Last Poster #7

Well, thank you all very much, I'm glad I'm still welcome even if I'm not training properly. I'll stick around.
Folks are always welcome if they have an interest in the martial arts -- or even if they don't. We don't ask you to provide proof of your training, meet a minimum number of hours in the training hall... Just be friendly and play nice!

I did know. And I know a lot about Jack Lord and the Hawaii 5-0 franchise in general. It was my favorite show as a kid.

I’ve stood on that balcony (the Illikai Hotel and Luxury Suites) that Jack Lord stands on in the opening credits. I got my SAG card working as a tv stuntman on Oahu.

I remember the first episode of the original Hawaii 5-0 like it was yesterday. It was called Cocoon, a two part episode. It’s where I first learned of Gutta-percha - which allowed me to win a trivia contest for charity forty years later.

Yeah, I was a 5-0 freak. I even loved the remake of the series and wish it was on in reruns….even though it was crazy mad silly and sometimes seriously stupid. But I even loved that one.
My Sifu was a stuntman and worked on Magnum P.I. He got thrown down some stairs in one episode.

You know, a lot of those old shows hold pretty well. Magnum PI, A-Team, The Incredible Hulk… still quite enjoyable.
Wonder Woman was actually quite racy.
Yup, I like them, watch Adam 12 an Emergency once an awhile too. But I have a confession to make, I also watch them for the cars you see in the background

My Sifu was a stuntman and worked on Magnum P.I. He got thrown down some stairs in one episode.

Stunt work was fun. I wasn’t a “real” stuntman though, no jumping off of buildings or any of that crazy stuff. Those guys are incredible to me. I only got into stunt work by accident, by being at the right place at the right time.

Just before moving here the first time, I had helped out a woman in L.A that was one of my sensei’s black belts. She told me to call her husband when I got to Hawaii, he was a stunt coordinator. I met him for breakfast. He asked “Hey, you want to work as a stuntman?”

I said, “Hell, no.”

He said, “let me rephrase that, do want to make a whole bunch of money doing the same things you do in the dojo?”

I said “hell yes.”

I felt guilty looking at my first paycheck, I thought it was a mistake and went to the coordinator. That’s when I learned why making movies and tv shows are so expensive. Union rates are huge.

I liked Hawaii 5-0 with Jack Lord. I was not as big a fan of the new version.

I remember seeing the original as a kid, and a couple years ago it was on a lical station. I watched it every chance I got. Then the took it off.

But then i like a lot of the older shows better than the new versions

I even remember Jack Lord as Stony Burke. And as Felix Leiter in early James Bond movies.

The remake of 5-0 was nuts. In one episode they landed a 747 on Kalakawa Avenue in Waikiki. In another a nuke was detonated a mile offshore and didn’t even ripple the water.
But my favorite was an attack drone that must have been carrying five tons off ammunition. I think it became so silly that fans were expecting silly so we could make fun of silliness in general.

I even remember Jack Lord as Stony Burke. And as Felix Leiter in early James Bond movies.

The remake of 5-0 was nuts. In one episode they landed a 747 on Kalakawa Avenue in Waikiki. In another a nuke was detonated a mile offshore and didn’t even ripple the water.
But my favorite was an attack drone that must have been carrying five tons off ammunition. I think it became so silly that fans were expecting silly so we could make fun of silliness in general.
I know Felix Leiter, but not Stony Burke.

I tried to watch the new one several times and I just can't get into it....but give me a rerun of the original, I'll be there watching it

I know Felix Leiter, but not Stony Burke.

I tried to watch the new one several times and I just can't get into it....but give me a rerun of the original, I'll be there watching it

Stony Burke was a show about a rodeo rider. It was only on for a year.

The old Hawaii 5-0 repeats are on tv here….kind of. There’s ONE episode on every ten or twelve weeks. (Go figure)

TV is really messed up out here. It’s like Mayberry and Goober’s the Mayor.

Stony Burke was a show about a rodeo rider. It was only on for a year.

The old Hawaii 5-0 repeats are on tv here….kind of. There’s ONE episode on every ten or twelve weeks. (Go figure)

TV is really messed up out here. It’s like Mayberry and Goober’s the Mayor.
I just can't picture Jack Lord as a cowboy....

The old reruns were on here for years... 5 days a week, as was Walker Texas Ranger.... that was my TV to watch.... then they took them off..... but they put on the old Magnum PI... so more to watch.... then they took that off..... and replaced it with buffy the vampire slayer.... which I don't watch..... I think they were just looking for something I wouldn't watch...they found it...and DANG IT if Buffy is still not on

Stunt work was fun. I wasn’t a “real” stuntman though, no jumping off of buildings or any of that crazy stuff. Those guys are incredible to me. I only got into stunt work by accident, by being at the right place at the right time.

Just before moving here the first time, I had helped out a woman in L.A that was one of my sensei’s black belts. She told me to call her husband when I got to Hawaii, he was a stunt coordinator. I met him for breakfast. He asked “Hey, you want to work as a stuntman?”

I said, “Hell, no.”

He said, “let me rephrase that, do want to make a whole bunch of money doing the same things you do in the dojo?”

I said “hell yes.”

I felt guilty looking at my first paycheck, I thought it was a mistake and went to the coordinator. That’s when I learned why making movies and tv shows are so expensive. Union rates are huge.
The episode was “ the ugliest dog in Hawaii”

Back