Its All There.

This topic again? Mike: you either have too much time on your hands, a medium term memory problem, or else you just like to stir things up!

There is a lot in Kenpo. More than most people know. More than I know. But is it all there? No. It's not. You will find the missing-or-hard-to-discover pieces faster by trying an art that focuses on those. Try an FMA for knives, Kendo for swords, Judo or wrestling for throws, and sub-grappling or BJJ for submissions, Krav Maga for gun disarms.

And, as far as the Tatum tip of the week on grappling, I am sorry, but that is an example of where the best expert in Kenpo clearly displays that grappling knowledge is not in Kenpo. This tip of the week was laughingstock in the grappling community for several weeks when it came out.

This topic again? Mike: you either have too much time on your hands, a medium term memory problem, or else you just like to stir things up!

OFK..whats up man! Its been a while! How've you been? As for the question...yeah, I know. I guess you could say its a little of all three! LOL! :) Gee, just imagine how this thread would be if some others were still here!

Mike

Thank you all for the great replies. :)

I asked this question because many times, the idea of crosstraining seems to be frowned upon in many Kenpo circles. I'll admit, that there are many areas that are covered, but I feel that there many be times when expanding upon those areas, in order to get a more in-depth look, may be necessary.

My school that I go to, is very open to the idea of cross training other arts. A number of the instructors are Black Belts in Arnis, therefore, they can give more feedback to the weapon techniques. Another trains in BJJ and many of those drills have been added in or are worked regularly.

I'm not suggesting that someone take up another art, but at the least, if you cross reference those other arts, some valuable info. may be discovered.

Mike

That's why it is a benefit. No one in your Kenpo class will shoot, and grapple like a BJJ blackbelt, or fight with weapons like a FMA artist. That experience is what you need to try your Kenpo out against. It's real feedback. If it's good and works against that, it's good!

When in doubt, cross-train. I've been one of those dirty mixers who goes out to different systems that specialize. It has not only expanded my horizons in different diemnsions, but has also made my kenpo better on different fronts.

Lots of stuff in kenpo is short-hand versions of moves from other systems; moves Mr. Parker -- and even Mr. Chow -- was exposed to early in his/thier martial careers. Palm-heel take down is a short-hand version of Osoto throw. Want a really wicked palm-heel takedown? Drill the osoto with judoka for a year.

The problem with learning short-hand first is that one misses many of the vital mechanical distinctions they might have picked up, internalized, and economized had they started with the long-hand version first.

Kenpo is a specialized response methodology to a constrained stylistic range of attacks (i.e., it does not address directly the best way to escape a fully engulfed mata leon, block a shoot, or cover against a boxer on the inside). It can be broadened to encompass more, but most kenpoists do such a poor job with the specialized focus to begin with, that they have no business broadening applications. Better off to put some time into alternative, complementary specializations.

Regards,

Dave

Back