk. The theory is you drive forward with these punishing attacks like a super cool dude.

Knock the guy out in 10 seconds and the whole room claps.

But what you are doing is engaging in the riskiest method of fighting (the highest chance that you will get clipped) while your opponent is at his quickest and strongest. And when you know the least about him.

So it gives you the highest possibility of getting knocked out.

It is risky to do in the ring with gloves in a fight that will get stopped if you misjudge your abilities.

Which is mostly why they don't do it.

It gets riskier if we take away those gloves. Remove weight classes have no idea what the other guy is going to fight like. And are not sure if the fight will stop, if you get stopped.

A safely lures B. As B moves out of position, A finishes B.
I see it this way too when I use Jow Ga. I terms of action:
A starts planned action
B responds to A's action

I always want B's reaction to be something other than an attack. Anything that causes him to recalibrate or think is a plus. Brain freezing up is a bonus because at that point he doesn't know how to respond and basically turns into a "Demo Partner" at that point.

In the video I posted showing attacking the guard, if Jow Ga moves straight then the risk of getting hit with a counter but when Jow Ga moves off center that movement doesn't trigger thecounterattackk response as easily. If I'm attacking directly then I need to look for a counter. If I'm attacking at an angle, then I'm trying to avoid triggering the counter.

This shows how that counter gets triggered.

This is a excellent example of the "stealing step" that I was talking about + plus taking an angle instead of going straight. This would be text book Jow Ga concept here. Clip set at ffighter

Last edited:
You are correct, as you describe it. However, the problem is between the "stepping and grabbing." There is a step missing. It is difficult in a combat situation (where the attack is not a simple grab) to apply a grab directly, for the reasons you point out here.

There has to be an initial attack on the guard prior to the grab to immobilize it, move it and put the attacker out of position to counter, or in a fashion that, as you later mention, kazushi (structural balance) is affected. Only then will the grab have a high percentage chance of being successfully set.
Here is a wrist grab in a fight. In Gamebred Bareknuckle 6, Sanford...

1. lures opponent to hand fight by extending and retracting his guard.
2. as opponent extends his guard, Sanford grabs the wrist lightly and attacks with rear hand.
3. as opponent defends by retracting his guard and shifting his weight to the back foot, Sanford sticks to the wrist, grabs head control, follows the opponent back and knees him.

drOvbjM.gif

.Martial arts should teach one to fight with an advantage (e.g., positional) rather than trade punches.

Agree 👍

In most instances, CMA was structured around a quick fight, aiming to end it within a few movements. This approach was partly achieved through variations across the many CMA styles, each thought to provide a decisive advantage.

Each variation, responses to new developments or innovative insights relevant to its time.

In the West, sportive events minimize these variations (e.g., height, weight, fight record) in an attempt to create a fair fight that showcases each fighter’s attributes. Partially why in the west, the focus is on the fighter over the style the fighter uses. In the east it's more about the style thought to give one a decisive advantage.

a little different 🤔

This approach is somewhat antithetical to real fighting, the ultimate expression " shock and awe " is "war" 🪖.

When martial arts become sportive or health-focused, the emphasis shifts. For example, "toughening the hands" some understand it for practical combat purposes, others focused on the side effects as a training process.

👍 Each perspective correct according to its focus.

Last edited:
You are correct, as you describe it. However, the problem is between the "stepping and grabbing." There is a step missing. It is difficult in a combat situation (where the attack is not a simple grab) to apply a grab directly, for the reasons you point out here.

Mantis uses this approach

Something I never really cared for coming from Tibetan white crane a long arm style
based on the principles of :

Chan (残) - Ruthlessness
Sim (閃) - To Evade
Chuen (穿) - To Pierce
Jeet (截) - To Intercept

Latest Discussions

Back