Last Poster #7

Fortunately my employee doesn’t really need the brail. He knows where he’s going. But I agree that it’s kind of crappy. It’s analogous to tattoo artists doing kanji that’s mistranslated.
I don't fault the tattoo artist, as long as they are simply doing what someone gave them. And there's a level of caveat emptor in getting a tattoo without making sure you know what it REALLY means -- whether it's kanji or simply some sort of symbol.

But the sign maker who put bogus braille on the signs? Nope -- that's all on him. That's a detail that's potentially life and death.

I'm not going in depth; you can find that in plenty of places on the web. But it has been WELL established that very little of what Dux has claimed is even tangental to the truth.
How good do you think Frank Dux really was? It seems like most of what he claimed he did was actually discovered to be false. Supposedly he even claimed that he served in Vietnam but there was no record of his actual military service.

How good do you think Frank Dux really was? It seems like most of what he claimed he did was actually discovered to be false. Supposedly he even claimed that he served in Vietnam but there was no record of his actual military service.
Folks -- I deliberately kept my comment very brief. If we go too far down the Dux road, we'll end up in fraudbusting land, and that's not a good place. For the moment, let me simply refer you to THIS THREAD, among others.

I love that movie too, corny yes, but totally 80's. It is also a good story even if it was made up. I'm sure there were plenty of underground fights going on. To the same extend as the Kumite in Bloodsport...well, that might be a little far-fetched but it's a movie.
I’m building a ‘profile’ of your theatrical preferences. If you like it, I should avoid it 😉

Also for some reason my Xbox logged me out and it will not let me sign back in. I've had
I’m building a ‘profile’ of your theatrical preferences. If you like it, I should avoid it 😉
Man, I have probably 5 or 6 movies in my favorites that are the same quality. Now I understand why people don't watch movies with me much. The stuff I like they do not. Sometimes I intentionally look for movies that might be questionable quality. Sometimes I find gems, sometimes not. Like I watched basically a rip off of the death wish movie the other night, it was simply titled "vigilante" the storyline was basically the same. It was made in 84 I think. Sometimes I see something and the trailer or reviews don't do it justice, and I find a gem. But most of the time I find stuff even I do not like.

Also for some reason my Xbox logged me out and it will not let me sign back in. I've had

Man, I have probably 5 or 6 movies in my favorites that are the same quality. Now I understand why people don't watch movies with me much. The stuff I like they do not. Sometimes I intentionally look for movies that might be questionable quality. Sometimes I find gems, sometimes not. Like I watched basically a rip off of the death wish movie the other night, it was simply titled "vigilante" the storyline was basically the same. It was made in 84 I think. Sometimes I see something and the trailer or reviews don't do it justice, and I find a gem. But most of the time I find stuff even I do not like.
I am fan of the Death Wish movies. Charles Bronson was the perfect pick for them. I've never seen a knock off version of them, but I would be up to watch it. Anything 80's action or martial arts is usually up my alley.

I am fan of the Death Wish movies. Charles Bronson was the perfect pick for them. I've never seen a knock off version of them, but I would be up to watch it. Anything 80's action or martial arts is usually up my alley.
Have you saw the remake with Bruce Willis? I thought it was pretty good. The other movie I was talking about came out in 84 I think, it was called "vigilante" you can stream it for free on the Pluto TV app. In some people's opinions all the old kung fu movies would be seen as crap because of the low budgets and poor equipment. But to me some 70s kung fu flicks are gold. What they lacked in other areas they made up for in story and talent. I don't watch many 70s kung fu anymore, 80s and early 90s is my sweet spot. I feel at that point in time they had good equipment, good stories, good talent etc. Alot of new stuff is crap to me because it lacks originality. Yeah they have good actors, great equipment and production, but the stories are all Rip offs of older stuff. I wish Hollywood today had the same originality as it did back then.

American Ninja! I need to rewatch that to see if it's still watchable... ▶️ American Ninja - Official Trailer

Have you saw the remake with Bruce Willis? I thought it was pretty good. The other movie I was talking about came out in 84 I think, it was called "vigilante" you can stream it for free on the Pluto TV app. In some people's opinions all the old kung fu movies would be seen as crap because of the low budgets and poor equipment. But to me some 70s kung fu flicks are gold. What they lacked in other areas they made up for in story and talent. I don't watch many 70s kung fu anymore, 80s and early 90s is my sweet spot. I feel at that point in time they had good equipment, good stories, good talent etc. Alot of new stuff is crap to me because it lacks originality. Yeah they have good actors, great equipment and production, but the stories are all Rip offs of older stuff. I wish Hollywood today had the same originality as it did back then.
I've never actually watched the Bruce Willis remake. Would you recommend it to a fan of the original? I will have to look up vigilante and watch it this weekend. I agree, there is a bit of charm to the old classic movies. The stories were good, and they weren't rehashed like everything else these days. We definitely need some new stories instead of just remaking everything and using the same old material.

I think it was Stephen Fry who said that Americans want to be the guy who sees a guy at a party singing folk songs and smashes his guitar (as in Animal House). The brits would want to be the folk singer. But I would shocked if shows like Always Sunny in Philadelphia aren't (or wouldn't be) really popular in the UK. It has all of the cynicism and cringe humor of shows like the Office and then some.

Master of the flying guillotine was my childhood favorite for Kung fu theater on Sundays KTLA ch5 in Los Angeles area. Nowadays I would say Fist of Legend, or Iron Monkey.
Is fist of legend the one with jet li ? I know they did a remake of one of bruce Lee's movies and I think the name you said was what it was called. I mix up all the chen zhen movies for some reason.

I've never actually watched the Bruce Willis remake. Would you recommend it to a fan of the original? I will have to look up vigilante and watch it this weekend. I agree, there is a bit of charm to the old classic movies. The stories were good, and they weren't rehashed like everything else these days. We definitely need some new stories instead of just remaking everything and using the same old material.
I'd say it's worth a watch, but it's a modernized version. A bit different. But similar overall story with a modern touch.

20240817_074707.jpg

Well... there is a possibility, when I retire I may be spending about 3 month a year in Montreal.....not my most favorite place, but it appears to be one of Mrs Xue's favorite places.... now Quebec Province is once again in this big push to make everything French..... English speaking companies and business be damned.... so they move out.... the tried it before, realized why they shouldn't do that...jobs kind of dwindled......well I don't speak much French.... don't really want to learn...but I may have to.... ever hear a native Chinese, Mandarin speaker (Mrs Xue), try and speak French..... it ain't pretty....so it falls to me.... but I made a decision today... as to what I will do for the 3 months I am there....should it come to that.... hopefully I will be able to stay in Maine...but who know.....

But if I have to learn French I plan on sitting on my front porch, shaking my cane and yelling....

Hé vous les enfants français, sortez de ma pelouse!!!!
Translation: Hey you French kids, get off my lawn

Latest Discussions

Back