It doesn't take 100% effort

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Controversial take.

It doesn't take superhuman effort to become a good martial artist. It doesn't take talent.

It takes a good learning environment with good instructors in a good art.

It takes the willingness to invest time and effort in learning. But it doesn't have to leave you gutted. That's a good way to decide it's too hard to keep doing it. It doesn't have to leave you injured from over straining yourself. That's another good route to quitting due to constant injuries.

What it takes is steady effort, but not superhuman effort. Give yourself permission to suck, but seek incremental improvement. Over time, you'll get better and faster and your skills will improve, but time and practice are the keys to success.

Be willing to let the process take as long as it takes. That period of time will be different for everyone.

I have seen so many highly-talented people start and make quick progress and then quit. I've seen many more who just basically have no natural talent whatsoever persevere and become excellent martial artists. They all seem to have the same attitude. They'll get there eventually; then they do.

Don't kill yourself. Just relax, keep training, and let it happen.

I kind of agree with everything in your post, Bill, not being able to disagree with any particular statement. But I think you makes it sound too easy here, leaving out the part you and I posted about in the new thread re: MA Resilience and Discipline. Put the 2 posts together and you've got the yin and the yang of it. :)

It's not that easy to be very good in MA. While it may not require 100% superhuman effort with masochistic abandonment, it takes a lot of effort (HOPEFULLY) to earn a well-deserved black belt and into the dans. How many drop out after just a year? There are many reasons, but one is that they don't have the drive/will/inner strength to tough it out. It's not like learning how to collect stamps. And like that pastime, it's not for everybody (I know, I tried it as a kid - boooring). I don't want to paint a dark, badass picture. If such a one can stick it out long enough, many can develop those attributes.
I've seen many more who just basically have no natural talent whatsoever persevere and become excellent martial artists.
Just like me. I was pretty fit when I started but would not say athletic or naturally talented at all. Just a normal, shy, somewhat lacking in confidence teen. Didn't know really anything about karate, had no particular goal, but for some inexplicable reason made myself a commitment to do it. (Maybe I just needed something to focus on besides not having any girlfriends.) "I gave myself no option to quit."

Thank you Bill. You are an inspiration. I have been considering quitting with the body pain lately. I am 69 years, old new to Karate (Starting in February). Practicing the roundhouse kicks are kicking my butt. When I started I could feel improvement every session. Now I feel I am regressing. I'm having pain along the right hip. sometimes it goes up the lower back.
I don't know where to go from here. I have enjoyed the progression of improving my skills and earning belts (all the way up to yellow lol).
Also I have no medical conditions or orthopedic problems that I know of.
Maybe I should get Xrays? My Doc wants wants me to take Cholesterol meds but I refuse. There's nothing else wrong with me but I'm too big. I'm 6ft1" 250lbs with a big gut.

I kind of agree with everything in your post, Bill, not being able to disagree with any particular statement. But I think you makes it sound too easy here, leaving out the part you and I posted about in the new thread re: MA Resilience and Discipline. Put the 2 posts together and you've got the yin and the yang of it. :)

It's not that easy to be very good in MA. While it may not require 100% superhuman effort with masochistic abandonment, it takes a lot of effort (HOPEFULLY) to earn a well-deserved black belt and into the dans. How many drop out after just a year? There are many reasons, but one is that they don't have the drive/will/inner strength to tough it out. It's not like learning how to collect stamps. And like that pastime, it's not for everybody (I know, I tried it as a kid - boooring). I don't want to paint a dark, badass picture. If such a one can stick it out long enough, many can develop those attributes.

Just like me. I was pretty fit when I started but would not say athletic or naturally talented at all. Just a normal, shy, somewhat lacking in confidence teen. Didn't know really anything about karate, had no particular goal, but for some inexplicable reason made myself a commitment to do it. (Maybe I just needed something to focus on besides not having any girlfriends.) "I gave myself no option to quit."
I'm doing fairly well in BJJ so far just by showing up and having fun. Nowhere near Dan level, though.

That's also pretty much what it took to get my 1st degree in HKD and my 3rd degree in TKD. I show up, have fun, memorize stuff, learn new ways of moving. And over time I got good and got rank.

Thank you Bill. You are an inspiration. I have been considering quitting with the body pain lately. I am 69 years, old new to Karate (Starting in February). Practicing the roundhouse kicks are kicking my butt. When I started I could feel improvement every session. Now I feel I am regressing. I'm having pain along the right hip. sometimes it goes up the lower back.
I don't know where to go from here. I have enjoyed the progression of improving my skills and earning belts (all the way up to yellow lol).
Also I have no medical conditions or orthopedic problems that I know of.
Maybe I should get Xrays? My Doc wants wants me to take Cholesterol meds but I refuse. There's nothing else wrong with me but I'm too big. I'm 6ft1" 250lbs with a big gut.
I'm 63 and going through some of the same issues you are. Feel like I'm fighting against the tide sometimes. I do kata and I know I've done it better. I practice kicks and stagger sometimes. I am embarrassed for myself. I don't get flack from anyone else, it's just me being hard on myself. I'm trying to just relax and do what I can.

If I may suggest taking the cholesterol meds (I presume statins)? I resisted my doctor a long time also. However, statins never made me feel poorly, and my cholesterol is now where it should be. And I keep reading about all the good that statins do for people besides just cholesterol. Anyway, I'm not preaching, just sharing my experience.

As to hip pain, I have it also at times. I stagger around and grumble about it. I also probably need to get it xrayed and maybe think about a hip replacement. As I'm told by some of my friends who've had it done, they were on their feet quickly and the pain is completely gone. I dunno. If it gets much worse, I guess it might be time.

You're not that big. I'm 5-10 and currently weigh 200. I was up to 288 at one point, but I've been losing weight for a long time; I stuck at 245 for years and then at 225 for more years, but now I'm finally sliding down further, with the help of the Mounjaro diabetes shot. When I was feeling my best in karate and competing and pretty much kicking ***, I was in my 50s and weighed 230 or so. Not bad for a tired old fat man.

Stick with it. Do what you can. One of my fellow students was still coming to dojo at 84; he finally stopped training when covid sidelined the dojo for a year and now he's finally done training; he sure had a good run. I'm guessing we've got some good years left.

As to roundhouse kicks, one of the tricks I learned (from my sensei) is to pivot on my base heel or ball of the foot (whichever works best for you) when I throw the kick. It takes a lot of stress off the knee and hip joints.

Not so much 'easy' as 'relaxed'. I take a "I'll get there eventually" approach. Kind of like how I approach life. I'm just not in a rush. I'll learn new things in time; I just let it kind of wash over me and eventually it sticks. I've had friends who fret over "I'm just not getting it!" I fail to 'get' new things all the time. That's OK. It'll happen when it happens.

I learned a trick to opening stuck jars once. I stop trying to muscle it open. I relax my body except for my hands, apply pressure slowly and don't let up. In 30 seconds, the jar opens, and my hands are not torn up and I'm not huffing and puffing. It's not the power, it's the pressure over time. Kind of works for everything.

Possibly teachers generally think it's better that students err on the side of giving too much than too little. I'm not so sure, that approach has led to a number of injuries.

Latest Discussions

Back