What's wrong with his kicking skill?

We don't see that in this video. This further prove that speed without power can be useless.
Agreed.

I have seen a school where one of the testing requirements for each level is to do X punches per minute and Y kicks per minute. Whenever people try to reach this level, they do not put their body behind the strikes and they have no power. I never understood the purpose.

Agreed.

I have seen a school where one of the testing requirements for each level is to do X punches per minute and Y kicks per minute. Whenever people try to reach this level, they do not put their body behind the strikes and they have no power. I never understood the purpose.
Not only resulting in a loss of power but form as well. Another practice of some schools is kiai-ing on every punch. This usually has the effect of more effort being put into the kiai than into the punch. I am not a fan of such practice. These things may go over big in a kid's class where fun is the main concern, however. I'm all for putting variety into the class, but when it detracts from the main purpose and goal of developing effective technique a line should be drawn.

We once had a fellow in our basketball team in primary school that would fall over after every... single.... shot he made. Fadeaway shot? Understandable to fall. Normal standard shot? FALL! Lay-up? FALL! 3 point shot? FALL SOMEHOW!

I was just like "Dude! Stop falling over!" Well, didn't say it but thought it. I honestly think he was just doing it to be dramatic and make it look like a cool shot.

Anyway, some of those kicks looked like sacrifice kicks, which may just be part of the ruleset he's used to. In Kyokushin knockdown tournaments, the kaiten mawashi geri ("torso turning rotating kick" or "Rolling Thunder kick") can be super effective if done properly, but in the ruleset if you fall, they reset you both, so they can afford to do this.

But some seemed like he was just emphasising speed at the expense of root, which again, is good for some rulesets, and not so much others. I dunno. I'm just speaking words at this point. *falls over*

Not only resulting in a loss of power but form as well. Another practice of some schools is kiai-ing on every punch. This usually has the effect of more effort being put into the kiai than into the punch. I am not a fan of such practice. These things may go over big in a kid's class where fun is the main concern, however. I'm all for putting variety into the class, but when it detracts from the main purpose and goal of developing effective technique a line should be drawn.
Absolutely agree with the loss of form. Debated putting that specifically in that post, and decided against it.

I was one of those kids that kiai'd loudly after every punch. Got told to only do it for big 'finisher' punches, but it did help me as a kid understand to put more oomph in my strikes. By the time someone hits 12/13 years old though it shouldn't be needed.

We were also taught to kiai on "hits" in sparring so the judges would notice better, which always felt dishonest to me.

And there definitely shouldn't be a requirement for kiai's or for speed, since that turns it from a fun thing to test every once in a while to something you're actively putting effort in at the detriment of your skill.

Bill Wallace only kicked two things, people and the air. Never a bag.

Joe Lewis only kicked two things, people and a bag. Never the air.

Whatever works for someone is the way they should go.

Bill Wallace only kicked two things, people and the air. Never a bag.

Joe Lewis only kicked two things, people and a bag. Never the air.

Whatever works for someone is the way they should go.
Another consideration is the type of kick and the target. Bill favored very fast roundhouse kicks to the head. These kicks don't need the strength component (that is developed on a heavy bag) as much as Joe's kicks did. Joe favored the side thrust kick to the body, a more durable target that is often covered up by one's guard that may need to be blasted thru. Contact fighters that specialize in roundhouse kicks to the body or legs may find heavy bag (or banana tree) work beneficial. There's no one simple answer.

Latest Discussions

Back