martial arts movies ?

I read that David Carradine, Kwai Chang Caine in the TV series Kung Fu, had no martial atrs training when he took the role in the TV series. But that he was a professionally trained dancer and learned the choreographed moves in the show with his dance background. After taking the role he studied karate, kung fu, and tai chi.
Supposedly, Bruce Lee was originally looked at for the role of Caine but for whatever reason it didn't happen. In my opinion, I still think David Carradine did a great job. I always enjoyed the original Kung Fu.

Supposedly, Bruce Lee was originally looked at for the role of Caine but for whatever reason it didn't happen. In my opinion, I still think David Carradine did a great job. I always enjoyed the original Kung Fu.
I’ve heard a few putative reasons why Lee was overlooked for the part of Caine but the most plausible in my opinion was that Caine was written as a quiet man of humility and of few words. The casting people doubted Bruce Lee could play such a role: Lee was a ‘big personality’.

It could’ve been so much better and I feel it was a missed opportunity.

I’ve heard a few putative reasons why Lee was overlooked for the part of Caine but the most plausible in my opinion was that Caine was written as a quiet man of humility and of few words. The casting people doubted Bruce Lee could play such a role: Lee was a ‘big personality’.
That makes sense. From everything I've heard, Bruce Lee was a pretty outspoken guy and also apparently hotheaded. Either way, I have always enjoyed his movies (even if a little corny) He is definitely an inspiration and probably will be forever.

That makes sense. From everything I've heard, Bruce Lee was a pretty outspoken guy and also apparently hotheaded. Either way, I have always enjoyed his movies (even if a little corny) He is definitely an inspiration and probably will be forever.
wasn't to outspoken as Kato in the Green Hornet..

IMO, there just were not going to put a Chinese guy in the lead at that time. Not a whole lot of Asian leading men in Hollywood in 1972

Last edited:
I heard the series was actually Lee's idea and he saw himself in the lead but got screwed from creator credits and the part by the Hollywood establishment. Very un-Shaolin like behavior.

I heard the series was actually Lee's idea and he saw himself in the lead but got screwed from creator credits and the part by the Hollywood establishment. Very un-Shaolin like behavior.
That was actually what became SKY’s series ‘Warrior’.

At least he got to make Enter the Dragon which is most definitely his greatest. Imagine how many other fantastic martial arts movies he would have made had he lived.

At least he got to make Enter the Dragon which is most definitely his greatest. Imagine how many other fantastic martial arts movies he would have made had he lived.
I think Jackie Chan carried the torch on high after Lee’s death. Some of the fighting he choreographs is way beyond those of Lee’s in my opinion.

I think Jackie Chan carried the torch on high after Lee’s death. Some of the fighting he choreographs is way beyond those of Lee’s in my opinion.
Agree. Chan is a better actor and I would argue a better martial artist than Lee. Some of the acting/stunts Chan did as a younger man borders on impossible.
I forget the name of the movie, but there is a scene where he is kicking this guys butt all the while his mother is yelling at him not to fight. It is hilarious.

I agree and according to Jackie Chan, Lee helped his acting career out and encouraged him. They would have probably ended up making some big movies together. Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Bolo Yeung, Bob Wall and Chuck Norris. Things would have been different if Bruce survived!

Agree. Chan is a better actor and I would argue a better martial artist than Lee. Some of the acting/stunts Chan did as a younger man borders on impossible.
I forget the name of the movie, but there is a scene where he is kicking this guys butt all the while his mother is yelling at him not to fight. It is hilarious.
I can kind of agree with you there. Jackie Chan became great and a superstar over time. I think if Bruce Lee had continued to live, he would have also continued to develop. Not just physically, but also as an actor and martial artist. A lot of people say that Bruce would be beaten by modern day MMA fighters, but I think Bruce would have continued to learn and adapt. Who knows just how great he could have become.

Don’t worry, we know about the Brat pack, the Stooges, Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin etc etc. The U.K. is increasingly, the 51st state of the USA.

If he was straight was Jerry Lewis gay? He did have a bit of a funny walk…🤔

Well…the French 🙄

Films, yes. I loved ‘Visit to a Small Planet’.

If you’re straight, does that make me gay? I do have a funny walk…🤔

Not at all! I enjoy all your posts!
The Stooges is a great band! Love me some Iggy Pop.

I can kind of agree with you there. Jackie Chan became great and a superstar over time. I think if Bruce Lee had continued to live, he would have also continued to develop. Not just physically, but also as an actor and martial artist. A lot of people say that Bruce would be beaten by modern day MMA fighters, but I think Bruce would have continued to learn and adapt. Who knows just how great he could have become.
The problem with Lee’s films was they were far too serious and intense and that made them 2 dimensional and even a juvenile. Chan introduced a bit of levity to his acting and films but the fighting was still credible. Also chan can really act: just watch his film ‘The Foreigner‘ for the evidence.

The Stooges is a great band! Love me some Iggy Pop.
Funnily enough I just took delivery of this. The vocal on ‘Risky’ is by Iggy Pop!
D476D351-AC2E-4E4C-AD57-79174344C884.jpeg
A048AB38-505C-4848-A3BE-81E4A04AE124.jpeg

I guess I am looking for confirmation "Are the fights in these movies choreographed?"

The problem with Lee’s films was they were far too serious and intense and that made them 2 dimensional and even a juvenile.
Just like the American Ninja series. I actually like that, though. It gives the "so bad, it's good" appeal to it.

Latest Discussions

Back