martial arts movies ?

opr1945

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess I am looking for confirmation "Are the fights in these movies choreographed?" Especially where the stat alone fights a dozen enemies. and one contact from the stars puts an enemy out of action. There seem to be a lot of short videos of fights between Japanese and Chinese individuals. Typically the title will say " Gang members attack old man not knowing he in a martial arts master!"

Ihave always assumed the fights were not actual real contestd but staged. Confirm?

I guess I am looking for confirmation "Are the fights in these movies choreographed?"
Yes.
Especially where the stat alone fights a dozen enemies.
Very carefully choreographed.
and one contact from the stars puts an enemy out of action.
Oh that’s Dim Mak.

There seem to be a lot of short videos of fights between Japanese and Chinese individuals. Typically the title will say " Gang members attack old man not knowing he in a martial arts master!"
Oh those are real. We all know martial arts confer near supernatural fighting abilities upon the practitioner…after all, that’s why we’re doing them and why are all government special agents and members of the armed are forces are highly ranked martial artists. J. Edgar Hoover was an Grandmaster Hanshi 4th Dan Shihan in Aikido, for example.
Ihave always assumed the fights were not actual real contestd but staged. Confirm?
It’s a grey area, opr1945. Bruce Lee’s fights were choreographed because he wasn’t very good, but the kid’s in Cobra Kai’s are not because since they’re incredible martial artists…they simply don’t need to be. Same with Caradine.

Nothing is scripted in any Chuck Norris movie/show. Not a single thing.

Yes.

Very carefully choreographed.

Oh that’s Dim Mak.

Oh those are real. We all know martial arts confer near supernatural fighting abilities upon the practitioner…after all, that’s why we’re doing them and why are all government special agents and members of the armed are forces are highly ranked martial artists. J. Edgar Hoover was an Grandmaster Hanshi 4th Dan Shihan in Aikido, for example.

It’s a grey area, opr1945. Bruce Lee’s fights were choreographed because he wasn’t very good, but the kid’s in Cobra Kai’s are not because since they’re incredible martial artists…they simply don’t need to be. Same with Caradine.
Looks like I am becoming Dean Martin to your Jerry Lewis! LOL.

apparently good thing I did not say I was becoming Bud Abbott to your Lou Costello.

Ok. I just realized that Gyakuto is in the UK. My reference to Martin and Lewis (Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis) might have been a obscure US reference only. They were a comedy team in the United States popular in the 1950s anf 1960s. Martin was the straight man and Lewis the comedian. Although, Lewis became very popular solo in France from what I read.

I have no idea if their movies shows made it to the UK or not. My reference was that Gyakuto responded to several of my posts with humorous replies. I was becoming the straight man to set up his humorous replies.

Whew. I apoligize. No offense intended. But, I enjoyed the replies. Thanks.

Ok. I just realized that Gyakuto is in the UK....
Which means he totally got your initial reference and threw back a bit of understated British humor that, as one might predict, went right over your American head. We have several Brits on this forum who seem to take special delight in befuddling us literal-minded Americans.

1722916086150.png

I'm told that to many Brits, we Americans are all a bit like Drax the Destroyer :D

Yeah, I thought he might get the reference, But, I will have to admit I am not very knowledge about UK entertainment, since 1776 that is. So I thought perhaps I should apoligize for my ignorance.

Ok. I just realized that Gyakuto is in the UK. My reference to Martin and Lewis (Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis) might have been a obscure US reference only.
Don’t worry, we know about the Brat pack, the Stooges, Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin etc etc. The U.K. is increasingly, the 51st state of the USA.
They were a comedy team in the United States popular in the 1950s anf 1960s. Martin was the straight man and Lewis the comedian.
If he was straight was Jerry Lewis gay? He did have a bit of a funny walk…🤔
Although, Lewis became very popular solo in France from what I read.
Well…the French 🙄
I have no idea if their movies shows made it to the UK or not.
Films, yes. I loved ‘Visit to a Small Planet’.
My reference was that Gyakuto responded to several of my posts with humorous replies. I was becoming the straight man to set up his humorous replies.
If you’re straight, does that make me gay? I do have a funny walk…🤔
Not at all! I enjoy all your posts!

Which means he totally got your initial reference and threw back a bit of understated British humor that, as one might predict, went right over your American head. We have several Brits on this forum who seem to take special delight in befuddling us literal-minded Americans.
I have no idea what you mean, geezer😑
View attachment 31429
I'm told that to many Brits, we Americans are all a bit like Drax the Destroyer :D
We do generally share a sense of humour (I love Frasier, Friends, Big Bang Theory, Richard Pryor etc). I think it’ sarcasm and irony that are a little more nuanced and trips people over who are very trusting and take things at face value! Some Brits don’t get sarcasm/irony either, so nothing unusual there, either.

Have a look at ‘Blackadder II’ for a master class in sarcasm from Rowan Atkinson

I guess I am looking for confirmation "Are the fights in these movies choreographed?" Especially where the stat alone fights a dozen enemies. and one contact from the stars puts an enemy out of action.
As Gyakuto already said, very much yes :) It's like a dance, but worth noticing that very often it's technically and physically quite demanding!

You can spot in most movies how the bad guys are kinda idling around doing nothing until it's their turn to be smashed. In reality a dozen enemies would come at you together and you have very little chance (perhaps a spinning spear, but you've got to be very good at spinning :)).

There seem to be a lot of short videos of fights between Japanese and Chinese individuals. Typically the title will say " Gang members attack old man not knowing he in a martial arts master!"

Famous Asian saying: if gang members attack old man, old man must have gun. :)

View attachment 31429
Exactly.... nothing goes over are head.... our reflexes are too fast

I read that David Carradine, Kwai Chang Caine in the TV series Kung Fu, had no martial atrs training when he took the role in the TV series. But that he was a professionally trained dancer and learned the choreographed moves in the show with his dance background. After taking the role he studied karate, kung fu, and tai chi.

Ok. I just realized that Gyakuto is in the UK. My reference to Martin and Lewis (Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis) might have been a obscure US reference only. They were a comedy team in the United States popular in the 1950s anf 1960s. Martin was the straight man and Lewis the comedian. Although, Lewis became very popular solo in France from what I read.

I have no idea if their movies shows made it to the UK or not. My reference was that Gyakuto responded to several of my posts with humorous replies. I was becoming the straight man to set up his humorous replies.

Funny enough, while I love martin and lewis, when I hear anyone mention martin and comedy my first thought is him and Sammy Davis jr.

Dean Martin was many things but 'straight' was not one of them. ;)

Back