Last Poster #7

Movie is coming out in December called Boys in the Boat. It’s a cool story about a guy who was on a gold medal rowing team in the 1936 Olympics. Movies been in the works for a long time and I’m glad it finally got made. The main character of the story was a friend’s dad. Worked with him for over a decade and heard all the stories about his dad for years.
Someone else got let go today from my job. A support person that they asked to do implementation work/dev work in addition to his support work, because the department is understaffed (due to their previous layoffs/firings). He was doing it, even came in last saturday because of the extra work, but let them know he wasn't happy his workload got tripled. Apparently that was enough to fire him..and now they have no one on the support team for that product. Someone new is starting on monday, with no one to train him. Doesn't seem like the smartest solution to their staffing shortages.

And the guy who was accepting that he had to do triple work, is also here on a work visa. So he's got 60 days to figure out his next plan of action.
sounds like some questionable leadership at your company. That sucks. Hope he lands something soon.

Someone else got let go today from my job. A support person that they asked to do implementation work/dev work in addition to his support work, because the department is understaffed (due to their previous layoffs/firings). He was doing it, even came in last saturday because of the extra work, but let them know he wasn't happy his workload got tripled. Apparently that was enough to fire him..and now they have no one on the support team for that product. Someone new is starting on monday, with no one to train him. Doesn't seem like the smartest solution to their staffing shortages.

And the guy who was accepting that he had to do triple work, is also here on a work visa. So he's got 60 days to figure out his next plan of action.
That's rough, and not the first time I have heard of IT office upper management doing stupid things with the solution of "Do more with less"

sounds like some questionable leadership at your company. That sucks. Hope he lands something soon.
Very big understatement. Not sure if it's better or worse than them hiring someone else, that person relocating from ~ 9 hour drive away, and firing him the first week because he looked lost in a very technical presentation of proprietary software, which normally takes a couple months to fully understand.

Very big understatement. Not sure if it's better or worse than them hiring someone else, that person relocating from ~ 9 hour drive away, and firing him the first week because he looked lost in a very technical presentation of proprietary software, which normally takes a couple months to fully understand.
I hope you’re on the hunt, too. Employee like that, it’s just a matter of time before you’re on the block.

IMG_2996.jpeg

That's rough, and not the first time I have heard of IT office upper management doing stupid things with the solution of "Do more with less"
I suppose those are the people who think there is nothing to computing since they manage Windows quite well.

I hope you’re on the hunt, too. Employee like that, it’s just a matter of time before you’re on the block.

View attachment 30215
I was on the hunt, got a few job offers that didn't seem much better. Decided that if/when they choose to fire me, I'm going to take a couple months off, work on some side projects that I have going and renew/get some other certs companies are looking for, but I'm too tired from this job to actually work for.

I was on the hunt, got a few job offers that didn't seem much better. Decided that if/when they choose to fire me, I'm going to take a couple months off, work on some side projects that I have going and renew/get some other certs companies are looking for, but I'm too tired from this job to actually work for.
I don't know what your actual qualifications are, but 2210s are always in demand in the federal government. 2210 runs the gamut from cyber security to systems administration.

The series runs at pretty much all grade levels (GS scale), and not all of the vacancies are open to the general public. But there are some benefits to working for the Fed (and some downsides, too). All that said, a lot of federal agencies are hiring at all times, and hiring will generally heat up even more after the federal budget is passed and they get authority to hire for FY24 (usually after March).

Do with this as you will. Just a suggestion. :)

I don't know what your actual qualifications are, but 2210s are always in demand in the federal government. 2210 runs the gamut from cyber security to systems administration.

The series runs at pretty much all grade levels (GS scale), and not all of the vacancies are open to the general public. But there are some benefits to working for the Fed (and some downsides, too). All that said, a lot of federal agencies are hiring at all times, and hiring will generally heat up even more after the federal budget is passed and they get authority to hire for FY24 (usually after March).

Do with this as you will. Just a suggestion. :)
Thanks, will definitely look into it.

Spent 3 days in my yard and driveway cleaning leaves from the yard, mulch beds and driveway. Finished it all today at 12:30..... by 3:30... you can't tell I did a thing, even looks worse than it did before I started.... thank you fall in real upstate NY

Spent 3 days in my yard and driveway cleaning leaves from the yard, mulch beds and driveway. Finished it all today at 12:30..... by 3:30... you can't tell I did a thing, even looks worse than it did before I started.... thank you fall in real upstate NY
We are about to get our first hard frost. The same will happen here.

View attachment 30215
While I'm talking about it, another two quick gems. This is not the totality of issues, just what popped into my head this morning.

Since I started a year ago, 6 other people have started either with me or after me (in my department). Of those 6, 1 has quit, 5 have been fired/laid off/let go.

Of the 3 people (including myself) I've talked to about it in my department, all of us here between 1 and 2 years, none of us have gotten raises. No raise for being here for a year, each of us have been 'promoted' (and 2 of us doing exactly 3 people's works due to the aforementioned former employees), all told we would get raises but they only do it in June and January. So we can only discuss it the week before that month, otherwise they're not listening to raise talk/requests. The one who was told in June got backtracked, and they informed him that as a company, they don't believe in raises as a standard thing, instead they are only a reward for exceptionalism. So it's pretty likely that there will be no raises in the near or distant futures for any of us so long as we stay here.

Made a major mistake yesterday.... I watched a travel show from Hong Kong, during Chinese New Years.... they showed all sort of great food..... THAT I CAN'T HAVE!!!!! DANG IT!!!! Gastritis is stopping me from eating this type of stuff..... :(

Did remind me of the old days when I use to always spend Chinese New Year at a friends house, he was from Guangzhou. His mother-in-law and wife made all sorts of great food....

Mrs Xue is not so much into cooking for Chinese New Year...but if my stomach is better, and I can eat stuff... I think I will see if I convince her to make Dumplings (jiaozi) and Baozi :)

@Monkey Turned Wolf
Not sure where you are located but the folks I continually complain about are hiring IT folks in NYC
If interested PM me. I am kind of stuck with state rules and regs as to what I can post openly
If I hadn't moved, I would. My wife and I aren't planning on heading back to NY anytime soon though. I appreciate it.

Been warm here the last 4 days (70s), but from today on we are in the 40s
High of 31F today. It's been snowing since last night. There are places with 10-12" of snow. Our Pyrenees are happy...

While I'm talking about it, another two quick gems. This is not the totality of issues, just what popped into my head this morning.

Since I started a year ago, 6 other people have started either with me or after me (in my department). Of those 6, 1 has quit, 5 have been fired/laid off/let go.

Of the 3 people (including myself) I've talked to about it in my department, all of us here between 1 and 2 years, none of us have gotten raises. No raise for being here for a year, each of us have been 'promoted' (and 2 of us doing exactly 3 people's works due to the aforementioned former employees), all told we would get raises but they only do it in June and January. So we can only discuss it the week before that month, otherwise they're not listening to raise talk/requests. The one who was told in June got backtracked, and they informed him that as a company, they don't believe in raises as a standard thing, instead they are only a reward for exceptionalism. So it's pretty likely that there will be no raises in the near or distant futures for any of us so long as we stay here.
I hear you...

Over the last couple of years, I've been figuratively kicked in the teeth time and time again. Moved to a new assignment, twice now. Last one put me on midnights -- and with no regular assistant supervisor to help me. Put in a new pay plan, based on time in service... and bumped me back 6 year/steps because it would have blown the plan up to put me in at my years of service. Which put me barely ahead of people who started WELL after me. Currently in a promotional process that will shock me if the outcome is anything other than one of two "favored children." Much senior in time to me, and at least on much below in performance.

Pulling the pin gets more and more attractive... if only I could get by on about half pay.

Latest Discussions

Back