UC Davis 2.0

This is the key. Choice. The officer chose a profession in which he must uphold the rules of the society no matter what they are. In this case, upholding the rules has a hefty political penalty because of what the larger OWS movement stands for. If he was just enforcing the law on a local protest at UC Davis, I don't think it would have been such a big deal. UC Davis fits into the larger context of a general struggle against fascism and that explains the firestorm, IMO.
The officer was thrown under the bus due to a Boss that was afraid she was going to loose her job and needed a scape goat. She gave the order and when her left wing friends decided not to talk to her any more she back tracked and said "Oh Oh it wasnt me it was Lt Pike 123 Main St , anytown Ca. Get him Get him. Il even suspend him so we know hes home"

When gigantic financial institutions merge with the government in order to offer low interest loans that cannot be forgiven in bankruptcy and drive up the overall price of education, that's fascism. It's also another tragic bubble because the jobs aren't there to pay this debt off. Students have a right to be pissed.
Students dont have a right to be pissed. if you cant afford to go to that school with out big loans then guess what you dont go to that school. You go to community college to get rid of the stupid manditory classes at a much cheaper rate. If you cant afford school in So Cal you dont go you find a cheaper school in Iowa or Texas or where ever you can afford. They Choose that school they have to deal with it. If you cant afford it transfer. Your argument is no different then all the people that got home loans on houses they could never afford used screwy financing that even a 6th grader could see was not right like only paying the interest for the first 4 years and then cry when it got forclosed on and blame everyone else but your dumb butt for signing the contract.

just noted my Freudian spelling mishap....yes, the lies that only a college degree gets you wealthy in this lifetime...

In any case: as I said before, much to the dismay of Bill, no, I think the actions were bogus.

But as the Germans say it it was a huge load of crap to blame the cop. Schweinerei, no, Sauerei it is called. In chess you call it 'Bauernopfer' sacrifice the pawn.

He did not kick puppies, burn tents...he did not even deserve to be suspended.

Now, as to the person calling the shots....

And going back to the tuition prices...sheesh, people in Germany got all rowdy when they had to pay 500 Euro...

The officer was thrown under the bus due to a Boss that was afraid she was going to loose her job and needed a scape goat. She gave the order and when her left wing friends decided not to talk to her any more she back tracked and said "Oh Oh it wasnt me it was Lt Pike 123 Main St , anytown Ca. Get him Get him. Il even suspend him so we know hes home"

Students dont have a right to be pissed. if you cant afford to go to that school with out big loans then guess what you dont go to that school. You go to community college to get rid of the stupid manditory classes at a much cheaper rate. If you cant afford school in So Cal you dont go you find a cheaper school in Iowa or Texas or where ever you can afford. They Choose that school they have to deal with it. If you cant afford it transfer. Your argument is no different then all the people that got home loans on houses they could never afford used screwy financing that even a 6th grader could see was not right like only paying the interest for the first 4 years and then cry when it got forclosed on and blame everyone else but your dumb butt for signing the contract.

Their community college is going up too. Though I agree. But frankly, at the University level, $22,000 a year for PUBLIC UNIVERSITY really is obscene. I think the students really do have a legitimate beef here. And I ALSO think they've been going about opposing this hike in all the wrong ways.

Their community college is going up too. Though I agree. But frankly, at the University level, $22,000 a year for PUBLIC UNIVERSITY really is obscene. I think the students really do have a legitimate beef here. And I ALSO think they've been going about opposing this hike in all the wrong ways.

how long do you have to be instate to qualify for instate tuition rates?

(crap, at that rate, the out of state tuition rate in most states is a bargain!)

When people choose to enforce the rules for the Government, they put themselves in a position that can become extremely unpopular. When one considers the amount of anger out there directed toward the government and all of it's corrupt minions, it doesn't matter what the Officer did before. It's a risk of choosing that line of work.

Is it fair? You tell me. OWS, as a broader protest, stands against the policies and finance of fascism. By enforcing the Law for the State behind all of this stuff, you risk having the label applied.

I'll bet no one knows this better than imperialistic fascist Vietnam Veterans.

Thats where the move part comes in. If school is too expensive in Cal. refuse to pay and go to a school in another state. I just looked up the price at my local community college its $90 per credit hour. if enough people take their money elsewhere the price will go down to compete unless of course the Govt steps in and bails them out.

Thats where the move part comes in. If school is too expensive in Cal. refuse to pay and go to a school in another state. I just looked up the price at my local community college its $90 per credit hour. if enough people take their money elsewhere the price will go down to compete unless of course the Govt steps in and bails them out.

You actually make a good point. And I will piggyback that with a statement that college is a choice, not a divine right.

Please disregard my sarcastic comparison between good people being treated extremely poorly for their hard work and sacrifice.

As with anyone, good people are judged by their actions, not our preconceived notions. Be they protesters or otherwise.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DgV8hsGzPuX8%26feature%3Dfeedu&feature=feedu&v=gV8hsGzPuX8&gl=US[/video]

Sorry for the delay in posts (college takes precedence.over forums). So, this is probably the first video I have posted that makes me take a hard look at my basic standpoint when it comes to the use of pepper spray at UC Davis, and it comes from the creator of modern pepper spray. I have to mull over his statements before I give an oppinion.

Not true at all. You can see from the EXTENSIVE amount of videos (taken by the protesters, mind you) that nobody's mouth was forced open. The SOLE source of that claim was by Nathan Brown, who was not even in attendance at the protest during which the pepper spray incident took place.

Even if he were, he would still face the problem that the incident, in its entirety, from multiple angles, was on film.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DgV8hsGzPuX8%26feature%3Dfeedu&feature=feedu&v=gV8hsGzPuX8&gl=US[/video]

Sorry for the delay in posts (college takes precedence.over forums). So, this is probably the first video I have posted that makes me take a hard look at my basic standpoint when it comes to the use of pepper spray at UC Davis, and it comes from the creator of modern pepper spray. I have to mull over his statements before I give an oppinion.

I don't know why it didn't embed, so here is the second attempt at embedding:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back