Attacking the Guard

When I attack the guard I try to do so in a manner that still protects me from counter attacks.
100% This is a must, which is why Jow Ga has 3 main options for the big wheel punches. I will only cover the first option
1. Send the punch towards the face. This addresses this issue that you state below about someone limping the arms. When I do this I my opponent 2 options:

A: Allow my strike to strike his guard
B: Limp his arm and allow my strike to continue towards his face.

Even if the punch is not close enough to land it is close enough to cause the opponent to reposition as a response to the fist pasing close to his face. In Jow Ga we "steal steps" by "small step advancing" during an attack so that our opponents will miscalculate the distance of the follow up strike. It's like how an animal stalks. If we advance to far to fast then our opponent will flee. If we advance slowly our advance doesn't trigger our opponents "distance warnings." The trick for animals that stalk is to advance in such a way that the prey doesn't see the advance and that the prey doesn't realize that they are now withing attack range. So for me. I don't want my opponent to see my advance which is why it's best to do it during attacking, and to make it small enough so that he thinks that my punches are still out of range. Jow Ga kung fu isn't the only fighting system that does this type of advancing. I'm only speaking of it in terms of discussing the other elements that should occur when striking the guard.

If this is your guard position then "limping your guard" will allow a strike that attacks your guard, but travels on a path to your head to land on your head instead of the guard. Even if my strike is too far out, it should still travel on a path that would reach the head. This way if my opponent advances or if I "steal a step" then the strike will land. When a limb is damaged then people will take priority to remove the limb from danger and forget that limb needs to stay where it is in order to defend the head.
1729817552917.png

If I smash down on one side and he limp arms. Then I have attacked my own guard.
"White shirt" can throw a long fist strike with his lead hand. That strike travels from right to left on a path that will reach the head. If the strike attacks the guard then the max power of the power will land on the guard. If no shirt limps his arm then the strike will continue on the path towards the head. If the strike falls short, then it's no issue so long as the strike is close enough to the head to cause the person to choose "Adjust position". If "White shirt" advances during the strike, then he should be close enough to land a secon strike so long as the the advancing step doesn't make the "no shirt" retreat straigh backwards. Keep in mind that this is Jow Ga. I do not strike the guard with boxing techniques.

In other words, when I grab my opponent's wrist, I do want him to respond so I can take advantage on. My goal is not on his wrist but on something else.

I don't see much covering movement in your approach to closing the gap.
We practice this outside the kicking and punching range by doing what we call "walking the circle."

We start from a range of about 6 feet, with one person in the center of the circle and the other on the perimeter.
The drill is to close the gap in 3 steps using a covering movement. The person in the center claps if they can spot the starting point of the movement.

Eventually, this is reduced to 2 steps, with the ultimate goal of closing the gap in just 1 step.

David Chin, closing the gap
Penetrating the space.

I don't see much covering movement in your approach to closing the gap.
We practice this outside the kicking and punching range by doing what we call "walking the circle."

We start from a range of about 6 feet, with one person in the center of the circle and the other on the perimeter.
The drill is to close the gap in 3 steps using a covering movement. The person in the center claps if they can spot the starting point of the movement.

Eventually, this is reduced to 2 steps, with the ultimate goal of closing the gap in just 1 step.

David Chin, closing the gap
Penetrating the space.

thanks for posting this video. @1:34 the teacher was going for a sweep but stopped.

Back