Survival Pack

They are also good examples that even in the worst breakdowns in civil society in the typical western industrialized world, law and order do return, and the rest of the world does not crumble in the face of local anarchy.

And at least Hurricane Katrina was another good example of why it's better to prepare for evacuating from a hurricane than preparing for war when one happens along.
A canoe and a fireman’s axe would be a lot more useful than a finned rifle barrel.

They are also good examples that even in the worst breakdowns in civil society in the typical western industrialized world, law and order do return, and the rest of the world does not crumble in the face of local anarchy.

And at least Hurricane Katrina was another good example of why it's better to prepare for evacuating from a hurricane than preparing for war when one happens along.
People lost their minds during the 92 riots. I lived there at ground zero. It was hard to believe how crazy things got by the third night. I can imagine what 3-4 weeks of that would have brought.

Shotgun shells are not one of the four food groups.

Cell phone and a wallet full of credit cards. Done.
Generally speaking, I'm covered. I bought Amtrak and Greyhound credit to use, just for those reasons. But what if I'm 20 miles from the nearest station? What if my cellphone battery dies? What if this occurs when money happens to be tight? (I don't have credit cards). This is also why I have a packable tent, and wrench keys to turn on outdoor faucets.

People lost their minds during the 92 riots. I lived there at ground zero. It was hard to believe how crazy things got by the third night. I can imagine what 3-4 weeks of that would have brought.
But consider that was 32 years ago. So plotted on a curve, the frequency isn't that often, you know? But the fire department responds to house fires every day.

I'm not saying society can't break down. I'm saying it's unlikely. Preparing for it anyway is rational, but preparing for it and not preparing for more likely scenarios is irrational.

It's probably best to prepare for both. You really don't have that much notice after it's been announced that it's a sure thing that your area will be affected by a hurricane. And by then, the traffic jam consisting of everyone else trying to evacuate could put you in a more dangerous situation than if you had stayed home.

I should say, about 3 weeks ago, the U.K. government told everyone to buy a few tins of food etc to store for emergency. I barely paid any attention to it until my friend said to me, “Why are they suddenly suggesting that course of action? What do they know?” She is a bit of a conspiracy person.
We get it all the time because we have the weather.

Car keys and a full tank of gas.
Because most natural disasters are either predictable enough for you to get out of the way or do not result in the total and complete collapse of services even on a local level.
The book is fiction, but I've long thought that Lucifer's Hammer did a good job of portraying a post-apocalyptic world in a reasonable manner.
One second after is apparently the preppers fantasy to read.

Which I haven't.

Cell phone and a wallet full of credit cards. Done.
Depends where you're stranded. I'm more likely than most to get stranded 10+ miles from a town, with no cell signal. That's more likely to happen to me than most natural disasters, based on my own lifestyle/hobbies. So that's what I focus on with e-prep.

Here is the other thing I will mention. We get bushfires.

So I put together a set of overalls a hat a mask goggles gloves and boots.

And that's it. That was the whole bag pretty much.

So to set myself up for one thing. I pretty much had to abandon setting up for any other thing.

To create a bag that is just a catch all is really super hard.

And survival bag doctrine is generally catch all. With the rule of 3s or whatever. And so they break their own brain trying to magic enough stuff into a finite space.

My suggestion is do a road trip on a bus and see how you go. It is awkward enough to be a challenge. But fun enough to to be interesting.

(which I did recently. To take a cheap flight)

It's probably best to prepare for both. You really don't have that much notice after it's been announced that it's a sure thing that your area will be affected by a hurricane. And by then, the traffic jam consisting of everyone else trying to evacuate could put you in a more dangerous situation than if you had stayed home.
Actually, I used to live in NC. Three day notice is standard. Everybody has plenty of time to evacuate. There are always some who do not possess the means to leave and do not ask for available help, and those who refuse to leave. Everyone else can go. Laziness and complacency rule, though.

Tornadoes? Those are a bit less notice. Hurricanes, plenty of notice.

Depends where you're stranded. I'm more likely than most to get stranded 10+ miles from a town, with no cell signal. That's more likely to happen to me than most natural disasters, based on my own lifestyle/hobbies. So that's what I focus on with e-prep.
That's called the BMW tool kit.

Actually, I used to live in NC. Three day notice is standard. Everybody has plenty of time to evacuate. There are always some who do not possess the means to leave and do not ask for available help, and those who refuse to leave. Everyone else can go. Laziness and complacency rule, though.

That is also 3 days notice shoulder to shoulder with people panick buying milk sandwiches.

And there, I just dumped 3 boxes of wound care stuff on my vet....
Considering how stores operate these days, one should have several days worth of nonperishable foods on hand. Keep shelf life in mind. Have ready access to ID and financial sources. Cash is still accepted most places. Have your medications handy.
Yeah, European concerns, not unfounded.
On this note, I am lucky right now if I can find my clothes in the morning....

But consider that was 32 years ago. So plotted on a curve, the frequency isn't that often, you know? But the fire department responds to house fires every day.

I'm not saying society can't break down. I'm saying it's unlikely. Preparing for it anyway is rational, but preparing for it and not preparing for more likely scenarios is irrational.
It was about 30 years after the L.A. Watts riots, for many of the same reasons, so we are right on track considering the public reaction to George Floyd’s death, which was 30 years after the 92 riots, also for the same reasons. I’m not looking forward to the next one in my 80s. I don’t prep for civil disobedience, I prep for my own mistakes or accidents, or to be of service to others who don’t have what they need in an emergency.

Roll the dice on that one, or consult the ever knowing 8 ball of answers.

Here is the other thing I will mention. We get bushfires.

So I put together a set of overalls a hat a mask goggles gloves and boots.

And that's it. That was the whole bag pretty much.

So to set myself up for one thing. I pretty much had to abandon setting up for any other thing.

To create a bag that is just a catch all is really super hard.

And survival bag doctrine is generally catch all. With the rule of 3s or whatever. And so they break their own brain trying to magic enough stuff into a finite space.

My suggestion is do a road trip on a bus and see how you go. It is awkward enough to be a challenge. But fun enough to to be interesting.

(which I did recently. To take a cheap flight)
What a tragedy it would be to find a prepper dead from exhaustion due to inadequate cardio coupled with a bag they couldn’t ruck. I suggest you all play some Dayz online if you like apocalypse games. It isn’t what most would call fun…

I’m in rural far Northern California, wildfires, earthquake, and subsequent tsunami are my biggest threats. I live on a hill with no trees, hope in one hand…

Back