How long can you hold a horse stance?

The pain is the same for everybody. Whether your body can take that pain or not is the key.
I'm not an expert on this, but I thought there were two independen things at play, and I presume both are trainable (independently or not i dont know?)

Lactate treshold - this is the limite in your body where the acidosis sets is. So if you have a higher treshold, you can delay the pain onset?

Lactate tolerance - how well you can cope with it (the pain?) once it sets in.

The pain is the same for everybody. Whether your body can take that pain or not is the key. Don't think about your body. Try to put your mind in something else. For example, if you watch TV when you sit in horse stance, you will get better result. The more that TV program is interested to you, the longer that you can stay in your horse stance.

Here is a question for everybody.

- A spends 20 minutes in horse stance.
- B spends 20 minutes in hip throw solo.

Who will get more training benefit?

B. will get application and conditioning benefit
A will just get conditioning benefit

I'm not an expert on this, but I thought there were two independen things at play, and I presume both are trainable (independently or not i dont know?)

Lactate treshold - this is the limite in your body where the acidosis sets is. So if you have a higher treshold, you can delay the pain onset?

Lactate tolerance - how well you can cope with it (the pain?) once it sets in.

This is insane to me.

Very true. Machines don't teach movement. The one thing I try to include with my weight training is to do exercises that include as many muscle groups as possible. Things like planks (difficult for me.) force me to use more than just muscles from my arms and my chest. Then I also use Plant Walk outs with variation

My variation is that I include one or two push-ups and a 5 second plank hold. When I return to standing position. I stretch upwards as if I'm trying to touch the ceiling without taking my heels off the ground. When I reach, I reach as far as I can then I try to elongate my spine by reaching up with my torso. I suck my stomach in and try to "sit up straight" while standing. It's that same type of feeling but it's done while standing.

There are machines that work the same groups of muscles but not at the same time and using the same motion for the same length of time that is done during the motion.

This is the trend I've noticed. More non-martial artists are doing horse stance than martial artist. There are tons of videos like this on youtube. They outnumber the martial arts videos about the horse stance.

I do this one at home with resistance bands, but I don't squat this low. I also do my horse stance with right foot forward and left foot forward as if I dropped to grab my opponent's leg to pull his feet from under him. Or if I drop my weight and pull my opponent to the ground.

Resistance Band have become my favorite weight training tool.
I quit lifting weights. Now I just use resistance bands for the last 6 months. So much better on my joints.

I quit lifting weights. Now I just use resistance bands for the last 6 months. So much better on my joints.
I still use dumbbells, but I don't run anymore because my joints are also not so good. The Kenpo helps me with my cardio, and I always leave thoroughly soaked from the workouts.

I prefer wall squats. They're easier to keep honest as you're holding them at parallel, therefore making it harder to cheat by reducing the depth. You also keep a nice flat back against the wall. Just held one for two sets of 1 minute 30 seconds.

I still use dumbbells, but I don't run anymore because my joints are also not so good. The Kenpo helps me with my cardio, and I always leave thoroughly soaked from the workouts.
Yeah I totally get what you are saying. Running isn't an option for me either. Tore my acl a few years back and a few other things with that knee, the cost outweighs the benefit for me. I too mainly get my cardio from training. Tabata is the best cardio you can get imo my teacher has us regularly do tabata stuff. I've looked into it and done some research. Stuff like hiit and tabata you can get pretty much the same cardio benefits of running, sometimes even better.

Running isn't an option for me either. Tore my acl a few years back and a few other things with that knee, the cost outweighs the benefit for me. I too mainly get my cardio from training.
I also try to use weight training to replace my running. But my body just doesn't feel the same. I enjoy the feeling that fresh air going through my lung in fast speed that weightlifting can't give me. I know I cannot run forever. But I try to keep running as long as I can. To me, 4 miles running is "battery charging" that's very important to me.

Just in another 30 minutes, I'll enjoy my 4 miles sand beach running.

I also try to use weight training to replace my running. But my body just doesn't feel the same. I enjoy the feeling that fresh air going through my lung in fast speed that weightlifting can't give me. I know I cannot run forever. But I try to keep running as long as I can. To me, 4 miles running is "battery charging" that's very important to me.

Just in another 30 minutes, I'll enjoy my 4 miles sand beach running.
Lift weights outside ;)

Yeah I totally get what you are saying. Running isn't an option for me either. Tore my acl a few years back and a few other things with that knee, the cost outweighs the benefit for me. I too mainly get my cardio from training. Tabata is the best cardio you can get imo my teacher has us regularly do tabata stuff. I've looked into it and done some research. Stuff like hiit and tabata you can get pretty much the same cardio benefits of running, sometimes even better.
I've never heard of Tabata but will check it out. Just going through forms and kata in the dojo gives me a great workout but I would like a good workout routine to do at home.

I would like a good workout routine to do at home.
You can do your kata at home. All you need is an 8 X 10 ft space (or less) and watch out for the TV. If you're still a little short of room, you can adjust your footwork and use switch steps (which lets you step in place). Such adjustments are a part of the deeper understanding kata and realistic advanced application. Little known, though.

I've never heard of Tabata but will check it out. Just going through forms and kata in the dojo gives me a great workout but I would like a good workout routine to do at home.
I find things like these useful. The one that I've got I'm no longer seeing unfortunately, but I'd imagine they're all pretty much the same. Small workouts you can do at home, randomize it so you don't get too bored/have the opportunity to work out everything by a run-through of the deck. There's also stretching/yoga ones available.

At your own risk, but, what I like to do when I have not much time is:
warm up with a dynamic stretching exercise, usually standing alternate one arm cross body toe touches
Single arm clean and overhead presses, alternating arms, for 2 minutes
pushups for a minute
Situps or ab rollouts if I have my ab wheel with me for a minute
then I will spend 6 minutes sandwiching doing a kata, then doing either 10 dumbbell swings or 10 burpees, then repeating with a different kata.
A timer will help, there are plenty available for free on the google app store.
People who are as old or older than me will recognise in this a variant of the workouts we did in our bedrooms as teenagers, except with heavier weights. It really can be a valid and productive way to train and it fits a lot into a short time. If you do not possess any heavy objects, I would recommend eliminating the presses, doing some sort of move for your back like back raises, and doing burpees instead of swings.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back