On Perspective, and Being Impressed

Impressive? Two words for you, Larry Tatum. Any chance I can get to see the guy move is a treat. He's also a really nice guy.

I am impressed by the little things.

I spent a LOT of time practising rolling, and I can honestly say I am not bad at it. When I saw the head sensei do a couple of rolls, I was impressed by the fact that he did not make a sound, and there wasn't a single moment where the movement was either dead or too fast.

I am also impressed by the 'ancient ones', the MAists who have been practising for 60 years, who in their old days are still progressing.

I will agree that the athleticism necessary for certain kinds of things is impressive, and I do respect that. But I think a lot of flash isn't even very athletic, and it is used to disguise the fact that there is really very little of substance going on underneath it. And a bigger problem is that I think for a lot of people doing the flash, they themselves don't even realize the difference.

Michael,

I do not disagree with your comments on substance. Or that some people do not even know what they do not know. ;)

What do you find impressive, in the martial arts, and how has this changed as you have become more experienced?

When I was younger, I was certainly more impressed with flash. As an inexperienced capoeirista, I was impressed by the acrobatics. Later, I came to recognize that some people develop their acrobatic ability but neglect their other skills that are more important in the art. They end up show-boating with the gymnastics, and don't know how to develop a good capoeira game.

Fancy weapon work was impressive to me. Flashy nunchaku, or twirling showy double Chinese dao. Now, I look for something that is a useful, killing technique for the weapon. Flashing it around just doesn't impress me anymore, and my change in attitude has come with my growing experience with the weapon. A simple weapon form with strong stances and basic but effective technique is far more impressive to me, than a flashy, fancy, acrobatic form that lacks realistic technique.

Superfast hand speed used to impress me. I have seen it in Wing Chung, and Kenpo. The first time I saw that speed carried out farther than 3 or 4 strikes, I thought, Holy Smokes, that guy can hit. Problem is, it seems that power drops off significantly with that kind of speed. Speed can be very effective with power, for a couple of shots. But if you keep it up beyond 3-4 shots, it seems to me that you've probably lost much of the effectiveness of the technique. With the long sequences of lighting strikes that I've seen on some youtube clips, I get the impression the person throwing the strikes himself must not have faith in their effectiveness, otherwise why would he feel he needed so many?

Now, I tend to look at stances and footwork, and power generation that is really effective. I ask myself, is that guy really grounded and stable? Could that one shot, all by itself, end a fight? Where does the power come from, and is it for real? I guess I tend to look more for something that is effective very quickly, with little effort and without being dragged out for too long.

Anyway, these are just some examples from my point of view.

So I ask, when you see martial arts demonstrated, what do you look for? What impresses you? What makes you take a second look, and say to yourself, "that guy/girl is really GOOD, and isn't just empty flash like so many of the rest"?

Initially the flash impressed me, but as time went on, I realized it wasn't as important as the more practical things. To comment on the things that you listed:

Weapons: I've worked with the nunchuks, sai, bo, sword and of course sticks and blades. The other weapons are fine to work with especially if someone is doing them for traditional purposes. Not really practical in todays world though. Of course, if you were to take a cane or broom handle, applications from the other weapons can be applied. The main weapons I focus on today are from my Arnis training...sticks and blade.

Foot and hand work: Yes, the fast, flashy stuff is cool to look at, but if there is no power behind it, well..... Personally, I'd rather not supplement speed for power. I'm not saying to go slow with our strikes, but make sure they have something behind them when we throw them. :) Footwork and a solid base are very important. Thats the foundation. Without those, nothing we throw will matter.

And last but certainly not least, one of my Martial Arts pet peeves...people who feel it necessary to impress you with creds. and rank. Its not the belt that impresses me, its what you can teach me, how well you know the material, how well you can translate it to others....thats what matters IMO. Hell if a lower rank does something that catches my eye, I have no problem with learning that new way. Thats why I like going to seminars. I get the chance to work with a group of people, many of which I either have never worked with before or dont work with on a regular basis.

I've never been impressed by flash, in fact some styles considered flashy just seem silly to me (but I won't call any names cuz people here practice those arts). As a kid what impressed me was breaking. I loved to watch breaking, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then it's your turn to break, and you do it, then you figure out it's nothing mystical, it's purely mechanical.[/quote

speak on it bro which styles do you consider flashy and just plain silly ?

I'm still really new at this, but I like watching balance and flexibility.. probably because I lack these in such huge amounts.

The flash is still bothersome. Seeing people treat a sword like a baton, or cut cucumbers and watermelons off of someone’s body with an iaito. Frustrating that they feel they have to do flash to sell their art. Down right dangerous for the 12 year old kids watching, thinking that all this is a great idea.

When we hold seminars and bring over a half dozen Japanese Sensei, ranging ages 55-80 I tend to be their chauffeur for the week, running them here and there. What amazes me is how a handful of Japanese seniors can out drink everyone I know, stay up till 2 or 3 in the morning and still be the first ones at practice for 8:00am!! I’m a few decades younger and by the second day, I’m done.

There’s nothing like seeing an 80 year old who can barely walk, suddenly lose 50 years off of his frame the second he steps out onto the floor to do an iaido demonstration, then flow through the movements perfectly, without flaw.

I'm impressed by all of it. I'm impressed with flash, speed, efectiveness, you name it, I'm impressed by it and humbled by it. I mean that. The more I practice the more humble I become. I'm really not that fast except perhaps for my straight punching, a carry over from Wing Chun. I never felt really confident with my straight punching, as it lacked power, I never felt like I had any power. If I hit a guy straight on the nose three times with straight punches it would likely hurt. Quite honestly I'm really not that good of a martial artist. I get by by "good genes" I'm muscular, and big, most people find there are easier targets than a six feet 240 pound man with wide shoulders, big arms, barrel chest, v shaped back, and big thighs and calves. Even my neck is thick. My main job is very physical and I'm a mesomorph, I'm good at deterring. But my martial arts skills need a lot of work, so it all impresses me.

I am impressed by the overall picture of the martial artist. When I watch someone I let my eyes settle on their center and take in what I see. I am impressed by the connection in the center of the body because if that's there then I know that they are in themselves. I am impressed by calm strength, by effective grounded stances, by efficiency of movement, by sharpness of techniques. I am impressed by dedication and focus. I am really really impressed by persistence, growth, working through both physical and psychological/emotional issues that the martial arts always brings up. (I most certainly am unimpressed - or the opposite of impressed if the psych/emot issues are not recognized or attended to.) I am impressed by people who can do the things I don't do well, may never do well, have agreed to not do well, am working on. I am impressed by respectful interaction. I am impressed by control. I am impressed by people who aren't trying to be impressive. I am impressed by my teachers for their demonstration of the above and their calm and sparse teaching methods.

Back