Survival Pack

I did get a new day pack for bush walking the other day. And it has some interesting features to consider if you were to look for a survival pack.

So it's a little basic 25l day pack. But it doesn't skimp on the back harness or securing straps.

Which means I can sinch it right down to a little blob on my back. And then take advantage of all the support it provides.

My guess if my walk went long. That would play a major factor.

And it has hiking pole straps. And same deal. If my walk goes long I believe poles (and strapping tape play a major factor)

Chafing, sorness and fatigue over the 5ks I normally do are a non issue. Over say 100ks it would probably stop me.

Attachments

• 20240713_090911.jpg
    20240713_090911.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240713_090859.jpg
    20240713_090859.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240713_090851.jpg
    20240713_090851.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Okay. What I WAS going to write was:

"I'm really perplexed and disappointed no one has come up with any solutions for the zombies yet... I mean that IS the topic right?"

But upon further reading it's nice to see it brought up. Okay great, we're now back on topic!

Go check out the Table Top RPG Outbreak Undead. They have a questionnaire online that one can answer and get stats if you want to play yourself. It is a survival game. And getting through the first few hours, to first few days is a lot harder than most realize.
Yet the ideas presented and one dreams up helps one have ideas and plans.

Good Luck

I would add a few things:

1. Cinnamon
2. A good single hand held blade. - I did see a good fire axe. Yet a good machete, bolo, insert favorite name here. If mentioned I missed it.
3. For medical, with people not trained in medical, find some of the older out of print Hiking and rock climbing books. They are small and on point with little fluff as they were meant to be light and easily carried.
4. For the serious fort builder, remember you stored vegetable oil cannot have been exposed to UV Light. It also should be buried below the frost line in the ground for best protection and storage conditions.
5. I do not like Gold. Pound for pound, Ammo would move quicker as it is useful now, now later. This is for those who are prepping beyond a couple of weeks, and cash is no longer being accepted and people realize that all that gold in the back has to be protected now as they cannot carry it anywhere.
6. Personally, a 3 day supply is what I think most people need on average.
7. I am an engineer by trade and career. I work failure point analysis all the time. usually with systems. These thought experiments have been something I have done since I was in single digits.
8. At 9 going on 10, I was asked why I was not worried about the Nuke Duck and Cover drills. I smiled and said everywhere in Michigan and within 100 miles of the great lakes is either ground zero or ground one. This means dead from the initial exposure or dead in less than 72 hours from radiation. If by chance one is in the center area and not near a manufacturing site ( None exist that I know of - just theory ) and one was underground and or in a closed library and protected by lots of paper books and cement walls and had air and water for those three days, and then broke free, somehow found a working vehicle and drove in the all the damage and got clear within the next 24 -36 hours still had a huge risk of dying from radiation. So not really a prepper. More of the guy that gives the Preppers nightmares, as when I slip down that slope to the bottom. :D

Not so sure.

Unless you destroy all civilization, everywhere. Gold has been associated with wealth everywhere since the late Neolithic or Chalcolithic period dating back more than 6,000 years. Sure. Your most immediate concern is getting food and shelter, but I'd bet the widespread craving for gold for wealth and status would continue. What people will do to get that stuff defies all logic. And as long as enough people desire it, it actually has value.

Other than "desireability", gold has a few other unique attributes that come to mind:

1. It resists oxidation and corrosion far better than other metals.

2. It's very ductile and malleable. You can draw it into the finest wire, or form it into all kinds of shapes either by hammering or casting.

3. It's a great electrical conductor, so combined with attributes 1 and 2 above it's valuable for use in electronics, etc.

4. It works well for implants ,etc. and is usually well tolerated by living tissue ...so again considering attributes 1 and 2 above, it is about the best thing for fillings, crowns, etc. in dental work. It's a bit old-fashioned and demands a high level of craftsmanship but it's still the "gold standard" if you can find a dentist who still has the skills. ;)

5. If all else fails, it is fairly soft and denser than lead, so you could use it for bullets if you re-load your own shells. If lead kills ordinary things, and silver is good for werewolves and possibly certain other supernaturals, just think how great gold bullets would be! And they would certainly cut down on unecessary shootings. Like whose gonna waste gold bullets? 🤔

So after the basics (food, tools, medical supplies, weapons, and toilet paper) gold sure beats most other currencies I can think of except...

View attachment 31373
lol.

Basic lightweight backpacking gear, water filter, multi tool, good sturdy gloves and broken in high quality boots and an extra set of sock and silkies. Spend your gold on stuff you can use, and that you will use regardless of end times strategy. I keep about 3 weeks worth of water and basic food that I rotate into my normal use. This is not for zombies or nukes, it’s for natural disasters. I have an extensive medical kit that would allow me to assist others in need. I keep a months worth of dog food at all times. I even keep a small basics kit in a portable snap top bin that I could give to someone who had nothing. I can hardly believe how ill prepared some of my friends are for even a 3 day event. Earthquake and resultant tsunami are the most likely event where I live. The hospital I work at is less than a flat mile to the ocean and a fairly large river runs less than a mile to the north. My house is about 150 ft above sea level on a hill under two miles from the beach. I would probably be okay at home so I would do my best to get home asap in such an event. I’m a 5 minute drive to work but I would have to cross the river at some point.

I like to hope my community would join together in a disaster rather than loot and kill each other. I already know what happens in L.A. which is why I moved 26 years ago. If the water ever shut off to the L.A. basin we could see the worst of human behavior fully exposed.

I did get a new day pack for bush walking the other day. And it has some interesting features to consider if you were to look for a survival pack.

So it's a little basic 25l day pack. But it doesn't skimp on the back harness or securing straps.

Which means I can sinch it right down to a little blob on my back. And then take advantage of all the support it provides.

My guess if my walk went long. That would play a major factor.

And it has hiking pole straps. And same deal. If my walk goes long I believe poles (and strapping tape play a major factor)

Chafing, sorness and fatigue over the 5ks I normally do are a non issue. Over say 100ks it would probably stop me.
We have a crazy fire season near me too. The bush fires you guys have are terrifying as any zombie apocalypse. To tell the truth I would rather face zombies.

I’ve been thinking about money/currency. If Putin ‘does the dirty’, paper money might become useless so I looked at buying a few 1g gold ingots (@ £95 each), the smallest amount available in the U.K. But it seems a bit of a large amount if I’m exchanging one for food or bottles of water etc. So what can I do? Cut them up some how? Turn them into pip/pit sized dimensions? Would it be obvious to a post-apocalyptic trader that they are gold? Should I calm down?
Buy a lifestraw. Cheap. Effective. Lightweight.

Just ordered one
By the way a large Sandwich bag will hold water for two or three days if you are careful.

Also in my hiking pack for rubbish but that and a folding shopping bag. And I can collect quite a bit of water.

Basic lightweight backpacking gear, water filter, multi tool, good sturdy gloves and broken in high quality boots and an extra set of sock and silkies. Spend your gold on stuff you can use, and that you will use regardless of end times strategy. I keep about 3 weeks worth of water and basic food that I rotate into my normal use. This is not for zombies or nukes, it’s for natural disasters. I have an extensive medical kit that would allow me to assist others in need. I keep a months worth of dog food at all times. I even keep a small basics kit in a portable snap top bin that I could give to someone who had nothing. I can hardly believe how ill prepared some of my friends are for even a 3 day event. Earthquake and resultant tsunami are the most likely event where I live. The hospital I work at is less than a flat mile to the ocean and a fairly large river runs less than a mile to the north. My house is about 150 ft above sea level on a hill under two miles from the beach. I would probably be okay at home so I would do my best to get home asap in such an event. I’m a 5 minute drive to work but I would have to cross the river at some point.
Hmm... I would personally like to see more zombie prep here but I applaud you on your other prep!

Hmm... I would personally like to see more zombie prep here but I applaud you on your other prep!
Ok. Here we go.

You basically can't build a structure that a dedicated person with enough time can't get in to.

Solution?

Portable ladder. And just camp on a roof.

Latest Discussions

Back