Last Poster #7

I just read that Joe Rogan punched Jake Paul in the chest and put him in the hospital.

Does anybody know if that’s true?

(I hope, I hope, I hope.)

I just read that Joe Rogan punched Jake Paul in the chest and put him in the hospital.

Does anybody know if that’s true?

(I hope, I hope, I hope.)
I'm not seeing anything like that... What I saw was Rogan defending Paul's boxing skills, and that they had moved the fight from July due to medical issues from the Tyson camp -- but it's on for 11/15.

Not sure that I really want to see Tyson fight him... I just don't see a win for either of them, whatever the outcome. He beats him, and it's "Jake Paul was a YouTuber, not a real fighter... of course he lost." Paul beats Tyson, and Tyson gets a loss and it's "Tyson's OLD! Of course he lost... why look, they had to reschedule for a medical reason..."

I'd just really rather not see this fight happen.

Looks like Beijing (Yang 24), good place to start

Nope, just go with it. Would like to hear how it goes
Ended up not going last week..my wife and I were both feeling unusually tired, and I had a headache, so we decided to stay home for a couple days rather than go out.

Just got back from the first class about an hour ago. Was tai chi first, followed by shaolin. Per the instructor, they do it that way to try to encourage people to attend the tai chi as he believes that you need to train an internal art if you're going to be doing an external art.

The tai chi was cool. Definitely different than what I'm used to, we went over very basic application but it was mostly just practicing the first few moves and form correcting. Once a month they do a seminar instead of normal class where they delve into application (this month it's next tuesday and will be focusing on sweeps and defending takedowns with taichi movements).

He said that it's not yang 24, it's a different 24 that takes the yang one and combines chen and wu movements. I didn't ask him why - I don't want to sound like I'm doubting their system on the first day, and it'd go over my head anyway.

The shaolin was surprisingly similar to my original style...which was shaolin kempo, except the head instructor also learned an animal style and added that in...maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. 10x easier to me than the tai chi.

All in all, I enjoyed it, and plan to sign up/continue going.

Ended up not going last week..my wife and I were both feeling unusually tired, and I had a headache, so we decided to stay home for a couple days rather than go out.

Just got back from the first class about an hour ago. Was tai chi first, followed by shaolin. Per the instructor, they do it that way to try to encourage people to attend the tai chi as he believes that you need to train an internal art if you're going to be doing an external art.

The tai chi was cool. Definitely different than what I'm used to, we went over very basic application but it was mostly just practicing the first few moves and form correcting. Once a month they do a seminar instead of normal class where they delve into application (this month it's next tuesday and will be focusing on sweeps and defending takedowns with taichi movements).

He said that it's not yang 24, it's a different 24 that takes the yang one and combines chen and wu movements. I didn't ask him why - I don't want to sound like I'm doubting their system on the first day, and it'd go over my head anyway.

The shaolin was surprisingly similar to my original style...which was shaolin kempo, except the head instructor also learned an animal style and added that in...maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. 10x easier to me than the tai chi.

All in all, I enjoyed it, and plan to sign up/continue going.
Sounds good, glad it went well

The style I do now, which I came up with looks a lot like Yang 24, with Traditional Yang, and bit of Chen, Wu and Sun....

I can ask you then - what's the purpose behind combining other styles of taichi together?
don't know what others motivation was. Nime was I could no longer get myself to do the long form so I went back and started working with 24 form. I felt 24 form was lacking a few things so I added back in from the traditional form. Then felt that snake creeps down was breaking the flow and the energy (and frankly I think it s useless) so I removed it. One of the things I focus on in Taijiquan id application, I felt there was something from Wu style, a takedown sweep, that was sorely missing so I added that. But the removal of Snake creeps down needed something to link and more traditional Yang cme into play then it seemed to naturally flow from that to some postures that were more a combination of Chen and Sun. It ended up being 60 postures... working on a 13 postures form now

The Chinese government produced 48 form which is a combination of multiple taijiquan styles, but that is used as a compitition form. It is a form I never learned so I have no experience with it

I love pinching kata, personally. I stole tae guek yuk jang so I could practise roundhouse kicks in a kata. I suppose I could have modified one of the taikyoku series instead, but we don't train that in class either. The one I want to get my grubby mitts on is referred to as 'springing legs'

I have gout. I'm in a colossal amount of pain and can barely walk. So today is chins day. Gonna do a rep every minute on the minute until I can't.
I get the feeling you overdo the exercise. Have a makiwara? Break your hand and the makiwara. Get a new makiwara? Break it again. Annoyed at yourself for being hungover? Run 3 miles in the ran while nursing a hangover. In huge pain and can barely walk? Do chin ups until you cant.

I'm all for exercise, but you're going to seriously damage your body this way, and eventually not be able to exercise at all.

Retirement seminars finished, lots of information.....but at one point...they had a much needed discussion about survivor benefits and dependents when you die.... and my thought during this was "I worked all these years just to retire just to die"...... then they moved on to other things and retirement got interesting again.....

Retirement seminars finished, lots of information.....but at one point...they had a much needed discussion about survivor benefits and dependents when you die.... and my thought during this was "I worked all these years just to retire just to die"...... then they moved on to other things and retirement got interesting again.....
‘Life is hard and then you die.’ 🤷🏾

Latest Discussions

Back