isshin ryu vs kenpo

aztec85283

White Belt
Reaction score
Just curious since I am interested in karate. Does anyone here know the differences between kenpo and Isshin ryu karate? Are they totally different or are there some similarities between the two styles?
Also, if you happened to obtain a black belt in kenpo and then attempt a black belt in isshin ryu, would you be able to blend the two styles together in a way that is practical? The reason I am asking about these two styles of karate is because they are both hard styles of karate geared towards practical self defense. Any help woud be appreciated. Thank you.

Having studied with masters from isshinryu and American kenpo I can say there is no problem in learning both, although I suggest getting a black belt in one and then worry about the other 6 or 7 years later. They are both direct and aggressive styles and have other similarities that can be blended in combat application. While they can be considered "hard" styles, they are softer than some other styles out there, and depend on speedy tactical combinations rather than brute force. Both are well suited for close in fighting. Isshinryu will likely have a more traditional approach. Visit your local schools, pick one, train, get proficient and knowledgeable, then figure out if you even need to learn another style.

Just curious since I am interested in karate. Does anyone here know the differences between kenpo and Isshin ryu karate? Are they totally different or are there some similarities between the two styles?
Also, if you happened to obtain a black belt in kenpo and then attempt a black belt in isshin ryu, would you be able to blend the two styles together in a way that is practical? The reason I am asking about these two styles of karate is because they are both hard styles of karate geared towards practical self defense. Any help woud be appreciated. Thank you.
I don’t know anything about isshin-ryu, so I cannot make comparisons. However, I will point out that the term kenpo/kempo is a pretty generic term that is a Japanese pronunciation for a Chinese term that essentially means “fighting method”, and this term is attached to numerous systems, some of which are closely related and others are not. So your experience could vary quite a bit, depending on which kenpo method is taught, and even which specific lineage within an otherwise larger kenpo method.

In the US, the term is often understood to mean the Hawaiian lineages that trace through William Chow in Honolulu, some of which then trace through Ed Parker (often going by the name “American Kenpo”) on the mainland, and others that do not trace through Mr. Parker. These Hawaiian kenpo systems are a large body of related systems but have grown and developed in their own ways, and are far from identical in their practice and training methods and curriculum.

A further example would be Shorinji Kempo, a Japanese method supposedly based on Shaolin Temple methods, and in no way connected to the Hawaiian kenpo systems.

So I do not believe a singular comparison can be made without knowing something of the specific kenpo that is being taught in your neck of the woods.

Major visual differences are that Isshinryu uses a vertical fist rather than the torquing punch often seen in other styles of karate. Isshinryu uses a snapping kick which is typically below the waist rather than high kicks. Those are the most obvious differences visually. I do not know Kenpo, so I can't really comment more than that.

I don’t know anything about isshin-ryu, so I cannot make comparisons. However, I will point out that the term kenpo/kempo is a pretty generic term that is a Japanese pronunciation for a Chinese term that essentially means “fighting method”, and this term is attached to numerous systems, some of which are closely related and others are not. So your experience could vary quite a bit, depending on which kenpo method is taught, and even which specific lineage within an otherwise larger kenpo method.

In the US, the term is often understood to mean the Hawaiian lineages that trace through William Chow in Honolulu, some of which then trace through Ed Parker (often going by the name “American Kenpo”) on the mainland, and others that do not trace through Mr. Parker. These Hawaiian kenpo systems are a large body of related systems but have grown and developed in their own ways, and are far from identical in their practice and training methods and curriculum.

A further example would be Shorinji Kempo, a Japanese method supposedly based on Shaolin Temple methods, and in no way connected to the Hawaiian kenpo systems.

So I do not believe a singular comparison can be made without knowing something of the specific kenpo that is being taught in your neck of the woods.
The type of kenpo I am referring to is specifically the style of Hawaiian kenpo taught by ed parker.

That would be the Kenpo that was taught by William Chow if I am correct.
While Parker's kenpo can be visually recognized as being based on Chow's, IMO he took it to a different level as far as tightening up the techniques, constructing his own kata, and devising his own teaching approach. The end result is clearly unique enough to be called a different style.

While Parker's kenpo can be visually recognized as being based on Chow's, IMO he took it to a different level as far as tightening up the techniques, constructing his own kata, and devising his own teaching approach. The end result is clearly unique enough to be called a different style.
I've heard that Nick Cerio also trained with Chow and Parker. Now there are a number of Cerio style dojos in Massachusetts. Supposedly Parker also promoted Cerio to 8th Dan rank. I don't know much about Isshinryu. Does it originate from Japan?

Isshinryu is a traditional Okinawan style derived mostly from Kyan's shorinryu but also contains elements of Miyagi's goju, as well as tonfa, sai and bo kata. It has some unique features not found in most other styles such as the vertical (non-twisting) punch and blocking with the muscled part of the arm. You can Google it for more info.

Isshinryu is a traditional Okinawan style derived mostly from Kyan's shorinryu but also contains elements of Miyagi's goju, as well as tonfa, sai and bo kata. It has some unique features not found in most other styles such as the vertical (non-twisting) punch and blocking with the muscled part of the arm. You can Google it for more info.
I once read an article in Black Belt magazine comparing Isshinryu to Wing Chun. I thought it was interesting. I'm trying to recall who here on MT told me he thought Isshinryu was not dissimilar to Combat Hapkido. I can't say as I don't know much about either system. But I have not seen anything quite like Isshinryu anywhere. Similarities, yes, but all karate seems to have some similarities.

If I am not mistaken, the Rengokai recognized Isshinryu as one of the four traditional Okinawan styles, but listed it as a subset of Shorinryu. That was some time ago, I could be wrong.

If I am not mistaken, the Rengokai recognized Isshinryu as one of the four traditional Okinawan styles, but listed it as a subset of Shorinryu.
This is what I was told by my sensei who is Master Tsuyoshi Uechi's representative in the USA. Didn't hear about it being listed as a subset of shorinryu, but still great recognition by the other masters in Okinawa, not only of the style, but of Master Uechi as well. It was largely by his efforts and reputation that this recognition was given.

That last part, “neck of the woods” was quite fitting, “small forest”… well spoke even if it wasn’t intended.

Latest Discussions

Back